We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Mans Handcuffs help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pseudotheo
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
18 Posts

Profile of pseudotheo
Help!

I recently bought the manuscript for this trick and I am trying to get it right but I keep doing something that does not look right. (I am trying not to give away any secrets, that is why this is so cryptic). Can anyone PM me to help?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10595 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dan Harlan has several videos out on rubber band magic, one is Band Shark, I can't remember the other ones but he teaches crazy mans handcuffs.

vinny

ps he has many more routines with the rubber bands, highly recommended
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There is some Slydini thing I bought on this subject that was very helpful in terms of timing and misdirection. I do not believe he was the author but they were performance notes by one of Slydidni's students.

"Timing and Misdirection", you say?

If you wonder what Timing and Misdirection has to do with Crazyman's Handcuffs you need to learn more about Timing and Misdirection.

It is a wonderful set of notes and I have applied the essence of those notes to all I do in EVERY effect I do. And I keep working at it. They really make you see just how much work you can put into any routine to get it just right.

Those notes are fantastic.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to get the exact name of them.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I believe the notes Frank is talking about is "The Linking Rubberband Mystery" or something like that, by a guy named Bluestone.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
You could also learn this where there is also a "Super practice sessions" in Michael Ammar's video "Classic renditions" vol 2.
Guido
Indyfan
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
173 Posts

Profile of Indyfan
I have Harlan's video that teaches Crazy Man Handcuffs (he has a slightly different name however), but he repeats the 'move' that shows the 2 bands linked together a few times, then does the sleight.

However, after reading "The Magic of Michael Ammar", he recommends only doing it once, where you show them linked, AND you do the move. He says it should take 2 seconds. One second to 'stretch' them (showing them linked), and another second to do the move. No need to do it fast, as that creates suspicion. Because the move is so subtle, combined with the fact that you ARE showing them linked, the spectator would NEVER assume you just did a move, because realistically, it looks like it would be impossible. Hopefully that helps out! It's a phenomenal trick.
Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
yes paul,

that's the one!

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jerryoconnell
View Profile
New user
Jerry O'Connell
15 Posts

Profile of Jerryoconnell
Hello,

Kazaa lite is a free program that allows you to share other peoples files, try it as it's free, you may be surprised what you can download.
It's also worth using
http://www.Google.com
one of the best search engines.

Hope this helps.
Jerry O'Connell
http://www.leatherjerry.com Smile
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
When I do the final stretch, I curl my fingers of my right hand in toward my palm with my thumb pointed up, which puts me in kind of a "get ready" position; the move is almost complete at that point. (I'm trying not to go in to too much detail in this open forum.) I find there's no danger of last-minute fumbling this way, and people are focused on the center of the bands anyway. Also, my right hand is moving back and forth stretching the bands, which makes it even harder to see that I've done something.
~ Chris Calabrese ~
magicguy88
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
73 Posts

Profile of magicguy88
Any suggestions on patter for this effect? Also...are there any type of climax moves, effects, jokes that are good to close this trick out after the melt through?

Ryan
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I use patter like this....
"I was arrested by the crazy police once. They don't use normal handcuffs because they are too easy to get out of... noooo the crazy police use crazy mans handcuffs." (putting the bands in place then making stretching moves like I'm trying to seperated my hands from each other) "They know if I let go and shoot one of these bands across the room, I'll go crazy trying to find it." etc.etc. you know the rest of the trick.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10595 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
In my opinion the best rubberband penetration is Chris Kenners missing link. Found in his book "Totally Out Of control." two rubberbands are linked then unlinked, no gimmicks, a beautiful effect and very visual, I think it is more powerful than crazymans handcuffs.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

sharonyyy
View Profile
New user
israel
57 Posts

Profile of sharonyyy
I have a problem, I do this trick very well, I mean to unlink the rubberbands, but I didn't get the idea of linking them together.
I have the secrets of Michel Ammar, he dosen't explain that.
erik
View Profile
New user
Bucks County, PA
87 Posts

Profile of erik
I saw Ammar do CMH during his close-up at MAEs show last month, and he followed the 'melting through' portion with a bit where he breaks the rubber-band with his teeth, then restores it instantly. He claims during this portion that 'there is a tiny Velcro end that is invisible' the effect is quite impressive. Can anyone tell me if this part is shown in 'classic renditions #2'?

-erik
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 17:11, sharonyyy wrote:
I have a problem, I do this trick very well, I mean to unlink the rubberbands, but I didn't get the idea of linking them together.
I have the secrets of Michel Ammar, he dosen't explain that.

Michael didn't think it was necessary to re-link them. It essentially destroyed the illusion of the impossible unlinking by showing how easy it would be to put them back together. After that, they just think of it as another "juggling" trick, not magic.

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
As for patter, I use this.

"This is more of a science experiment, than a magic trick. Everyone knows that the consistency of an object can be changed by the right means. For example, by controlling temperature, water can be changed from a solid to a liquid, or even a gas.
Well these rubber bands were not always solid. Originally, they were liquid. The liquid came from a rubber tree. The rubber was scientifically manipulated to make these solid bands. I prefer to do this, magically. Watch, etc...
family/magic/music/life
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10595 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
as an idea ,,, do the crazy mans handcuffs routine then relink theh bands showing one band dangling from the other ,pull the bands apart and give them away as a souviner ..
thats what I do....
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Vin are you talking about CMH or a penetrating bands effect? It seems that you are talking about a linking rubberband effect.CMH or Penetrating bands do not "link"
He who laughs, lasts.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10595 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ed /what i ment was as a routine . I do the CMH. The bands melt through one another . then I show the bands are linked one band hangs from the other band . finally I unlink the bands and hand them out as a souviners

vinny
Come check out my magic.

Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I first saw the Crazy Man’s Handcuffs performed by Andrew Pinard at one of the restaurants where he works. I was so blown away, I bought the book “The Magic Of Michael Ammar”, just to learn this trick. It is probably one of the greatest close-up tricks of all time because it looks totally impossible and it can be done when surrounded.

One approach I sometimes use is to first break a rubber band, and then put it back together. Then I do the crazy man’s handcuffs and say that the bands passed through each other because the repaired rubber band now has a magic hole in it. Then I give both rubber bands away. People examine the bands very closely!

I studied and practiced Michael Ammar’s approach for months before performing it. It seems like a good method. After reading the posts here, I wonder if it is worth the money to get the Dan Harlan videos too. I know the videos are good, but would my money be spent better elsewhere if I already have Michael Ammar’s book?

Incidentally, I learned from the book that Arthur Setterington invented this trick, and Herb Zarrow improved the handling. Mr. Ammar also lists several other magicians who were involved with this trick. I like that he provides so many references to creators and practitioners of the magic effects in his book.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Mans Handcuffs help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL