The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Drag Queen Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pseudotheo
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
18 Posts

Profile of pseudotheo
Ok, I guess this is the best place to post this...

Has anyone ever heard of any Drag Queen Magicians?

I think it is a clever novelty.... unfortunately I look horrid in a wig.
Codex Reader
View Profile
New user
TX
69 Posts

Profile of Codex Reader
In the tradition of Izzy Izzard, go buy that wig, sir. And wear it like a man. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
There is at least one -- whose name, unfortunately, now escapes me.
But, yes, the concept is good and the idea is very clever.
And maybe you're just trying on the wrong style of wig!
Smile
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
We have a member of our IBM local that walks out on stage and anounces
"Hi, I will be your bi-sexual magician for this evening"
he pauses then says "Well thats not quite true, I'm not really a magician"

He always gets laughs with it and he is a superb magician BTW

Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bi-sexual?
Does that mean that, if he wants it, he has to buy it?
Smile
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
If you do that you will be limiting yourself to certain markets. Obviously, you won't do kid shows. However if you live in SF, you will probably be a hit.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
paul_m
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of paul_m
Hi!

If I'm not mistaken (and may Fay forgive me if I am..!), I think the drag queen in question is Fay Presto, a UK magician(ne).

I remember seeing a documentary about her on UK television a few years ago - she was working in a pub/restaurant type setting, and was pretty good. Had the audience in stitches with her "saucy" humour Smile

Paul
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
You know, I was wondering that too... she certainly has quite a deep voice.

Hmmm... I can hear the Crying Game being played at a convention near you soon. Smile

Cheers

ML
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Actually, it is an American I am thinking of, and still can't recall the name!
Smile
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
There's definitely one in Texas that does illusions, or did about 15 years ago. I forget her name, but saw her show at a bar there. Went over REAL well with the crowd.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
It is not quite the same thing, but I have seen in Bangkok's red light district naked women performing magic in one of the go-go bars.
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Wow! Talk about misdirection!
Smile
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Have you seen the RAZOR BLADE ILLUSION by DAVE POWELL. The one where you seemingly swallow a thread, next you swallow razor blades one by one. When you regurgitate the blades they are all connected to the thread.
Well that is the effect she was performing. Only the blades were not going into her mouth. I will let you guess where.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Jonny Des Moines
View Profile
New user
Des Moines
76 Posts

Profile of Jonny Des Moines
I think that this idea is a great one. I personally have a very dear friend who is a drag queen magician and he is hilarious!
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
I am a drag queens magician!
Just stumbled upon this post ... you'd think I would have found it before now.
I'm based out of Manhatan but travel all oer the USA, Europe and Australia with my show Abra-Cashetta.
Working on a new production to open Off-Broadway Spring 2004 ... so if you're in town or coming to town let me know.
There are a few more that I have found. One is a friend and mentor whose name is Steve Daly "Tiny Bubbles" and he is currently featured in Showgirls of Magic at the San Remo in Las Vegas.

Thanks!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think Fay Presto had a sex change so she's not a drag queen per se.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I know of a magician whose assistant was a drag queen for some time whilst he lived in Hong Kong. He did very well on the caberet scene.

I am sure Cashetta can give all the details but I would imagine it would be an excellent pairing of caberet genres. In many ways drag and magic both belong in the catergory of cheesy stage entertainment!

Effects I would imagine that would play would include:

1) The sponge dingdong
2) 20th century bra
3) Fan manipulations
4) Guillontine with plenty of operation jokes.
ludmer
View Profile
New user
Brazil
59 Posts

Profile of ludmer
I do a little bit of 'Drag'in my show.. but it´s not a Drag Queen, but a drag KING. It´s kinda funny, because it can be played without the prejudice that comes along with the Drag Queen... if you do D. Queen, you´ll surely have your image associated to gay business (i´m sure that people like us who are not gay, wouldn´t like to be reconized like "The 'Priscila' magician", or "Mr. Faggot") . I do have a Drag Queen character for magic.. but I do not perform it on the road. Steve Daly is the best comedy magician i´ve ever seen live!! He´s just G - R - E - A - T ! I Lived in Iowa, and met him there... a really funnu guy in person, so funny as on stage. "Tiny bubbles" it´s just wonderful! Well.. so there it is... I think that if you know how to deal with your image, and people will not mix things up, then just go on. Smile
I trust jewish magicians and bagels
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
I have been fortunate to not encounter negative responses with my act and play many straight venues. I guess that's because neither my show nor my character Cashetta have an agenda at all. I'm an entertainer and comedian and magic is what I'm using to entertain. I also have both male and female dancers so everyone gets eye candy.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
A drag Queen Magician that has been around for a long time is Taylor Martin out of Indianapolis. He performs in drag as Andrea Merlin. Andrea performs at a world famous drag restaurant in Indianapolis called Ruthellens.
Taylor also performs period magic (no jokes please), as Rodney. he does Renassaince festivals around the country.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Drag Queen Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL