The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How did Houdini die...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I heard multiple times that he died when a kid punched him in the stomach and got a appendicitis. Then I found an urban legends site that says that did NOT happen. So whats the truth?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
As I read in his biography, the punch may or may not have exasterbated the apendicitis he was alreay carrying. One absolute fact was that in the Tony Curtis movie, he died in the water tank. This is a complete fabrication. There is at least one report that suggests Doctors at his death bed felt if he had come to the hospital sooner, they might have saved his life.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Try to pick up a copy of "Thr Man Who Killed Houdini" by Don Bell. They have it on Amazon.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
jbrandt
View Profile
New user
Saskatchewan
60 Posts

Profile of jbrandt
I've actually looked into this myself... I'm a big fan of Houdini. I went into the newspaper archives and found the article from the day after he died. Like Cliffg37 said, he already had the apendicitis, and that is a bad enough thing to have in the first place. And although it's not definite, they believe that the punch he received may have ruptured his appendix and that released toxins into his system. He was rushed to the hospital once he showed his symptoms, but by then it was too late. If his apendix had been treated before it had ruptured, he would have been as good as new. Hope that was helpful.

- Jared
Jared Brandt
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Don't believe any of the urban legends or conspiricy theroies out there. Listen to Jared and Cliff, they have the real story. And while we are on the subject of complete and total B.S., don't believe any of that nonsense about HOUDINI being reincarnated as Norm Bigelow! We all know that HOUDINI had to come back as a plant in his next life and then as a dog in the one after that for being such a doubting Thomas while he was alive! Karma is a real witch, aye?!! That will teach you to doubt whether there is an afterlife! How do you like that, HOUDINI?!!! LOL! This random act of insanity has been brought to you by: The Amazing Michael.....have a nice day!!!
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
I didn't but it was on a reliable site. I wanted to send them an email telling how he really died but wasn't sure how he died. I only new what I read in "Mysterious Stranger" and what my older magician freind (escape artist) told me.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Peritonitis.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Harley has it right. The official line is peritonitis. In those days they didn't have the technology to detect and treat in time.

As Kevin says, try to get Don Bell's book - "The Man who Killed Houdini"

It's a very deep look at all the people who were in the room when the fatal punch was struck. It's almost a detective story. You'll maybe need to draw your own conclusions when you have read it, and you may be confused, but worth a look.

I mentioned on an earlier thread that I did my Houdini lecture to a room full of doctors and their views were that a punch in the stomach could NOT bring on a ruptured appendix because the punch would have been too high. They thought that the appendicitis was already there, possibly at an advanced stage, and the punch didn't affect it.

It would be good to hear any other thoughts......

Mick
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
If you look into this, you will discover that Houdini's life insurance had a provision that would pay extra if his death was due to an accident associated with performing. Nowadays, insurance companies will look for any excuse to save a nickel, but in Houdini's day, he was immensely famous and his widow received a great deal of public sympathy. The insurance company and the doctors decided that the blow contributed to his death and paid the extra money. I am not questioning whether this decision was medically sound or not, but in terms of public relations for his insurance company it certainly didn't hurt.

This would explain why the story is that the blow contributed to his death, even though some physicians of today dispute that on medical grounds.

Yours,

Paul
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
Peritonitis sounds like that one mouth desease. is that the right spelling?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5297 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Peritonitis (correct spelling) is an inflammation (irritation) of the peritoneum, the membrane that lines the wall of the abdomen and covers the abdominal organs. The rupture of an appendix is a cause of peritonitis.

Pyorrhea is an inflammation of the gums and tooth sockets leading to the loosening of the teeth.

I suspect that is more than you wanted to know.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

And Houdini had both or so Groucho Marx said. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Quote:
"Try to pick up a copy of "Thr Man Who Killed Houdini" by Don Bell. "

Too bad he never got to finish the book. Needed to be finished. Interesting non the less.

Dick Brooks and Dorothy Dietrich
Houdini Museum in Scranton
New show, "HAUNTED!"
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Who says he died??? >:o) (Stop it Wolfie! No Spreading Rumours!!!)
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
JDKelley
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JDKelley
Quote:
On 2006-05-17 07:50, Wolflock wrote:
Who says he died??? >:o) (Stop it Wolfie! No Spreading Rumours!!!)

Uhh...yeah....He's 131 years old and living in upstate New York. LOL!!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Dead? I didn't even know he was sick! (rim shot)
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
HE exploded on july,5,1933.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 22:23, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Try to pick up a copy of "Thr Man Who Killed Houdini" by Don Bell. They have it on Amazon.

I bought a copy and found it to be very well done. The years of research Mr. Bell did and all the traveling was incredible.

Ron
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I liked the book too. The only thing with it was when the son added the last page chapter at the end. I said was WTF! I know the father just missed finishing the book, but to put that in at the last second, tainted the work for me.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Hi;

Things have quieted down here for a few days, so this thread popped up and I thought I would bring it up to date. You might want to check out
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2012/01/......ent-form

That thread has some interesting info about Houdini's death including some interesting comments from Pat Culliton who really knows Houdini, and some different views from myself.

Also check out additional info on our website at http://houdini.org/houdinimurdered.html

There also is some additional recent banter on a few other threads on The Magic Café.

Dick Brookz & Dorothy Dietrich
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How did Houdini die...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL