We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Rick Silmser has passed away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I'm sorry to bring this news but I just received a phone call from Rick's wife Em. Rick passed away on Friday evening. If you would like to pass on your condolenses, you can reach Em through the escape website http://www.asyouescape.proboards42.com Em is also one of the moderators.

We will miss you Rick, very much.

Your friend,
Dean Carnegie
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5342 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This is distressing news! Oh my, Rick was a young man. My thoughts and prayers go out to Em.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I really can't believe it. I think he was about 48 years old.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
Rick was a great guy. I miss his threads on the Café. I had just found his board and now he is gone. Peace be with you Rick.

Harry
Harold White
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I just got off the phone with Rick's beloved 'Em" who was kind enough to let me know of Rick's sudden death due to a heart attack. I came here to post the sad news and to see that even with the stress of the situation, Em has taken the time to ring around many of Rick's friends to pass on the news. Rick! you picked the best women for your life. My condolenses to you Em, Rick was a great friend and will be missed. Take care Em.

regards

Ian McColl
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
I just got the news. This hits me like a ton of bricks....When I first showed up here on the Café it was Rick that was the first to hold out his hand and say "Hey, nice to have you around.." Always had something nice to say, always made my day....then he was kind enough to invite me to send photos for his escape artist website....****, I don't know what to say, or how to say it.
Em, I'm so very sorry for your loss....

Sometimes, when one person is absent, the whole world seems depopulated.

Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
This is terrible news.. though I had only had the pleasure of knowing Rick from his forum posts he was a fine, considerate, positive man, always helpful, friendly and encouraging in everything he had to say and was an enormous asset to the art of escape who will be very sorely missed.

My thoughts and condolences also go to Em.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
What a shock to learn of Rick's passing. My prayes and sympathy go out for Em and all Rick's family and friends. May we each live our lives to their fullest while we have time.

Clyde
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Has anyone found a link to his obit?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Isn't it amazing how a person that most of us hadn't had the honor of meeting, could affect us in this way. Technology allows us to be friends with people all over the world. Because of this, we met this fellow named Rick Silmser over the internet. I remember Rick as being funny, generous, a huge fan of Dunninger and a defender of his friends. And man did he love escapes. Next to the love of his life Em, escapes were his favorite thing.

You all may not remember, but some months ago, Rick put up two websites promoting escapes. One was his own and the other had a number of well known escape artists. Please take a few moments and look over Rick's site and remember him. http://www.escapes.5u.com/index.html
I'm thankful that I got to know this fellow through his emails and posts and sad I didn't get to know him better in real life.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
How true you thoughts are Carnegie. I had only heard of Rick by name about 15 years ago. Then in the last year he became as real as you get on the internet and much better when on the phone. Not much shocks me in this world but knowing Rick and his passions, I am still coming to grips with the fact that time has be stolen and Rick and I will never meet.

This loss and well as Peter McCahon's will make the convention in October even more rewarding to go too. To be able to meet and talk face to face with everyone who will be there will allow me to keep them alive in my mind long after the convention has ended.

Ian McColl
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Does anyone have Em's email or a way she could be contacted to express our concern?

Clyde
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
For those who are taking money for their WEAR event, could we take a collection of what we made and put part of it towards helping Em out? I'm not real sure they were money wise.

Just a thought

Shawn

Posted: Jul 26, 2005 2:12pm
---------------------------------------
That should be how they were money wise the way it is posted gives sort of a negative vibe.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Everyone

I just spotted this thread, my first thoughts was that it was some kind of sick joke from another net troll. When I realised it wasn't I was shocked. I never really spoke to Rick, but the death of anyone, especially someone within our community who dies so suddenly and so young is a terrible thing.

My thoughts are with his wife, and the people who knew him better than I.

Keep escaping Rick.

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
I, too, thought that this was some sort of sick joke and am distressed to find that it is not. My grandmother also passed away Friday evening and in trying to make sense of that I am consoled by the fact that she was 87 and wanted to pass on. For Rick at 48, with so much life yet to live, there is no consolation for those left behind. I am very sorry for you Em. My thoughts are with you.

Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It really makes me stop to think, he wasn't much older than me (4 years). Life is so fragile.

I never met either Rick or Em, but I wish her the best possible time getting through this. I know how hard it is to lose a loved one, and I hope she is consoled by how many people here cared for him and respected him.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
cuffs
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Ca
94 Posts

Profile of cuffs
I never met Rick nor responded to any of his forum questions, but I read quite a few of them. I guess you can say I that I know what he was all about. It is a shame that anyone so young and full of life like he seemed to be, had to go so early. At least it seems like he had lots of friends on this and other web-sites that will remember him for a very long time.
m
Mark Lyons O--O

Collector of Handcuffs from around the World

Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.

Leslie Nielsen Lt. Frank Drebin, "Police Squad"
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I just saw this post. As others, I was unsure if this was for real or not. When something like this happens, it does show us all how fragile life is. My deepest condolences to all of the family Rick leaves behind. Now, or actually tomorrow, I'm going to call the magician in my area who is needing team members for The Heart Walk. I was debating as to whether or not to participate, now, I believe I will.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
This is TERRIBLY disheartening. Recently I’ve been very busy but today I finally had some time to sit down and go through some postings here on the café. Unfortunately this was the first one that caught my eye and I too thought it to be a rather bizarre joke and had to read several of the postings before believing it.

My thoughts go out to Em and to Rick’s family. This is truly sad news and both the EA community as well as the magic community as a whole will deeply mourn the loss.

-Matthew
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I too would not have believed the news had I not received the call from Em herself. It makes no sense and yet, this is one of the riddles of life that we all will be confronted with at some time.

It's a sad time and a reflective time. And it makes us aware how important every moment of life is and to make the most of it while we can. And to let those around us know that we care, especially while they are still with us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Rick Silmser has passed away (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL