The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How long of a routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
I am pretty new at magic, but it doesn't mean I don't try hard, and pick my tricks carefully. I got an invitation to do magic at one of the Planet Hollywoods.... How long are your routines? 5 mins? 10 mins?

So far my tricks for sure are:

Scotch and soda

Raven

Card warp

color changing sponge balls to jumbo sqaure

Pen through dollar bill

would that be enough or should I add more?

Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Have you read any books on performing restaurant magic?

Have you discussed fees with the restaurant?

You don't quite sound ready. You certainly have enough magic for one table...

maybe more than enough.

I assume it is just a one off booking?

Good luck.

Paul
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Magic Guy!

I think that just being invited to do magic is itself an accomplishment!

Congratulations!

It sure sounds like you picked out some great tricks, and this will be a great learning experience for you. As far as how long should you perform each routine? I think using your judgement knowing that your performance is reliant on a few outside factors such as the arrival of the food and friends interacting etc. Seems that short is best to at least gauge your response, and then tailor what you've learned at your next performance.

A great reference to your interest is, "The Restaurant Worker's Handbook-A Practical Guide To Restaurant Magic by Jim Pace and Jerry MacGregor. It has great openings, strong middle routines; closers and really delves into cards, sponge balls and the appearance/disappearance of restaurant table items. Sounds like just what you may be interested in.

I hope this helps, and again congratulations and have fun!

Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes, the book Steve mentions is worth getting if you are thinking of doing restaurant work, in fact in that book Jim Pace recommends one of mine. The Poker Mental routine in there is not really a good restaurant trick, and I didn't think sufficently different from John Mendoza's to warrant inclusion, but the important thing about that book, for yourself, is not really the tricks, it is the other information.

Work looking at another restaurant book though, to balance views out, but no more than two books on the subject because you get a lot of duplication. Then maybe books like Ortiz's Strong Magic. You may as well start off the right way!

Paul.
magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
thanks guys for the replies and information.... Yes it was just a one time booking for a free show. For me I will be able to show promo clips that I have done magic at Planet Hollywood, that I can show to other resturants. Planet Hollywood does have a strong pulling name.... This is THE BEST forum I belong too!!!

Smile
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Excellent Magic Guy! Those promo clips are like gold, and can be a great selling tool! It's very nice chatting with you!

Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
dorbolo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of dorbolo
I recommend "The Magic Menu" reprint books. Vol. 1 is years 1-5 and Vol. 2 is years 6-10. Just about every question that a student of walk-around, bar, and restaurant magic can think of is addressed by pros who know in these books. Lots of great bits and effects as well.

Best of luck with your gig.

In good spirit,

Jon
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Magicguy, first of all, congratulations on "getting your foot in the door" at a Planet Hollywood.

Second, the material you have should be fine but I'm a little concerned about your reset problems: S and S, Raven, and ball to cube.

Routines should run about three to five minutes per table; ten minutes at a table can seem like an eternity, for you and for the customers.

There is only one way, basically, to learn restaurant work and that is "in the trenches".

You've got to do it yourself; no book, no video, nobody can tell you all the things you'll find out by doing it yourself -- when to hit a table, how to hit a table, when to leave, how to leave, routining the act, making it modular so you can end it at any time, and on and on.

But don't, whatever you do, let all that discourage you!

Good luck! Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
122 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
Good Luck magicguy!

I don't really have any wisdom to give, but I would love to read a full report when you're done. I'm sure you will learn alot.

Nothing can replace experience, but determination and hard work can go a long way. The only way to get experience is to go for it and it sounds like you have. Good for you!

Be sure and let us know how it goes.

--Kris
magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
You guys are the best, I belong to other forums, some that you had to buy a product, and as an added bonus you got free access to the forums. And there are alot of people just wanting to put you down or saying your just a rookie and etc. I will not lie and say I am not a rookie, and truthfully I want to be my own corporate magician soon. I am 22 years old and have started a promotional marketing company, I thought it would give me a competitive advantage if I could present my products "Magically" Stand out more then my competitors. Also the money I would make at birthday parties and resturants will be a source of funding for my business.

P.S. Do you guys know of good tricks that are instant resets? I was thinking Star Gazer.... I know there is a switch involved, how hard would that be for a newbie?

Magicguy Smile
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
122 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
If you are talking about the same star gazer I am (rubberband effect) there isn't a switch involved so there should be no problem.

--Kris
magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
Magic Kris

Yes it is a rubber band effect cost around $15 right? is this a self working trick?

Did I mention this board rules!!!!! Smile
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
122 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
Yes, pretty much self working. Works well in combination with Crazy Hans handcuffs.

This isn't really on topic for this thread. PM (personal message) or email me if you want to discuss it further. Another alternative would be to search for it in the good, bad, and garbage section and start a thread if you don't find one.

--Kris
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Magicguy, if you want something for table hopping that instantly resets, try my no-gimmick Scotch and Soda.

It uses no gimmicks, no reset needed, only one basic sleight, and -- best of all -- costs nothing!

If you (or anyone else) is interested in it, e-mail me privately and I'll e-mail the routine back to you.

(It originally appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring)

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
Yep, try it, it's great!!!
Back at the magic...
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hi ya.

Re: How long you should do.
It all depends on the circumstances.

I have been in situations where I have had 60 tables to get around in 90 minutes. Each table got 1 trick. Or other situations where it’s a quiet night and a really appreciative table, and I’ve been there 30 minutes chatting and performing.

Tricks, the ones you listed are all good tricks, but as Peter said, look at reset times etc. I put my Sponge ball routine together off of Pat Page’s video. Everything starts in the Right hand jacket pocket, everything finishes there, and it’s modular. It can be anything from 3 to 8 effects, always starting the same, and with the same big finish.

Rubber bands are great. Doesn’t need a table, doesn’t look suspicious, and lots of things you can do. My second routine at a table usually starts with borrowed ring through rubber band. Then crazy man’s handcuffs. May go into ring sliding UP rubber band, and Band around wrist from Greg Wilson’s, "Off The Cuff" video. Up to 5 minutes of good stuff, with no reset and everything examinable.

I think one of the best restaurant effects, and usually my opener is, "Invisible Deck." I think that from an audiences point of view, It starts off being funny, and finishes being mind blowingly baffling, and hopefully leaving them thinking, "That was great! Show us more."

For now, for your gig. Practice resets, practice approaching a table. Really, set a camcorder up if you have one, and see how you look and sound approaching. Practice the whole routine, and think of what you will do if for instance, the waitress brings food halfway through a trick, and get the links between tricks really smooth.

Most of all, Enjoy it. If you approach the gig in a positive confident, happy frame of mind, the audience will enjoy it.

Good Luck

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
You guys have some really good advice and good routine, I will use some rubber band effects now as I think about it more.

Thanks all! Cheers Smile
korneille
View Profile
New user
québec/canada
44 Posts

Profile of korneille
As powerful as the gimmick version try it!!! Smile
"if we don’t take action now we settle for

nothing later we’ll settle for nothing now

and we’ll settle for nothing later!"

rage against the machine
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
I’ve been performing restaurant magic for about 5-years and I’ve settled on a formula that I think works great in the majority of situations.

First, I agree that you have to be flexible... we are NOT the reason that people visit a restaurant - it’s the FOOD. Therefore, we have to always respect this by politely excusing yourself when it arrives to the table.

Secondly, most restuarants have a bar area which is a wonderful place to try new material. Keep in mind that you will ALWAYS be working out of your hands around a bar. I found that one or two effects works great in this situation. I primarily use the bar area as a place to work when tables aren’t ready yet or the waiter or waitress is still serving food.

I also feel that it sends a message to the owner that you are working your hardest to entertain. I would not be happy if I were the owner to see my entertainment standing around.

I’ve also found that most people sitting around a bar are somewhat bored and welcome a pleasant distraction.

Here’s the formula that I found to be very useful for table-hopping:

1) A short visual opener 10-60 seconds that can be done without participation or very minimal.

2) A Lead-in trick that invites audience participation. No card counting!

3) A strong set-up trick (for the closer) that can stand-alone, and almost function as a closer.

4) The closer, which should be the strongest effect in the set.

The idea is to
(1) create interest,
(2) bring them ’in’ to your act,
(3)dazzle them by building off the second effect, and
(4) finish them off with a powerful conclusion.

I call this routining a 3-4 formation. The reason I work in this manner is that in a good percentage of cases you will find that you will not be able to perform ’the closer’. The hourglass simply runs out.

Yet the feeling is that you want to ensure that you perfomed strong magic, but not leave the impression, that you left in the middle of your act. You don’t want your audience to feel guilty for wanting to enjoy their meal.

Typically, I’ll work through the first couple of effects at a sound pace (without rushing) and close on 3 or 4.
DON’T EVER LET YOUR AUDIENCE KNOW THAT YOU’RE NOT FINISHED!
Timing is everything, experience aids in determining what is the right timeframe?

If you’re not busy, take a stopwatch and clock the time it takes for the food to arrive at a table. Of course allow for appetizers. With larger tables you WILL have more time. Expect to perform a full-set.

I think that it was Michael Close who recommended working in somewhat modular sets this is great advice. Timing is a skill that comes more easily after repeated performances. I think it took me three years to finally ’get it’.

Lastly, I think that the length of a set varies from person to person and the type of restaurant. You want to strive for entertaining everyone who showed enough interest to watch your performance so be flexible.

- Jared
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How long of a routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL