The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Tooth and nail ? (Impossible object) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
I also see another problem !
How the hole was drilled !?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2473 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I don't understand why people are still talking about the bolt in the first picture. The bolt is NORMAL. The secret has already been exposed in the thread. Perhaps you need to hold it in your hand to understand how to drill the hole and instert the bolt. Oh, the wood is all ONE piece too.

The second pic same basic idea/method, just slightly modified.

s
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-29 19:27, the Sponge wrote:
I don't understand why people are still talking about the bolt in the first pic. The bolt is NORMAL. the secret has already been exposed in the thread. perhaps you ...

Perhaps you would concisely explain the thing?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The Sponge wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why people are still talking about the bolt in the first picture.

I will tell you the answer to that puzzle if you tell us the answer to the original posted puzzle. Smile
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2473 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2005-07-29 16:57, Vandy Grift wrote:
They are whole. Wooden puzzle makers can keep secrets too. But it is true that wood can be soaked, steamed and shaped. That much I do know.

s
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I've been told by the maker of that puzzle

"The wood is not bent or twisted. Water is involved"

:kewl:
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Not bent or twisted !!!!!?
It's getting crazier Smile
Then I guess the only (?) possibility left is that the wood is crushed....

Mehtas, the maker of first or second puzzle ?
Thanks for your help,

Nicolas
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Nicolas,

I think it was the maker of first puzzle.

sometimes these makers give you trick statements to send you for a ride again. even though you've solved the problem. if that is the case then I don't see any point to go furthur on this puzzle.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
I am kind of lost with this thing Smile
This week-end I have put a small piece of basswood (soft wood) in boiling water for 10 min. The piece was 3(long)x1(large)x1/2(thick) inch.
After this extreme treatment on wood, it will not bend more than 1/4 inch and then break! I did this with other pieces other size but it always breaks...

I begin to think it is not possible to bend small piece of wood like these!
I also remember an old trick where you can completely bend a cigarette in half (a side touching the other!), and the cigarette will not break if you roll it in bill. Maybe the same technique can be adapted, for example rolling the wood to bend into duck tape, preventing to break...

I remain kind of clue less Smile

Nicolas
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Is it sensible to grow the tree around the bolt? Takes a while.
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
This is how I think it's done. Cut out the wood as is, then snap off one end, because it's broke (not sawn). There will be an invisible join. Drill the hole, insert bolt, and then reassemble with glue and no one is the wiser. mike
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2473 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 15:37, mike paris wrote:
This is how I think it's done. Cut out the wood as is, then snap off one end, because it's broke (not sawn). There will be an invisible join. Drill the hole, insert bolt, and then reassemble with glue and no one is the wiser. mike

No!
belief is an interesting thing. truth is there, but people refuse to believe.

Quote:
On 2005-08-01 04:20, papawemba wrote:

I begin to think it is not possible to bend small piece of wood like these!

Good! you aren't supposed to! thus the amazing puzzle, the impossible object!

After showing my grandfather the arrow thru bottle impossible object and explaining how one is made, he then made several similar puzzles. his version was a wooden heart with a hole drilled in, then a wooden arrow is thru the hole. He personally did not care for basswood, it didn't work as well for him as another type of wood he used.

s
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Any cabinet makers out there ??

Can a small bit of wood bend almost a 90 degree angle if it was steamed.

Look at the following picture again.

Why the section I've marked is bit moon shaped. why is the left side bit darker than the rest of the wood ??

Any clues ??

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/mehtas99/impob2.jpg

:kewl:
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
The Sponge, do you actually know how the "tooth and nail" was made ?
Are you sure there is no wood bending to make this object ?
The "arrow thru bottle" (or coin or..) is also an excellent impossible object !
Maybe same principle are involved like steaming or boiling wood...

Mehtas, I see you have also a lot of motivation for this puzzle Smile
I think for the picture you have showed, the right teeth CAN be bend on side, allowing the hole to be drilled and the bold to be inserted.
The wood can certainly not bend 90° or maybe it can but very hard (need expensive materiel), check this out :
http://www.compwood.dk/eng_presentation.htm

For the other tooth and nail, teeth are smaller making it much difficult to be bend (if not impossible)! The problem is that I can absolutely not think of another way...

Just a small historical info, Viking ship builder used to soak their board in a salt water for a day prior to attempting to bend them into shape...
Salt in water get bending wood easier...

Nicolas
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

You put the instructions for the bolt and the wood into your matter printer/builder and press the button. Today we have this working in wax, tabletop model takes instructions from a CAD program.

One thing about these impossible objects... they don't come with duplicate components. Almost the makings of a good trick if they did. Smile
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Check out the 16th puzzle from the bottom of this page:
http://www.johnrausch.com/DesignCompetition/2005/entries.htm

It's called "Solitary Confinement."

If removing the screws is allowed, then there's no puzzle.
If removing the screws isn't allowed, then ????????

Note that some of the puzzles have solutions posted. This
one doesn't.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
"It's called "Solitary Confinement.""

The nail may just come apart.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2473 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2005-08-02 08:58, papawemba wrote:
The Sponge, do you actually know how the "tooth and nail" was made ?

Are you sure there is no wood bending to make this object ?

Maybe same principle are involved like steaming or boiling wood...

I think for the picture you have showed, the right teeth CAN be bend on side, allowing the hole to be drilled and the bold to be inserted.
The wood can certainly not bend 90° or maybe it can but very hard

For the other tooth and nail, teeth are smaller making it much difficult to be bend (if not impossible)!

Yes, both of them.
I never said that, quite the opposite.

A puzzle is different than an impossible object. Different rules apply.

s
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Instead of bending it vertically into a horse-shoe shape, how about bending it horizontally into sort of a denture-shape? You would only have to bend half as much. I guess you would only need to bend one end, so it'd be more of a L shape, except you don't have to go anywhere near 90-degrees.

It's difficult to describe, but I can visualize it in my mind.
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Got it!

This is an illusion based on perspective, the bolt is actually diagonal in the pict., it's actually behind the post on the right, and in front of the one on the left. If you look closely at where the bolt enters and exits the two center posts, you'll notice that it's much closer on the left center post than at the right center post. The wood and posts are skewed to look square when viewed and shown from this angle.

Yes, it's hard to explain, but look at it closely, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Props go out to my wife, who took one look at it and showed me how it was made/photographed.

The builder said water was used? Gotta love it, obviously, they like illusion and making people think just like Magicians do, and will use verbal misdirection just like ourselves.

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Tooth and nail ? (Impossible object) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL