The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Windshear Fan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I would like info on the illusion, rights, etc. I am very intrested in the illusion. I think Bill Smith built it. Right? Just some info on getting the illusion would be great thanks!

Justin Smile
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of reedrc
well try calling bill smith..........
expect on spending around 10 grand or so

http://www.magicventures.com
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Bill Smith builds it, but Jim Steinmeyer created it so do I have to pay him too? How does it all work out. Could someone please explain the ownership rights for illusions to me. Specifically right for the Windshear Fan. Thanks in advance!

Justin Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Your answer can be found right here in Jim's own words.

http://www.zigmont.com/backstage.html
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of reedrc
OR JUST CALL BILL.......Plain and simple guys....
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
The deal is that the $9250.00 advertised price is for the illusion, ata case and design fee and performing rights.
Bill smith pays Jim his design fee. The one ata forces you to lift the 250 pound lower end of the illusion up and out of the case.
I spent an additional 650.00 and have the ilusion breaking down into two cases.
The two cases is in the range of 600.00 total for illusion and cases. The one case would be somewhere around 425 pounds.
http://www.magicventures.com/HTML/illusions.html
Zigmont
Magic F/X
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
141 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
A few points to consider...

the illusion is fairly large and heavy. We have ours in one 52x52x52 case total weight is around 1100 pounds

Lighting is crucial for the proper effect

it has some angle issues

Just a couple of things to think about
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Thanks, that helps out a lot!
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Quote:
A few points to consider...the illusion is fairly large and heavy. We have ours in one 52x52x52 case total weight is around 1100 pounds

Just to be fair to all that will consider this illusion, the weight is not 1100 pounds (Thats one of DC death saw cases) its more in the 550 pound range. Again you can always check with Magic Ventures.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
141 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
Quote:
Just to be fair to all that will consider this illusion, the weight is not 1100 pounds (Thats one of DC death saw cases) its more in the 550 pound range. Again you can always check with Magic Ventures.

Our Windshear in its case is around 1100 pounds. of course, our is one of the first five made...maybe they have brought the weight down a little.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Consider too that there ARE dfferent styles and designs that a client may wish too, Did you have some mods done or something different done Knight? Or was it just the standard version? Also:case design could be different too, What cases are you using steve? Knight?

:) cheers,
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Hi

I use two encore series E ata's.
I talked to Bill Smith and he said the 1100 pounds is way off the mark and Bill is really concerned about anyone thinking that windshear is that heavy.

Knight we are assuming that your talking about the Spencers unit.

So from the builder himself he says that its not that heavy.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
jacoblucas
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jacoblucas
One of the my friend from india he is making this illusion may be thay did not provide any fees to Mr.jim for that designe but as iseen this illusion it is all the way same as I think and as per the cost its low
jacoblucas
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jacoblucas
Any body knows what fees charge by Jim Steinmeyer for his designe from his illusion list for making for magician
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Something must have been lost in translation here. You can't just build the prop and then pay for the performance fee. The prop has to be built by an authorized builder, Bill Smith Magic Ventures for instance. The reason for this is to keep the original design intact, and to avoid exposure of the method used.

Making a rip-off is just that .. and you make us all look bad.

Steve
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-08-13 14:27, Chezaday wrote:
Something must have been lost in translation here. You can't just build the prop and then pay for the performance fee. The prop has to be built by an authorized builder, Bill Smith Magic Ventures for instance.

Steve

Steve,

I agree but the previous poster may have assumed Windshear could be built by just paying for rights because Steinmeyer has done that in the past with Origami. Kudos to him for wanting to pay for the rights rather than rip if off as his friend did.

Best,

Tim
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Hold on ... the Origami Box Illusion is only available through two authorized builders, John Gaughn and Wellington Enterprises. There are many unauthorized copies out there .. without performance rights.

Maybe you meant "Modern Art" which was allowed to be built with the purchase of his book. I don't like to correct friends .. but I'm pretty sure I've got the facts on this one.

Steve
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-08-14 02:39, Chezaday wrote:
Hold on ... the Origami Box Illusion is only available through two authorized builders, John Gaughn and Wellington Enterprises. There are many unauthorized copies out there .. without performance rights.

Maybe you meant "Modern Art" which was allowed to be built with the purchase of his book. I don't like to correct friends .. but I'm pretty sure I've got the facts on this one.

Steve

NOPE... Anyone can build Origami by simply sending Jim the performance rights. A friend of mine built one of the first ones years ago when the rights were $1500. I've see the prop and the cancelled check from Jim ( saved for the autograph ) . I think the rights go for around $500 these days.

Best,

Tim
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
How does that work? I mean... do you send Jim a check, he sends blueprints, and you build it?

-Bryan Gilles
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-08-14 02:51, Timothy Drake wrote:
NOPE... Anyone can build Origami by simply sending Jim the performance rights. A friend of mine built one of the first ones years ago when the rights were $1500. I've see the prop and the cancelled check from Jim ( saved for the autograph ) . I think the rights go for around $500 these days.

Best,

Tim

Stevey, Stevey, Stevey,

Turns out you are RIGHT and I am WRONG on this one.Yes.. the check had been made out to Jim directly but it turns out my friend did not build his . It was built by one of the authorized builders. Sorry for the mistake on my part.

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Windshear Fan (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL