The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Gen grants giant bird finale. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1772 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I got a packet of stuff from general grant and I saw his finale with the giant bird. I wanted to see what prenciple he used to produce it what I mean is bag,harness,pocket,or another device?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magician336, noone is going to tell you how another magician does an effect. Watch the production and draw your own conclusion. Gen has put a lifetime into developing his act and it wouldn't be fair to expose his methods here.
Where the magic begins
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
The production was beautiful! It is a white owl. Unfortunately...he kind of slipped up on the stealing of that bird before he produced it when I saw him...but he went right along like it never happened. Great magician!
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5359 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My good friend Gen Grant doesn’t produce a white owl. He doesn’t produce a Cockatoo. He produces a large breed of dove (I forget the exact breed , but you could check out the Giant Runt breed).

If you have his DVD and watch it a dozen times you will see the timing and the absolute simplicity of his steal. I have watched his act literally over a hundred times over the past 25 years and I’ve seen him drop a Zombie ball once, and miss his Sympathetic silks once (a band broke on him), but never saw him miss a dove steal or vanish.

His finale is a signature piece that he has performed for over 50 years. I believe that it should be left to him.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1772 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thanks guys I think ill get his dvd as soon as possible and I beleave the bird was a giant white pigeon.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The large bird that Gen uses is not an owl. It is a Portugese Pigeon. The one he uses now is the second one he has used.
Where the magic begins
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1772 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Can anyone send me a link to see the production?i really want to see gen grants act.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Sorry...it looked like an owl from my seat...
Kyle Jarrard

David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Whooo?
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kyle, no offense was intended. The first time I saw the production, I thought it was a giant Dove. As I've mentioned before, Gen and I are friends and the only way I knew what kind of bird it was is that I asked him when we first met.
Where the magic begins
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
261 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
The bird that Gen. uses is a King Dove, or Runt as they are sometimes called. They are not the friendliest birds if placed in with regular doves. Gen. told me once that the partician in his carrier broke and the King dove plucked every feather from one of his doves. Fortunately the dove survived and grew all his feathers back. I know that they were selling them at the Abbott's Get Together in Colon when I was there some years back.

Puck
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gen told me at a recent convention that it was a Portugese pigeon. I don't know if that's another name for a Runt or not. I'll see if I can find out. The story about the feather plucking was also told to me. Best to keep them separated as much as possible.

Update:
I just spoke with the General and this was his response as to what type of bird he uses.

Quote:
Dave:
It's a very large Portuguese pigeon. The breed came from France in the 1700's and the Portugese people raise them for food. They had wing spans of up to 46" and I had one that was 42". The one I used one for about 19 years had a 3 foot wing span. The Portuguese have since through breeding and cross breeding shortened the wing span and made them fater for food.

General
Where the magic begins
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1772 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Can anyone please tell me where to see gen grants routine?
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
If your lucky...you can catch it at a convention like I did. Or you could just purchase his video set or dvd. It is well worth the money and If you are like me, it is something that you will watch over and over again.
Kyle Jarrard

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magician336, in a previous topic you said you were getting Gen DVD. Unless you see him at a convention, that's the way to see his routine. It's well worth the money.
Where the magic begins
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
"How to make a living by...stealing doves" I believe it's the name of GG's DVD. His routine is in there and ton of wonderful tips. A friend of mine lend me to view once and I bought it right after that. You should get it if you want to learn dove magic.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7419 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Gen Grant will be performing (and probably lecturing) at MAES in PA. over Labor day weekend.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Richard, sleight correction. Gen is going to be there but MAES is in Cherry Hill NJ not Pa and it is the weekend before the labor day holiday.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Gen grants giant bird finale. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL