The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Was Mind Freak good for magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 20:13, Euangelion wrote:
No, because the manner of filming creates false expectations about what is possible.

Isn't magic suppose to do that? Create false expectation about what is possible!

What's the difference if it was a trick you bought off of Penguin Magic or created a TV trick? It's still a trick!

I think that Euangelion was looking for a commercial of what is available in the world of magic. And if it is available, then it should be, able to perform it like the magician presenting it. But if that was the case, then anyone could do it. Hence the term... magician... Criss Angel sure did present it nicely.

We need to see more and more on TV to bring back the good old days when we would see a lot of magic on TV.
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
Troller you have a point, however, I think that magic should be something that you can perform before a live audience rather than relying on a camera and editing to mask what is really seen. I think technology will eventually ruin many things.
MM
Butler # 254
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I think Criss is good for magic and for sideshow performers. I also think a little more respect should be shown to Mr. Osterlind. We all know his skills and experience, so listen to his direction and advice. As far as Uri Geller, he affected main stream culture in a BIG way. I just bought an autographed book of his--just because of how he affected me during the 70s. One thing I've learned in my short time here on Earth is that everything balances out in the end. People sometimes WANT to be fooled so they can learn the boundaries of reality and feel that they have found the mystery.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
In my personal opinion, MY PERSONAL OPINION, I think MindFreak is horrible.
Little magic, lots of hype. Now don't start posting comments of jealousy and envy. That's not the case. I wish him well. I just don't like the shows. Not at all. Again....IT'S JUST MY OPINION gentlemen.
bunglebear
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bunglebear
I think it's just a magicians way of performing. You may do it on the street infront of two people, you may do it infront of hundreds on a stage or you might do it infront of millions on TV. He's got the main ingredient of magic, an audience, just a bit differently to the rest of us. I think the exposure to tricks is also good, it's getting people interested in magic.

BBear
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
As I've said before, I'm of two minds. (Which means I'm wishy-washy.) I absolutely despise the MTV style of editing which makes even the simpler effects look as if they might be camera tricks. On the other hand, with the talent that Criss has for advisors, he should be able to do just about anything - and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as to his integrity.

But other viewers - especially people who would hire magicians - might not...and may easily skip the idea of hiring magicians (in favor of, say, stand-up comedians) completely.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Having just watch the latest mind freak show ( with the lighting) I have had a new take on the whole mind freak things, This thread "Was Mind Freak good for magic?"
these tv performer are evolving into a different type of performer. Not magicain, not stuntmen, not mentalist, but a yet unnamed style of performing. I have read I think all the posts on this board about this show and something struck me, I wonder what is being said about Criss & david on stuntman forums? I would guess his style of presentaion does indeed cross into these realms as well, I know its different kind of work, but never the less, I wonder how many here, or can you do that Criss angel hooks thing?
I think as this series prgresses it is having to move further away from a clear identity with magic as that doesn't make good tv,meaning that the tv audience needs better and better each time. The stunts (call them what you want) they have to become more elaberate and dangerous.
It is a problem when they show only part of an effect, so the laymen thinks he e.g just walk upto a spec and then tell her the name of guy she met on her hols. But my wife and I had a bit of chat 'again' about this show after it finished. I don't think it is really starting to have much to do with magic anymore, the main effects are stunts wiht a bit of magic thrown in, for most of the shows so far. I bet there are a lot of jealous stuntman wishing they had a show like that as well.
I don't particulary like the show, but a lot do, but most see it , from my own research as stunts etc .
I look forward to see what david blaine does for his next series (if he has one) wheather he goes the same way as Criss Angel.

Anyway no real point to my post (as usual!) just the ramblings of a guy in a mid life crisis.

Regards

Steve
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
God , I suffer from verbal diarrhea!!!!!!!!

sorry!
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Did mindfreak bring magic into the public eye? YES!
Is it a tonne more popular because of it? YES!
Is their such a thing as bad exposure? NO!! (Unless it's performed by herbert becker or valentino)

Anytime a magician or mentalist is in the eye of the public in my opinion it is a good thing for the art. Competing with mega stars and the latest multi-million dollar picture sometimes I think we're lucky to gain any mainstream interest on TV and in the news!

Lets be thankful people are still interested in what we as a COMMUNITY do. Magic is no competition -- whatever happened to brother hood????
xxx
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
I agree 200% with icy rabbit.

BTW, yesterday I received a personalized and autographed photo of Criss Angel in the mail. Talk about freaking someone out - I had no idea.

I personally hope that Criss gets his own theater in Las Vegas soon. We need all the help we can get right now with getting people more interested into magic. He's pulling in the age of people that will create a new generation of magic fans. The people that worked on putting the Mindfreak series know exactly what they are doing, and I'm impressed with their skill to put it all together. One publicity stunt every half hour is impressive and genius. I just hope he gets back to the magic when he his happy with his following of fans. Again, gotta say it - genius!

P.S. howdoidisconnect, as for Blaine, his newest special is in production.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Was Mind Freak good for magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL