The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Tooth and nail ? (Impossible object) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hello,

Here is a great puzzle !
It is made of 2 pieces : a nail, a piece of wood carves in a specific shape.
The idea is not to take out the nail but just think on how it has been inserted.
The wood used can be softwood and hardwood, no cut, glue, wood cement,...

Image exemple : http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/Sc......ible.jpg

Any idea? Good luck... Smile

Nicolas
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
I could see that you could recreate this quite easily with four pieces of bolt, with the nut covering two ends. But, you did say one nail (bolt), which does make it tricky ...

Of course we can't see the other side of the wood. If it's completely open you could just slide the bolt into place and from this side it looks like it's threaded through holes.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
When you get wood wet, it can bend. Fine woodwork uses this principle to make nice curves and also to fix warped panels.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hello,

Same paradox object but with nail and different view:
http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/pu......il_1.jpg

In this one, we can clearly see the nail going thru de hole!

"When you get wood wet, it can bend”: Only for softwood I guess. Can hardwood also bend after a few hours in the water? For this puzzle, hardwood can also be use, so I don't think it was bend to insert the nail/bolt, but maybe...

Nicolas
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Nicolas

Some interesting impossible objects on that site. I like the Rubik's Cube in bottle.

That doesn't help me with this bolt though.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
I've worked out a possible solution but I don't know if it's right.
Drive the nail into the tree so that the nail goes under the surface. Each year the tree grows the bark will grow over the nail, and so after 5 years cut above and below the nail, then cut out the sections of wood so that it looks like the finished puzzle. mike
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Maybe Jonathan Townsend is right after all.
I should try with some wood to see what's going on, how much it will bend, etc..

This well know site http://www.johnrausch.com is great for other puzzle and impossible object...

mike paris: I like when people to who I show this give your solution Smile

Nicolas
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
In the other hand, on the second picture tooth_and_nail_1.jpg, both side (height) are small and bottom seem very solid.
I don't see where it can bend !?

White night will continue Smile

Nicolas
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Cant be done without bending the bolt. I think its been bend with something industrial and pushed it.

:kewl:
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Maybe the bolt is pushed thru when its RED HOT.

Its soft and threads in like a rope. I think that is the only possible explanation to that.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
With add respect to mehtas, I'm lost as to how a red hot bolt would not burn the wood and also keep its threads.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Papa,do you know how its done?are you sure there is no glue? because the only other way that I can think is the solution is,if you throw the piece of wood down on the floor so that it breaks apart in two, then the screw can be inserted and reassembled,apart from that, is to find out who sells them to see if they know.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
I found 3 places that sells this kind of object.
Here is one but in a different format : http://www.toysfromtimespast.com/toys/safet2.htm

For my point of view,
1. In http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/Sc......ible.jpg
I think the wood can be bend without to much trouble. Bend the wood, drill hole in center, place the bold, bend back the side in original position.

2. http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/pu......il_1.jpg
I see on the left side a hole ! Wich is not in the other version. Does this hole go all the way thru the left layer ? (missing information...) I think in this case, the hole is done before any bending in 3 layers (layer is the right name in english ?) on left. After I think the right layer is not bend (I think this is impossible to bend this small layer) but crushed (!) so the screw can be inserted by the right...

I am just guessing here...

Nicolas
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On 2005-07-28 21:26, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
With add respect to mehtas, I'm lost as to how a red hot bolt would not burn the wood and also keep its threads.

Yes, but the threads can be remade on the visible parts after the bolt is threaded and gone cold. Not something for a beginner I'm sure. Smile All you have to do is bend the bolt a little when its red hot and thread it carefully without touching the inner holes of the block. you can even soak the block so it won't take as much heat.

It a;l comes down to what metal the bolt or nail is made of.

Sounds possible??

As for the bending the block of wood, My feelings are that you'll have to bend it to such an angle that it might tear the block. I mean this is wood, not rubber.

Then again it might be true.

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Didn't any of you guys take "shop" in High School. LOL
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
What appears to be a threaded rod is actually four separate threaded rods. One is inserted in the left section and one in the the right section. The juxtaposition of the two sections in the middle is covered by the nut, which also connects them. Superglue could be used to connect everything metal, including the nut, so it seems to be one object.

Another method is to insert the bolt into the trunk of a growing tree and allowing the tree to grow around it. Later cut down the tree and cut away the undesired wood. I don't know if that idea is possible, but it sounds like it might work.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Bill,

The maker claims Both the nail and the wood are whole. Neither has been cut.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Oh, perhaps there is a groove cut in the back of the wood that we can't see that has been filled in. Ah, better still, the wood on the outside is panels?

Oh, I guess neither being cut means no panels. So perhaps we'd see something if we saw the back?
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
They are whole. Wooden puzzle makers can keep secrets too. But it is true that wood can be soaked, steamed and shaped. That much I do know.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Thanks Vandy Grift. I figured either the wood had to be malleable or the bolt if no other guesses were correct. I agree with Jonathan, hot metal would burn the wood.

The bolt could be a material that melts at a low temperature, i.e. not a normal bolt. But I expect that it's a normal bolt.

Some bolts can be bent, but it would be difficult without ruining the threads. Perhaps a special vice grip tool could be made to grab the bolt. Then the bolt could be bent at the end, inserted and then straightned with a tool whil being bent further back, inserted some more, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Tooth and nail ? (Impossible object) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL