The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic Bingo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I don't do Gospel magic, per se, though I do occassionally do a effect to make or emphasize a point in teaching or simply to entertain at a church function. But, I found Mark Wilson's magic Bingo to be a tremendous effect with wide reaching use in and around the Church setting. My first use of it was at our Pascha (easter), Orthodox have a long fast preceeding pascha, and it ends after the Pascha liturgy which starts at midnight. We generally have a breakfast following this, and it is supposed to be a celebration. Well it is in the wee hours of the morning, the service before is a long one, everyone is tired, we always seemed to lack the energy for much of a celebration at the breakfast. Well this year I got Mark's magic bingo at a lecture Mark gave in Little Rock. I thought I'd try it out. The people grumbled at my insisting that we play a game of bingo for a "wonderful prize", but grudgingly went along with it. I told them that the first person to jump up and shout "Christos Anesti" (Christ is risen, the traditional Orthodox pascha greeting) would win the wonderful prize, and in case of a tie, the first person I saw jump up and heard would be the winner. Well in the Wilson magic bingo effect, everybody has different cards, but they all make a BINGO at the same instant. They all jumped up and shouted "Christos Anesti" simultaenously. I think we woke up people for about 3 blocks around us. It got the engergy moving and the celebration in high gear.
I've talked with Mark and several fellow clergy-magicians who have used this effect and here are some of the things that have been done with it that could apply to Gospel magic. Mark or your local printer can have the cards printed with any 5 letter word across the top other than bingo, such as Saved, Faith, Glory, Jesus (to get around the duplicate letter you can have a small subscript number by one of the "s" or captialize the middle one, etc), Grace, Moses, Judah, let your imagination go. (mark also now has a punch out card that doesn't require a pencil or marker to mark the cards) A message can be given in response to the whole group shouting the word or phrase you select.. You can simply use BINGO but have them shout out something , such as "Jesus is Lord" or "Jesus Saves" or what ever as the prize claim. You can use it to illustrate a point, tell a story, get the group motivated, liven a tired crowd who has been at a long seminar or the like. Promote an upcoming church event, or stewardship rally, or fund raiser, or to promote enthusiasm for upcoming revivals or attendance drives. It can be used in Sunday school, vacation bible school. Let ur mind work a bit on it, you will see it has near limitless uses. I've only had mine a few months now and have nearly worn it out. If you do birthday parties it gets all the kids to simultaneously jump up and shout "happy birthday N.N."
This effect has so many possible uses for a Gospel magician. Mark is in the process of trying to collect uses that have been done and those that clergy-magicians have thought of to make available as part of the effect so when you acquire it you already have a lot of ready made ideas.
I've never found one effect with such a wide range of potential uses, especially for church and evangelism use. It works for both kids and adults.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I like this idea
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have been using Mark Wilson magic bingo for about a year now.
I call it Jesus bingo. It is awesome when everyone wins at the same time and everyone stands up and yells Jesus at the same time.
Photius you are the only other person I have heard come up with this idea.
It's not an effect I generally talk about because it is going to be a part of my gospel illusion show.
Daniel Faith
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
This works very well for Tony Robbins and other self help guys as well as cult leaders etc. Get a bunch of people emotionally shouting at the same time and you'll soon create a group mood condusive to high levels of influence over behaviour.
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
You lost me
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-01-27 13:25, drkptrs1975 wrote:
You lost me

You need to drink the kool-aid to understand
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Nicholas and Payne:

With all due respect to your comments, Mark Wilson's "Magic Bingo" and shouting out "Jesus" instead of "Bingo" at the end of the trick is far removed from what Tony Robbins may do, and extremely far removed from what Jim Jones did!

As far as "Magic Bingo" goes, although I am aware of the high regard many have for the effect, I saw it performed by another magician and it really didn't do much for me.

Any other thoughts on the effect?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I was asked to come up with something for a division meeting so I thought this might play well. I printed up a bunch of cards. I work for Seattle City Light so replaced BINGO with LIGHT. I was really anxious to see how it would play, and if the cards I created would actually work but they canceled the meeting so I never got the chance to see if it would.
We have a dinner theater hear called Teatro Zin Zani and they use it in their show with great success. Everyone in the audience simultaneously wins except for one guy who then gets serenaded with a song about losers.

I agree having everyone jump up and shout out hallelujah or jesus is far removed from what cult leaders do. I was just trying to give Drkprts1975 a hint as to the meaning of Nicholas' post
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I was merely drawing a point of comparison for people to think about. One tiny similarty does not *** an entire organisation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic Bingo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL