The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science/space (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 00:49, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
and I optimistically hold hope that we can set our minds to finding better answers than we have now and get ourselves set up off world before a giant rock hits the Earth and destroys most of civilization if not life itself here.

Nice post Jon, such a pleasant thought. Smile I guess if this were to happen there would be ALOT of space here on Earth.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 07:54, kihei kid wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 00:49, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
and I optimistically hold hope that we can set our minds to finding better answers than we have now and get ourselves set up off world before a giant rock hits the Earth and destroys most of civilization if not life itself here.

Nice post Jon, such a pleasant thought. Smile I guess if this were to happen there would be ALOT of space here on Earth.

Quite welcome. As a student of science one is sometimes obligated to remind folks that large rocks have hit our planet before, and likely will again. The question is what we can do to make sure humanity does better than the rest of the local flora and fauna.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Large rocks? What to do?

Other than putting the human race into caves, I think there is not much to be done. In the movie (I forget which) the asteroid gets split in half and misses the earth. Scientifically this is flawed. I don't recall how near the miss was, but I think a Near Earth object, (at least that near) would either super heat earths atmosphere, draw it off completely or both. Either way, we have no viable defence against this problem with today's technology, and yes, it will happen again. I am hoping to be mercifully long dead when it does.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-25 17:04, Cliffg37 wrote:...and yes, it will happen again. I am hoping to be mercifully long dead when it does.

One of the reasons to get space travel happening and colonize other places.
Rimeister
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of Rimeister
I was recently watching a show on Discovery channel on near earth asteroids, and what we'd do if they were headed on a collision course with earth. Here's the two ideas that were proposed:

Plan A: If it's a solid asteroid (as opposed to a porous one) then a weapon would be detonated NEAR the asteroid (not on it or in it), and would send it off course and away from earth. If it were just blown up then the debris created would be potentially more dangerous than the asteroid was in the first place.

Plan B) If it's a porous asteroid Plan A wouldn't work because the asteroid would simply absorb the blast. Plan B involves using a giant concave mirror (actually they said it wouldn't be made of actual mirror, but instead a reflective material that unfolds and makes a giant concave reflective surface)that would focus the sun's light onto one spot on the surface of the asteroid, burning a hole in it, which releases energy and acts like a jet to gently send it off course. Plan B could also be used if its a solid asteroid.

Anyways, that's what I got out of the program. Any thoughts on these ideas?
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I wouldn't rule out teleportation just yet ... at one time, computers were 1 mhz. Then 8 mhz ... 25 mhz ... 33 mhz ... 166 mhz ... 233 mhz ... 400 mhz ... 550 mhz ... 1 gig ... now they are up to 4 gigs or so? The numbers add up faster than 1-2-3, so if they can move one molocule today how many will they be able to move in 20 years?

My biggest interest in space is in colonization. I'd like to see NASA send the space shuttle over to the moon and drop off hundreds of robots to explore the surface. The robots could be hooked up to the internet, so that people can log in and for a small fee control the robots - exploring the entire surface of the moon in search of water. If we could find water on the moon, we could colonize the moon - the only reason we havn't already colonized the moon is because it would be too expensive to launch enough water from earth to the moon.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I'm gonna hitch a lift on hallys comet the next time it passes by.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:

On 2005-07-26 01:16, JoeJoe wrote:
I wouldn't rule out teleportation just yet ... at one time, computers were 1 mhz. Then 8 mhz ... 25 mhz ... 33 mhz ... 166 mhz ... 233 mhz ... 400 mhz ... 550 mhz ... 1 gig ... now they are up to 4 gigs or so? The numbers add up faster than 1-2-3, so if they can move one molocule today how many will they be able to move in 20 years?

JoeJoe

I don't think the problem is in how many they can move. I think the problem would be arranging them back together the correct way. Would you really want to be destroyed and then basically copied in another location? Would it still be you? What about your memories and thoughts? Would they be copied also?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-26 01:16, JoeJoe wrote:...If we could find water ...

There seems to be plenty of water in our solar system, entire rings if ice chunks.

As to sci-fi stuff like teleportation... please, rofl, um... not quite yet for some pretty obvious reasons. However if you feel like learning some physics and come up with a feasible approach, you would be well remembered. Smile
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
If we could find water on the moon, we could colonize the moon - the only reason we havn't already colonized the moon is because it would be too expensive to launch enough water from earth to the moon.

If I’m not mistaken (feel free to correct me, as usual) the moon itself is most likely are immediate danger because it is slipping away from Earth.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
If we could find water on the moon, we could colonize the moon - the only reason we havn't already colonized the moon is because it would be too expensive to launch enough water from earth to the moon.

JoeJoe

Couldn't we just send up powdered water? They could send up dehydrated water and then when it gets there the astronauts could just add..oh wait. Forget it. There goes that theory. Just like my landing on the Sun at night theory. Science is so hard.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Rimeister
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of Rimeister
I did some research on the receding moon, I found a site on bbc.co.uk website that gave details about it http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/pda/A399909?s_id=5 .
I looked at a bunch of other sites as well, but none of them actually gave details about the effects of it receding.
Apparently it's moving away from us at 3.8 cm per year due to 'tidal friction'. Personally, I'm not concerned.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well I don't think we would send water to the moon... We would most likely with our technology today send up hydrogen and oxygen and make it ourselves...It would be perfect to somehow get to that anti matter cloud.... and bring a whole bunch of it back... Jonathon is right about teleprtation.. it is defineitly not right for us now... neither is cloning I would say... if we can't clone don't teleport!
Also about shuttle discovery...what are the plans for that trip? Also it would be best if we could find some way to somehow move our planet to dodge asteroids...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Remember the real problem with water is its' weight coupled with the fact that is cannot be compressed. Howerver oxygen and hydrogen are both light weight and easily compressed. This is possibly a solution at least short term. Long term where ever we go we must be able to provide our own resources.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Exactly... but also the water would also most likely be contained in controlled environments so the water doesn't freeze or evaporate.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
It is apparent too me that liquid (water) is best transported/produced in organic structures.
Thus genetic manipulation would be reqired to create a biological device to manifacture/contain liquid for dispensation.

An ideal would be a transportation or accomodation device that would itself be alive. Alive in the sense of a tree.
It would recycle liquid (as it is done on earth) by a simple means and produce a nectar that would sustain. The concept of bio-habitats is not new and has been looked at from many perspectives.
For an excellent view of bio-habitats look to eden (Peter f. Hamilton) where the habitat is not only the provider but an entity (or group of) that allows paracitical infestation by humans (or similar).
- Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Partizan, have a look at 'Swarm' by Bruce Sterling. Smile

As to what we call things that transport water in space... usually called comets, which might be nature's version of UPS.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I say screw space exploration. Waste of money when we haven't even finished exploring our own planet. I think that we know more about out galaxy and the universe than the deepest depths of out own ocean.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
At the rate of population expansion, the eradication of disease, the fertility treatments and so on. the resources of this planet WILL NOT last much longer (evolutionary time scale).

Thanks JT. will have a look at it. Also note David Brin and Gregory Benfords book Heart of the comet. This book looks at a mission to colonise hallies comet on its passby.
- Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-01 02:38, Joey Stalin wrote:
...space exploration. Waste of money when we haven't even finished exploring our own planet. I think that we know more about out galaxy and the universe than the deepest depths of out own ocean.

A few issues there

1) Cost/benefit for space program is HUGE. Much easier to get set up in zero-g and free space than in crushing pressures and dark of ocean. Also far less likely to horrible ecological damage in local space.

2) Finished... lol. The final frontier was and remains our exploration of how we are and what we can do. Did you know that our culture has very little language for expressing the inner experience and accepting other perspectives?

3) There are survival issues at stake given our planet's history of being hit by large rocks.

4) There are freely accessible resources in space which permit mining/building/experimenting in ways we cannot do here. Among the things we have yet to find is a technology which can withstand the environment at the bottom of our ocean.

The sane arguments for space exploration care a) survival benefits, b) resource acquisition, c) safer experimentation and d) relative ease compared to oceanic exploration and ... lastly (sadly) the ecological issue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science/space (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL