The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Pitch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
When you have selected a restaurant that you wish to perform at, do you 1) send a letter briefly describing your services, 2) call and set up a meeting with the appropriate person, or 3) go in and cold sell the idea?

I have tried 2 out of 3 of these ideas and I'm not sure which one is the most efficient. Any comments from personal exierence would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Hello

I think it is best to go to the restaurant for several meals and maybe do some magic for the help. You could even ask for the manager do a quick demo and leave a business card. Based on the reactions from the manager you will know whether or not there is an opportunity for a job. I have been doing walk around magic at Applebee's Restaurant for the last 6 months. You could even off to come in for an hour and work free just to see how people will react to your magic. If people like what you are doing you may get a foot in the door.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Walk in and cold sell.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Here is the process I used...

I went to a few restaurants to see which ones would be suitable.
I phoned the restaurants and asked for the name of the general manager.
I sent letters introducing myself, explaining what restaurant magic is and that I would call in a few days to arrange a free hour of magic so s/he could check it out.
I called and made an appointment.
After meeting with the manager and showing my stuff I negotiated a fee.

Good luck!
James
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Unless you like your letter thrown out, don't send as an introduction. Trust me it is gone fast.

Most restaurant people have no time for meetings who are not selling them meat, or Sysco.

So that leaves you with walk in cold and sell.

Learn the art of cold selling. It is tough, requires Rhino skin, but is very effective.

You have a 4th option. Find a great salesman, and offer a straight comission. Salesmen can sell anything. Juat ask them. You don't need agents for this kind of work trust me.

Heck a meat distributer that a salesmen reps would pitch you to the restaurants he is selling to works well.

Your forte is magic probably. Find someone whose forte is selling and try to use them. Liquer reps, Sysco reps, meat, fish, all these people have salesmen working for comission with ACCESS to the decision makers. Use them.

Hope this helps. Take it seriuosly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
Thanks for the info guys, either way it's a fun challenge! I don't think that it's worth going out and finding a sales man to pitch it to the restaurant just yet. Maybe if I get really busy with it or something, but then again I think it's a very useful skill to learn how to sell.

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also you cant get busy if you can t sell now can you? If your act is not worth selling then don't sell the thing yourself. If it is worth selling, then having someone who sells as well as you do it IS worthwhile. Business 101
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Pitch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL