The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Seeing your partner as real (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-12-14 09:16, ljlvent wrote:
This is an interesting topic - I understand that Candice Bergen thought that Charlie really was her brother for many years! Our goal is to make our figures as believable as we can and part of that is like you have already stated Servante! Then the audience will be drawn into our illusion and that is what it is all about. Like the other day my little Lily and I were asked to come up and lead the children in singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". So we went up to the front - I had already taken my headset off - but not to worry! The MC just held the mic in front of LILY's mouth!!! I tried to move over but she just kept putting the mic more in front of LILY!! Of course 30 minutes later I thought of what Lily should have said! I am sure many of you have had that experience too!

You're in good company. I remember the story of how that happened to Paul Winchell the first time he tried to put Jerry on TV. The boom mike above their heads was not picking up Jerry's voice, only Paul's. Only silence when Jerry was supposed to be giving his lines. As it turned out the boom operator was actually moving the mike back and forth between Jerry and Paul thinking the voice was actually coming from the figure. Paul told him to keep the mike on him, and the problem magically vanished.

Yup, even the greatest of us all, old Paul can't actually "throw" his voice.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Like Neale, I view my puppets as members of the cast of my show. They get lines, rehearsals, and even tricks to perform (sometimes better than me !). I never view them as mere figures or inanimate props. They are valued cast members who have a role to play. I take special efforts to make sure audience members do not get to see load out, so they don't see figures getting stuffed into cases. Each figure is brought onstage as another actor in the play, then taken backstage, so they have an entrance and an exit. Quite often, part of the comedy revoloves around just those two actions.

Nice topic. Missed you guys. Nice to be back for awhile.....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Hey Mark, nice to have you back.

In my vent act as it is developing now, I'm only using one character; my figure Henry. While I see him as basically a stage prop in one sense, he also serves as a vehicle for a character of course. It's a character I have created and must get to know well to create good comedy. I have to believe in him at some level to be able to project a believable, fully realized character to the audience. Ventriloquists are a little sensitive about this thing I think, because of portrayals that depict ventriloquists who 'cross the line' and can no longer separate the fiction they've created from reality. The truth is, many people grow attached to the tools they use, as they do tend to become extensions of ourselves. Bikers often have affection for their motorcycles, fishermen for certain rods, hunters for a particular rifle. But if it's a ventriloquist who makes their living with a puppet, somehow it's seen as crazy to have affection for that tool. But these puppets do become a part of our self-expression and important to us in ways that are greater than the inanimate props we all know them to be. Have you ever had a car for which you felt affection, or a house? I don't see this as being that different. Yes, I LIKE the character I've developed and the puppet through which I 'channel' him.

Back to the original question though... it took a while, maybe a year or two, before I developed Henry enough that he seemed like a real personality to me and I began to experience the 'spontaneous' responses Oliver mentioned. It's a process, it takes time to create and perform a believable character, especially if you are performing two (or more) at a time. To me, this is the real magic of ventriloquism.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2010-12-16 01:13, Mr. Pitts wrote:
I have to believe in him at some level to be able to project a believable, fully realized character to the audience.

Great post Mr. Pitts. I think that one line sums it up very nicely, and concisely.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Yep. It's not unlike the toys I had as a child. As soon as I had some success, I went to ebay and rebought them.
They resonate for me.
It's not the thing itself...it's that resonance.

My main vent figure since the 1960's has been Louie. He resonates for me. We've been through a lot together. Recently I replaced him with a nearly identical, if larger, Hartz figure. I felt bad about it.
But the larger figure seems to have inherited the resonance.

-Philip
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I thought of another comparison, maybe even more apt.. musicians and their instruments. I've known many guitar players who have named their favorite guitars.

By the way Phillip, if I were to get an 'upgrade' for Henry, it would definitely be a Hartz. He's just a great figure maker.
David Pitts
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
He is, isn't he? Louie's mouth mechanism is whisper-quiet, and his face is just like my good old faithful Louie...only moreso. Smile
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I sure would like to see a picture comparing the two. I love Conrad's work.
David Pitts
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I'll try to do that, Mr. Pitts. Honest. Gotta lot of Christmasy things goin' on right now. Lemme get through some holiday stuff.
:)
-Philip
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Whenever you get to it is fine. I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics.
David Pitts
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2010-12-16 19:22, Mr. Pitts wrote:
I thought of another comparison, maybe even more apt.. musicians and their instruments. I've known many guitar players who have named their favorite guitars.

By the way Phillip, if I were to get an 'upgrade' for Henry, it would definitely be a Hartz. He's just a great figure maker.

Oh, this comparison hits home since I also play guitar - although I have never named my guitars, you're right, many have.

And ditto on Hartz's figures. I've owned two and held a number of others, and they are Very nice figures. I sold one of the two I had because I could just never develop a character for him, but I really hesitated letting him go, and the one I still have will never go anywhere.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Seeing your partner as real (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL