We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science/space (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Hey is there anyone else out there interested in space? like black holes, white holes, and all that facy smancy stuff?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yes....

I try to keep up with the current astronomical advances of the day
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
You know its funny you could never tell from your avatar.. I suggest you change it.. haha Yes I love science!! we should chat about it sometime! are yuo a scientist?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
14 year veteran High School Science Teacher. I consider Physics to bbe my specialty. I love astronomy, and have the luck to live fairly close to Nasa's JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory), and Edwards air force base, where the shuttle occaisionally lands. I have some college teacher friends who are big into astronomy, and one peer who lectures at our local planetarium sometimes.

How about you?

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I like space and astronomy. I was lucky, we had this right inside the High School I attended. Gary Sampson (now deceased) was my teacher.

http://west.wauwatosa.k12.wi.us/planetarium/index.htm
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well I am only 15 but I also read up on anti matter etc and newtonian mechanics. thermodynamics and what not. Any ideas on what JPL is up to now a days? I would like to see cold fusion or antimatter propelling these ships.... Andy what aspects of astronomy are you mostly interested in?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
JPL is busy monitoring Casini just now. Long range plans include a landing on Europa (an Ice covered moon of Jupiter) with a heater to melt through the ice to find id there is an ocean world, and maybe even "fish?" There is some resistance to the idea of "invading" another world, and possible damage or interference that ccould be caused.

The up and coming propulsion system is really the ion drive. Cold fusion has been done once by I believe a frenchman, who could neither subnstantite or repeat his efforts. For today clod fusion is a dream. I have seen the hot fusion Tokamac at U.C.L.A. The thing is huge, gives off a deadly magnetic field and generates almost the heat of the outer layers of the sun!

Amazing things are coming.
Magic is like Science,
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Wow ion will get job done I guess. they should go to that antimatter cloud out in our solar system... hey I heard a myth about people shining light or something in a vaccum and there was an electron and its anti particle a positron there.. is this true?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have no idea if that story is true, I have not heard it before. Anti mater does exist. It is quite costly to create, and costly to sotre as it needs to be kept in a vacuum bottle so it will not touch any other mater.

As to the anit-mater drive of star trek fame, it is dependant on Dilithium crystals (quartz that exists in 2-dimensions at once) We will not hace that technology until we (like the star trekers) discover the next level of the periodic table.

Ion propulsion will not give us the speed we would need for humans to colonize other galaxies. By ion drive Proxima Centaruri (the next closest star to the sun) is still a 40 year trip one way. And there are no guarentees that we would find life, or even planets there. It could be a wasted trip. This drive system is to send a robot out to send back information.
Magic is like Science,
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Yha I guess we are gradually taking it slow... what are you thoughts on deep impac? what do you think they will find in there?

Do you think their will be any big breathroughs soon?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There has been little done as regards space travel ... for the last thirty years. Actually since Clarke wrote a few things extending the ideas of that Russian writer who really kick started the field.

Consider the social implications of slower than light travel to nearby stars...

Consider the basic biological vulnerabilities of our bodies to radiation and lack of gravity. Has there been even one inter generational experiment? Nope. The most we know so far came from the few folks who stayed up there for a while and needed rehabilitation when they came back

The findings of science seem much stranger than any fiction, and I optimistically hold hope that we can set our minds to finding better answers than we have now and get ourselves set up off world before a giant rock hits the Earth and destroys most of civilization if not life itself here.

Dilithium crystals? Anti-mater engines? Warp drive? Nice techobabble for a TV show. The transporter was especially fanciful yet useful in the show. What then for real? There are plenty of speculative mathematical models offerd in theoretical physics. These "models" are looking for good experiments to demonstrate their utility. Such things as extra dimensions and topological theories involving multiple connectedness may prove fruitful and even useful.

No criticism of science fiction literature here. Lots of wonderful speculation and what-if stuff in our literature. As it happens, the known universe is stranger than our stories. Amazing place. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Actually Johnathan,

I have seen the working, real, transporter with my own four eyes. It is located at Cal-Tech which is not so far from where I live.

Now to be honest and realistic, it transporets only a photon, and only a few feet, but it does work. Transporting humans is surely a bit away yet.

I don't know if the stuff of science fiction will ever be real and usable by humans, but I am reminded of my grandfather (a scientist) who in 1950 told my then 13 year old mother that "man could never reach the moon. We could build a ship to get there, but man couldn't live long enough to make the long trip there and back." It took less than 20 years for him to be proved wrong, and he lived to see it too. This from a man who was born 5 months BEFORE the wright brothers flew, and died a world traveler.

I will be amazed to see what comes next.
Magic is like Science,
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
There has been tons of technological advances in space travel... canada arm inside a spaceship!! that's AMAZING :O we need to update out suits though... mrtians will think we're out of style... also Cliff I don't think it actualyy "transports" it.. it just use the matter oaround the destination point and creates a exact replica.. destroyign the original in the process.... that why we wait on human teleportation or life for that matter... because we livings things have free will etc.. which I don't think can be replicated.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Let's see, the photon trick "reads" then "copies" the quantum states of single particle, and as noted, the "read" is desctructive hence the amusing reference to "transporting". How many particles in a person? 10**23 or so? Non trivial problem there. Smile

From Tzilikofski (sp - the Russian from earlier) there has been little advancement. He wrote in the 1920s. Still action reaction etc. Clarke got the geosynchronous orbit stuff right and prefigured GPS which is a great thing.

Solar sails and ion drive are 40 year old ideas now. LASERS / particle beam werapons are also old news, as is using bombs to power a ship. What's new?

Anyone got a clue about how to live in space? Effects of rotational gravity pseudo gravity on living creatures? Long term intergenerational effects of zero gravity? And... the SOCIAL implications of long term travel.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Action reaction is a law so ofcours that hasn't changed lol. We have come quite the way if you ask me.. deep impact the recent shuttle... maybe not astronomical size changes or changes that I wish were bigger but oh well. Also I meant teleportation of larger objects.... like a helium atom... it would find two hydrogen and merge them and destroy the original.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Action/Reaction ... Newton's laws... 1680. They still seem pretty good.

The rocket stuff goes back to the 1920s.

There are some mind boggling ideas in theoretical physics about multiple universes that may have implications for travel.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Yes there are... Johnathan sorry for the spelling but have you heard about the shwartzenhier child effect I believe it is? putting exotic matter in a wormhole to travel the the folded universe? the exotic matter opens up a... dare I say... throat.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

What?
1) you mean the guy who solved einstein's equations for a point mass in an empty universe and found the event horizon at a certain radius?

2) wormholes. I was not aware that any stabile solutions to einsteins equations had bridges between places. the black hole singularity neighborhood does not seem to permit this travel.

3) exotic matter? has any been detected? what are its properties?
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well rumour has it exotic matter is in meutron stars..... it deflects all the negative energy in a wormhole opening a throat. Like when a black hole buts a curve in space time... so the universe would be like a U shape and a wormhole would connect one end of the univers to the other.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
You may like to view these two sites.

http://www.space.com/

http://www.livescience.com/

Quote:
putting exotic matter in a wormhole

Would increase the wormholes mass by the amount introduced. As we could not produce sufficient matter to matter to a black hole.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science/space (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL