The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which should I study first? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
In an earlier post (my first post ever), I asked for recommendations, you guys gave me some. So I just got a friend of mine that works at the public library to bring me all the books he could find on magic for me to study. Here they are in no particular order......

Money Magic Tricks by Bob Longe
World's Best Coin Tricks by Bob Longe
The Amature Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay
Mysterious Stranger (A Book Of Magic) by David Blaine
Magic Step By Step by Tom Russell
Mark Wilson's Greatest Close Up Magic Tricks by Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson's Greatest Instant Magic Tricks by Mark Wilson
Magic For Dummies by David Pogue
All The Secrets Of Magic Revealed by Herbert L. Becker
Modern Coin Magic by JB Bobo (in pdf format, I had this already)

As you know, I am interested in magic having to do with money, I am also wanting to do a few (very) simple card tricks as well. And remember, this is all just for me to do in front of family, friends, associates, and people I may meet on the street.

Now I am not asking you to teach me magic, all I am asking is, put your self in the mind set of a 'teacher of magic'. If you were going to teach someone magic, and the only reference tools available were the ones I listed above, and the student was interested in certain forms of magic, in which order would you instruct your student(s) to start with the material listed above. Please put them in order of most importance?

Oh, please don't suggest any others (at least not yet), justt use the ones I have listed and have actualy got from the library, ok.

Thank You.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I would probably direct the beginner to the Mark Wilson books. While I'm not familiar with those two particular titles, I suspect they are exerpts for his now out of print "Complete Course in Magic.," that I used as a textbook for a beginners class for several years.

It has great, classic material and is laid out nicely with a step by step approach. You can still find it on ebay for aroung $10 - a bargain.

After that I would have you look at the Bobo book, another classic, since you are interested in money magic. You should study Bobo.

I also like the Amateur Magician's Handbook by Hay, only because it was one of my first books.

Forget the Becker book, blatant exploitation, and the Blaine book - interesting, but not for learning magic to perform. I'm not familiar with the other titles, but if you really want to learn, read them all...and then some.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
You are on the right track with your coins with bobos book, I would if I were you purchase the hardbound version though. It contains more information than the ebook or softbound book. If you want to get some stuff with cards you need to buy Royal Road to Card magic. I notice you said that those were from your local library. Do you not want to buy magic books? It is important to start building your own library of magic books.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The Henry Hay book, Bobo's of course and Magic for Dummies. Also shame on your library for having no books on magic history.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Corey Harris, I would love to buys some books on magic. But unfortunately my financial situation prohibits me from doing so. So I did the next best thing, borrowing them from the library.

Frank Tougas, A friend of mine who works at the library got them for me (I am physically unable to do it myself). He said that is all they had checked in. So Iassume their maybe more, but they just were not checked in at the time.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I think Jim Snack's suggestion is a great one. The Mark Wilson books and if you do not have it I would suggest The Mark Wilson Course In Magic Book. With this one book you will have enough magic material to go out and do shows with.

You could start with family shows and birthday parties. Make money and invest it back into your library and your show.

One trick at a time and have fun with it.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
On that list I would say the Bobo's, magic for dummies and the Amature Magician's Handbook. I don't know about any of you but the handbook is kind of like my magic bible. If I ever need inspiration I look through it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I see you and I agree 100% Jaxon. You are right about Hays book, it is a thing of beauty and should be in everyones personal library. Highly underrated and almost never mentioned.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
For simple card tricks you cant go far wrong with the Karl Fulves self working series
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I really like the Hays book also. My hometown library had a copy and I later purchased one for my own library. It's a classic (although I always wondered whether the photo in it showing someone (T. Nelson Downs?) classic palming 30+ coins was legit, or just shot for the book.) Still it is packed with great content.
Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Smile Henry Hay's book was the first "real" book of magic that I really got into. I learned the pass from that book and it's illustrations. I first found it at the library also and I practically "owned" it as I was constantly checking it out! I finally bought a second hand one at the local used book store and still have it. I never tire of looking thru it to this day, and I agree with Jaxon!

<<<<KRazY4karz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Frank. Most public libraries respond positively to suggestions for books to purchase--especially from experts such as yourself. Our local chess club approached the public library about improving its collection of chess books and the library purchased quite a few of the "expert suggestions". They were quite pleased to have guidance. Perhaps it would be a good idea for magicians to recommend good books on the history of magic to their local public libraries.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
Mark Wilson's book is an excellent starting point. It touches upon several types of magic. It also teaches the basics for card and coins. Work with that, and see what catches or keeps your interest.

From there, pursue what turns you on. If you like cards more than coins, work with books that address that. Another way of putting it is...work on what you are passionate about. You can still keep your fingers in the other types of magic, but follow your passion.

I know that was a bit off topic, but that was a major factor for me.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Try "Magic For Dummies" by David Pogue. It is a good start considering the books you have mentioned.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Muggers
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Muggers
Hey Gang!
I'd like to that y'all for being open and helpfull with your suggestions. I am rediscovering an interest in magic. As a kid, I had some card trick books, but with the short attention span of youth and the "instant gratification" mentality, I never really went far. Now, I'm interested in busking, partially due to Blaine and Angel's shows. I'd like some easy, low setup tricks to perform say, sitting at the bar with friends. I'm thinking coin and money trick, as I don't want to carry around four decks of cards. I'll look into the books listed here and would appreciate any pointers/insights on where to go in addition.
Again, thank you.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You say that you're interested in money magic.
Check out the resources you mentioned and find money tricks.

Also look at other impromptu tricks that can be done anywhere and any time.
Especially with borrowed things.
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Thanks for the help everyone.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Just an aside to Jim Snack (everybody else, cover your eyes):

Jim, Wilson's *Complete Course in Magic* is back in print, expanded with added routines and a quickie lesson in the basics of the business. Sadly, Walter Gibson's biography has been truncated.

(everybody else, you can uncover your eyes now)

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which should I study first? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL