We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Criss Angel's barrel escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If you didn't see this, on A&E try to catch a rerun. I think the focus was stolen by the bed of nails and Humvee, but the true artist was revealed during the barrel escape.

A serious lesson in build-up, with Lance Burton playing number two man in the sequence. This is the way it should play out from start to finish.
New to the world escape,proper build, emotional response.

The new textbook example. Escapology and mind control meshing like well machined gears. I know I have been pushing this for a while now but, here is an example of exactly what I have been talking about. Now I have dabbled a bit with Kentonistic and hypnotic/suggestion/NLP techniques mixed with escapes, but I can see I fell way short in my work and need a far more serious focus in this area.

The show was properly built psychological experience, based on emotion and verbal linkages that left you feeling that feeling of being scared and rethinking somthing a second and third time. We (EAs) have all been there so it is even a more powerful experience for us.

Like it or not this is the new extreme escapology era, and with folks using these types of emotion controlling, and psychological techiniques. He was able to take that deep personal fear that he had inside and properly project it out and onto the audience for maximum effect. There are a tiny handful of EAs starting in this extremist direction for a while now, and its going to be real hard to stay even with them if these are the types of events getting publicity, because that what the public wants. It doesn't matter if its a doorway act on the street,in someones living room, in the theater, or in the event stadium, the public will vote with their dollars.

Escapology is moving away from just presenting routines and effects and into an arena that demands far more than ever before from the performer, just to stay even.

Please do not respond about Criss good or bad. This discussion IS NOT about the performer. The only thing up for discussion is the performance methods/techniques of this particular escape.

This discussion IS NOT about the performer.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I agree that this was well done This effect made it worth suffering through some of the filler.
Rich
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Do you mean when the cuff was already open on the second time down?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
We noticed that flash too. Then again I noticed how the garbage can worked too and very few folks caught that. It could have been cut/edited a little better for entertaining us, I guess, but the premise then was a tangled cable at that point. Maby its too hard for most of us to see with spectator colored glasses now, but that's the very point I was making, as far as using techniques that were far from escapology. I caught a couple of other insides that could have been cut out on other things. Its for them though and not really for me, or us.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Well, while you're at it, you might as well throw in the butterfly flash too.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5342 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Kingstardog is right on about the theatricality of the escape stunt. The psychological build up was good, better than many (all)of the TV escapes I have watched in recent years.

Oddly, this was a page from Mr. Bakers book. This is the kind of thing that Mr. Baker was doing in the 70's and 80's. In fact, Mr. Baker did a very similar psychological build up in the late 70’s. He was hanging upside down from the top of the Houston Astro Dome (much higher than Angle’s stunt) and did a build up to an unexpected "accidental" fall (one of the first uses of a Bungee cord, in fact, before bungee cords were a thing!). Live in front of over 40,000 people. Everyone came to their feet!

Give Chris Angel his props! He did a good turn. His routine kept my attention even if I knew the outcome. Unfortunately the commercial breaks kept showing the fall so there was no surprise there, but that’s on A&E not Mr. Angel.

Phooey, on the flaws that we think we saw! Bottom line is that the man did a good turn and should be applauded for it! Maybe general audiences will start to want to see more escapes if this trend keeps up. But then we might just have to develop entertaining routines (and most aren’t).

I give the escape two thumbs up. It was good theatre!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
FLIM-FLAM
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of FLIM-FLAM
I give the Barrel Escape two thumbs up as well. Chris Angel is taking escapes to another level. His psychological build-up is second to none. The boy is good!
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Harry is right,two thumbs up for a good escape!
Well played out,but for me the payoff didn't live
up to the up front theater...... Still he sold it well!!

Well done Criss!

Steve Baker
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2005-07-28 21:08, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Well, while you're at it, you might as well throw in the butterfly flash too.

Well you know I have to agree completely as far as film work. Mark Wilson was the first ever on TV and he sold his show based on one premise. Once the illusion begins the camera is set till it ends. (Or a cutaway means death to the effect in the tv specs eyes) This what what he sold to the network and in fact worked very well for many years.

Once you cut away its no longer believable to anyone really.

The figures are in and he posted them. In a very tricky multi channel market he came out rather well for veiwership and age group.

Which brings up another very important question. How important is the use of suggestion/NLP/conversational hypnosis in bringing the whole effect about with the proper audience response?

Is this usage more effective in different age group demographics than others?

To be completly honest I have found overall that some people were profoundly affected but for the most part the 30-50 age bracket didn't have real great response to the techniques, where 50+ seemed to have the strongest responses.

Any other thoughts?

Quote:
On 2005-07-29 00:40, One-and-only wrote:

Harry is right,two thumbs up for a good escape!
Well played out,but for me the payoff didn't live
up to the up front theater...... Still he sold it well!!

Well done Chris!

Steve Baker

Agreed! too many teases kind of let some air out of the tires
but it was sold well.
The Amazing Zanzini
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Zanzini
Yes, but to the general viewing public who really have no clue as to what they are actually seeing, effective none the less. Keeping in mind of course, what audience is being played to!

The Amazing Zanzini
Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 11:02, cardandcoin wrote:
Angel show was ok.I like his stunts better than blaines.

See, this is where I think the magic community goes wrong. Constantly pitting the most famous (well, most televised) magicians against each other. I don't feel like Angel's stunts are better than Blaine's, nor vice versa. I think as a magic community we should try and support those who are creating interest in our art! I understand that the above statement is just a matter of opinion, but I still feel like it's like comparing apples with oranges. Blaine's stunts have been endurance stunts to show laymen how far a human body can be pushed...whereas Angel has been displaying other incredible feats. Each type of stunt has their own merits, but as long as it captivates people, it doesn't matter which stunts are "better". But then again...that's just my opinion! HA! Smile

-Eric D.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I think he Criis does his fair share to pit himself against others. I only saw two shows, but in one show he takes a swipe at Blaine and the other show, multiples at Houdini. I think if you do that, you can only expect to get compared, etc.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
That is very true. I was very disappointed when I saw that swipe at Blaine in Angel's broadcast. I thought it to be very unprofessional to leave that in for the final product.

-Eric D.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi guys,

Anyone get this on video? If so, any of you be prepared to post a copy to the UK? It would be great to see this escape, but being on my little island off the coast of France I don't get A&E Smile

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi Roslyn,

If you PM me your mailing address, and anything I'll need to know to get you a video tape safely through the mail, I can send it to you.

Can you use American VCR formats in the U.K.?

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Cliff,

Many thanks for the offer. I've PMed you my address.

Most VCRs can play US tapes, not all, but most.

Please let me know if I owe you anything for postage etc..

Thanks again,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
music
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of music
I thought it was a cheap shot to down play Houdini the way he did. I started losing interest at that point. I mean how can he say that he knows Houdini would never attempt something so dangerous. In fact Criss did not attempt something anymore dangerous than Houdini doing an upside down suspended straight jacket escape. Criss had his own built in safety factors. And besides I find it distasteful to downgrade the man that popularized the very thing Criss performed, an escape! Just my thoughts on it! Chuck
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Chuck, I thought the same way you did. But they replayed the show last night and I was listening a little more carefully this time. What I think Criss actually said was that certain Houdini historian's have told him that Houdini's escapes only appeared dangerous and that he was in complete control at all times...AND that these same people telling him this are the ones telling him that his own escape is much too dangerous and Houdini himself would have never attempted it.
Now if we are to take this on face value, all it means to me is that Criss could have fooled these so called experts by concealing the safety features. I really don't believe this to be true but I guess it's possible. What I think the real point of this message is that Criss is going to out-Houdini, Houdini, without coming across as a arrogant, egotistical jerk, so he plays it as a homage to Houdini while sublty stating he has progressed to a point beyond Houdini's skills.
I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, but I think that a lot of us do it. I'm guilty myself of performing my strait jacket escape, telling the audience that it took Houdini an average of 3 minutes to get out and I will try to break that record. I then escape in under 3 minutes, "breaking Houdini's record." I'm sure a lot of EA do worse than that. Now that's not to say that any of us think that we are greater than Houdini in reality, but during performances I think a certain amount of artistic licence is acceptable in order to make it a more exciting performance. I think that was Criss's real intention.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5342 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Folks, it was hype pure and simple! The whole script was designed to help set the mood and the scene.

It is exactly the kind of thing that Houdini would have done (and did on a regular basis)! Chris was selling the act/stunt/escape by contrasting it to a known reference point. Even if very few people actually know anything about the historical Houdini they do seem to have a familiarity with the myth of Houdini. That gives a reference point to contrast with and to build dramatic tension.

Mr. Angle created a bit of pseudo history to garner interest and to help create the theatrical mood. So what? It’s TV, it’s theater, it is not history and it’s not real (if you thought it was then…)! I didn’t hear Houdini being bashed at all. I just sat back and enjoyed some good theater.

You know, when you think about it, most (if not all) escapologists do exactly the same thing. I know I do. I hype the hell out of my act! I may even borrow some of Chris’ “history” of Houdini to help the hype.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Funny, what an expert passes for these days. I spoke to some of the best, and they say the direct opposite. Hmmmmm.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Criss Angel's barrel escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL