The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Love Bug (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
If a love of magic is something that can be caught, I remember the exact moment that I was afflicted.

It was at an old theater where my Dad performed. They sold tickets to a matinee and two shows a night on weekends. It was a touristy thing, the best performances tho were after the shows when every one just hung out. The amazing energy in a room full of magicians performing for the sheer love of magic is hard to explain. I was the perfect spectator of course, because I loved everything they did lol. Show me again show me again, I would beg...I must have driven them nuts, but if so, they were pretty nice about it. It looked like real magic to me and some of it I would swear was lol. I really loved those guys.

Saw my first rings done on stage there. Really saw my first stage magic, mostly I had been around a lot of close up before then. So that's my story.

Just curious what everyone else's story is. How did you become addicted to this art?

Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Beth,

My dad hired an 80 year old guy to do some cement work around our house. The guy heard I was interested in magic (I owned a Svengali Deck and read two books from the library). He asked me to show him a trick, which I did, and then he took my deck and proceeded to to numerous color changes, all backs, blank face, and split fans. I had never seen anybody do things like that with a deck of cards before and I knew right then the bug had bit.

The next day he handed me his first edition of "Greater Magic" and told me to keep it and study it well. Turned out he caught the bug as a teenager, assisting Harry Houdini.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Aside from a few stories my father told me, my first awareness was being taken by him to see Harry Blackstone Sr. I must have been 10 or so..(Seats cost $.50!) Now,at 70, I still love it.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
The bug bit when ! saw Doug Henning live I was 12 but I didn`t know that one could buy magic at a shop till a couple of years later the odd thing is I was doing the fench drop at age six and an ace assembly effect from an old book that I still have to this day. But it was seeing Doug that blew my mind.
I have my brother to thank for that....
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I wish I had a story as good as yours or Steve's but it is pretty mundane and actually a common story for my age group. I was hooked on magic when I saw the Magic Land of Alakazam on Saturday mornings.

Next a show named Magic Ranch further sparked my interest. Finally once I discovered secrets at the Minneapolis Library, (Greater Magic and the Tarbell Course - sheesh! them were the days!) I was hooked.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2477 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My story on this is boring and common.

At age seven an uncle taught me the professor's nightmare. The rest was history.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
My story is mundane too.

I was perhaps 5 years old. I marked a dime with a pen. My Dad put it in his other hand and it was gone! Then he reached into his pocket and took out a large matchbox wrapped with rubber bands. Inside was another matchbox that was also wrapped with rubber bands. Inside that was a bag closed with a small rubber band. Inside that was the dime with the mark I'd put on it!

I was amazed.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I found a magic book in my parent's room. (No, I wasn't supposed to be there). I've been hooked ever since.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I was a kid, I went to see the Harry Blackstone, Sr. show. Sr. did the birdcage a little bit different from Jr. He had the kids "holding the cage" form a line all the way to each side of the stage, so there would be about 40 kids on stage with him. I was the last kid on stage left.

I never forgot that.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
It wasn't a show that intrigued me. I've always been "interested" in magic, one day, I just started reading about it on the internet. Couldn't be happier!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
It was when I was seven and my grandma had bought the Usborne book of magic and jockes. She had another book on experiment. The magic book was supposed to go to my cousin. She put the wrong name tags on...and the rest is mystory.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I must have been a deprived child as I never viewed any magicians until I was much older than most. Sounds like something out of a fable but I was exposed to a lot of gypsies as a very young child. (I was born in a large city in France but spent my early childhood in a small village before my parents moved to North America.) No TV either! Gasp see I was deprived! Gypsies would often camp on the outskirts of town and they must have made an impression on me at that age. I was fascinated with them although frightened at the same time. The woman often set up fortune telling booths and it seemed as if it was ingrained in all the villagers that these people had a sixth sense. I was only six so what the heck did I know! I'm surprised that it didn't have the reverse effect on me. :O)

My first exposure to a stage performer was Raveen, the hypnotist. Around the same time my elementary school music teacher seemed to have taken a fondness to me and she would often take me to the Operas at age 10! She was a very dignified older lady and talked me into joining the young Opera society or something. I love going with her as those that belonged would be hosted to a huge buffet before the performance. I thought it was awesome I could get dressed up and eat all this wonderful food and get to mingle with the performers backstage. LOL! I didn't care for the music but was fascinated with the stage and anything to do with performing, so her and I went to see many Operas together. I find this very funny looking back at it now. I must have developed my sense of humor from "A Night At The Opera". Any form of the theater was what caught my eye..and all forms of entertainment.

During this period, I also spent a lot of time with a very ancient ole lady by the name of Mrs H who would look after my sister and I while my mom worked. We'd spent so much time as her house that eventually the rest of the family members treated us as part of their own family. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I realized Mrs H was Jimmi Hendrix's grandma. She passed away a few years ago at age 102. Her daughter and other grandchildren were all gifted musicians and entertainment was very much the focus of that household.

I actually got into magic in a quirky kind of way. I was performing shows for a few years (but no magic) and just happened to walk into a magic store one day. The owner who was the president of SAM had just started a huge costume business and asked if I'd be interested in working in his store a few times per week. I said okay and eventually became exposed to magic which I included in my act. So while I can't say it there was a definite moment I fell in love with magic, I feel all the previous experiences that I was exposed to made me fall in love with entertaining.

Chrystal
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
Wow great stories everyone...I have to admit I love hearing magicians tell how they came to be in this art...Julie Sorbanski said when speaking about the book she is writing..." every magician has a story" and I think that is so true. It amazes me how diverse we are and yet we all have this commonality ...this love of magic. I love your story Chrystal ...it reminds me of a fairy tale ...I don't think you were deprived as a child at all. I am way jealous. I wish I had met gypsies... I think I am gonna go complain to my Dad right now...Daaaad Chrystal's parents let her talk to gypsies Smile Ha he won't even let me talk to the carnies at the fair Smile
Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2867 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I first became "exposed" to magic as a young kid, when my older brother was paying his dues and starting on the road to a pro career. But the funny thing was that I never really got into magic at that point. I didn't even have any interest in watching any of his appearances on TV.

A few years later, after I had forgotten all about it and he was in the Army, I went to a friend's house after school. I was probably in the fifth grade at the time. My friend had borrowed a magic book from the library and was trying to figure out a few tricks with matchsticks and water. I sort of helped hi with it, and then I seem to remember I borrowed his book.

That did it.

Next thing I know, I'm building props out of cardboard, reading every book in the library, and performing every chance I got. My brother eventually got out of magic and into other things, and I've been with it since. Go figure.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Love Bug (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL