The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Color Monte - Need Clear Steps » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Okay, I admit. Emerson & West's Color Monte is WAY below the skill level for those of you reading this request. However, the directions which come with the effect lack clarity (to put it mildly). Smile

I knew exactly what I was getting when I ordered the effect. (3 bicycle backed, non-gaffed cards in a plastic packet holder and a half page of "directions") While I'm not a rocket scientist, I can usually follow most directions, IF they are clearly written and are step-by-step complete.

To prove I actually paid for and received the effect, (which I'm anxious to learn because of the presentation simplicity, impact and leaving you clean at the conclusion) here is the written "METHOD" description of the all-important "Multiple Push-Off" provided in the directions: "While holding the cards squared in the left hand in dealing position, bring the left thumb to the left edge of the cards. Now, when you push off as in dealing, instead of only one card moving, two cards move." confused:

I realize disclosing effect secrets are NOT a part of The Magic Café, nor should they ever be. But as you can see from this poorly written direction, nothing is revealed by quoting this important step. (the remainder of the written directions appear "complete", however without this single move understood, the effect is non-working) Smile

Could someone please enlighten me with some clear steps so I can actually work on this effect and enjoy the performance?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide. Smile

P.S. I don't own many books yet, so directing me to the lecture notes of so-and-so, or card encyclopedia #7, isn't going to help. Smile
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey Indy Ron!

I understand your frustration, and I must admit, I feel the same way at times!

But the directions are not under-detailed, it's EXACTLY what it says! Honestly, you just make sure your thumb is up AGAINST the long edge of all the cards (as opposed to on TOP of the cards, i.e when dealing) and make sure the cards are squared evenly, if not it won't work properly. Now, with the cards squared, and your thumb in position, just push the top card/s into the other hand, you'll notice that more than one card follows...this is the multiple push off my friend.

You have to practice this move a bit before you can get it to look right and you can do it convincingly.

I know the directions make it sound like it will automatically work, but fact is that you have to acquire the knack for it.

Hope I helped and good luck!

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I remember when I first did this trick... I too had a problem with the wording... and a friend of mine cleared it up for me by stating: Don't think of it as a multiple push-off, but rather think of it as a bottom card pull. It made all the sense in the world and I could instantly do the trick.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Logan,

Thanks for your direction. I've been practicing the Helmsley count recently and thought this "multiple push" would be more involved in order to cover the move of dual cards.

I'll work on it, as they say, "till my fingers bleed, and then put bandaids on and practice some more".

Thanks
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
Athough it may be a bit excessive, you could get Daryl's 3 card monte DVD. The $35 price tag is a bit steep if you are only interested in learning color monte, but the DVD has lots of good stuff on it.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Thanks to both Greyghost and GarrettCN.

I can definitly see where thinking in terms of a "card pull" as opposed to a "multiple push" allows my fingers to "think" more clearly!

And I'll check on Daryl's 3 card monte DVD. The price would be worth it to learn to perform the effect correctly.

Thanks
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
Hey, I know exactly what youre talking about. The move in question is basically a double-deal with three cards. I never really cared too much for this move so I altered the handling a bit which eliminates the need for the double deal (in both instances). If youre interested, PM me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Color Monte - Need Clear Steps » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL