The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The single most useful book on card magic is.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
If the criteria is most useful it would have to be the Card Collage series, books 1 through 4.

No other series of books, or any one book will provide AS MUCH, benifit to both new students to card magic and experianced workers. It covers EVERYTHING you need to learn to be a card magician. Other books and series may be filled with lot of great tricks (Art Of Astonishment for example) or brilliant sleights (Revolutionary Card Technique) but none of them provide a taste of EVERTHING it takes to be good.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Just depends if you're focused on learning techniques and sleights, go straight to CC vol 1 to 4. Vol 5 is dedicated to tricks. If you're looking for great tricks and splendid magic, AoA is definitely one of the best source. Careful: no techniques, no tricks...
Smile Smile Smile
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
To answer correctly and be of the most help the term useful must be defined as Mago Gregorio and others have alluded to.
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
I will have to say "Royal Road to Card Magic". It has a lot of the basics you need to know as a cardman. (It also happens to be the book that got me started, so I'm biased Smile )

If I could choose a second book I would have to say "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz. It's not about card techniques per se (it's about the presentation of card / close-up magic), but has impacted my magic more than anything else out there.

Steve
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4456 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Guys, please remember, he said which SINGLE book, not series, you are not helping him saying all different series all the time, and yes we can agree Card College, but choose the most useful 1 from the 5. Peopel who are saying EATCT and RRTCM understand
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
333 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
I join some of the guys here with "Expert card technique" by Jean Hugard and fredreek brue and "Expert at the card table" by S.W erdanse which Davi Vernon said many time that this is the BEST book in magic.

There is a thumb rule in magic books-I heard it form Max Maven.

"For each book you read that was written after 1970-read two that were written before"

Have fun

ROi
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4456 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 15:51, roi_tau wrote:

There is a thumb rule in magic books-I heard it form Max Maven.

"For each book you read that was written after 1970-read two that were written before"

I havent heard that quote before, but I like it, thanks
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
333 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
You are welcome.

I read it in one of the linking ring magazines where he had an interview with Eugine Burger.
If you want I can check for the issue number.

Have fun
Roi
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Expert Card Technique: Close-Up Table Magic by J. Hugard is my pick.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
spiritx2005
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of spiritx2005
Many thanks one and all. I know the initial question was fundamentally flawed.

As it happens I have Expert Card Technique and Royal Road on the way right now and I am satisfied that I have made good purchases.

I'll also definitely check out Card College when I get the chance and I like the sound of Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie, as mentioned by Rennie.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein ...
Otis Day
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
150 Posts

Profile of Otis Day
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2005-07-23 07:56, KidCrenshaw wrote:
The question is simple, what book do you find most usefull?

Answer it honestly. Not for one reason or another, just usefull period.

For me, it's Royal Road. For the money, and size, it packs a punch. Passes, doubles, shuffles, cuts, tricks, and a bit of theory.

Good stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually that wasn't the question.

Quote:

In your opinion what is the single most useful book for card magic, and please include the author if you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, that Was the question, paraphrased. It's Close up Card Magic by Lorayne.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 15:20, Chuds wrote:
Guys, please remember, he said which SINGLE book, not series, you are not helping him saying all different series all the time, and yes we can agree Card College, but choose the most useful 1 from the 5. Peopel who are saying EATCT and RRTCM understand

Actually...Card College vols 1 to 5 have the pages # "continuously" if you know what I mean. So in a way, it IS one book, simply broken up into separate volumes.
tjo'
DustyDave
View Profile
New user
Santa Fe, New Mexico
44 Posts

Profile of DustyDave
One book? (With the definition being all contents between two covers). I would have to say that TRRTCM would get a person a looong ways towards competency with cards.

Look at it from this angle, also. TRRTCM sells for about 12 bucks. Last I looked, the five volumes of Card College were selling for 37 bucks each. Correct me if I can get them cheaper, 'cause I would like to add them to my library. I know a fellow could learn a ton from them also.

Dusty Dave
John Jorgensen
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of John Jorgensen
In my original post I said it's not an easy question. I studied card magic a long time before I ever got Royal Road To Card Magic. Therefor the book didn't really help me. I still think it's a great book and I recommend it. However, for me personally it wasn't a "greatest" since I knew a lot of the material in already. If I was making a recommendation for a complete beginner, then there you go. I wasn't asked that so I didn't do that.

That's why I want more clarity on the aim of the question. Also, what does price matter? If ones a better book then another, what does price have to do with that. Price was never in the original question either.

John
John
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
The guy said he'd only been at it a few months. That should give you an indication as to what he may be asking.

Encyclopedia Of Card Tricks is nice, but should come after RRTCM in my opinion for obvious reasons. I'm not aware of another book devoted to card MAGIC that will give you a more thourough grasp of the fundamentals. But I've been wrong before.

Put it this way, SpiritX, if you're just getting into this card magic thing (6 months to a year or less), you'll really enjoy RRTCM. Since you have ordered it, let me give you a piece of advice on how to approach it.

The chapters are like a series, chronological, and in a specific order. Spend some time on each chapter before you move on to the next. It also gives tricks at the end of each chapter that utilize what you've already learned. It's comparitive to Mark Wilsons Complete Course Of Magic, which incidentally is my choice for best all around SINGLE book.

For sets I'm going with AoA, awesome stuff.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
spiritx2005
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of spiritx2005
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when RRTCM arrives.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein ...
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
I would also like to add "Card College" volumes 1 through 3 in particular.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Well, one that has the basic skills down for most of magic, can live off of the money they make from Stars of Magic, that book alone has an entire act, and more!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The guy bought Royal Road and Expert Card Technique. With those two books, he will have all the info he needs to become a world-class card man. (Good choices! Well done, sir!) If you're looking for a book to go to after that, you can't go wrong with books by Peter Duffie, John Bannon, Harry Lorayne, John Bannon, Larry Jennings, Alex Elmsley, Roy Walton, Dai Vernon, Brother John Hammon, Paul Harris, etc.

Bottom line: The single most useful book on card magic is the one you will actually study and from which you actually appropriate and perform the material.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
I would say the most useful is Royal Road to Card Magic

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The single most useful book on card magic is.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL