The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Conflagration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
This is the first time I have compiled an original puzzle, so any feedback, good or bad would be welcome.
A spy strikes a parrot and a conflagration ensues. How does this happen.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
This might help. Both the parrot and the spy are fictional.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
I'm guessing that by writing a sentence to say "Spy strikes parrot", we will end up with a word that means "a large, uncontrollable fire"

The only spy I can think of is James Bond, and "bonfire" starts with the same three letters as "bond", however, that is as far as I can get.

The only fictional parrots I can think of are Long John Solver's parrot (I think that was called Polly), Polynesia (Dr Dolittle) and Iago (Aladdin)/ Nowhere closer to solving it though...
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Stephen you are almost half way there with the parrot, and if you can find its correct name (it's not Polly), things will probably fall into place. The spy is not British but American.
Also the spy and the parrot are the catalyst for the fire, not the name for it. Maybe using the word conflagration was a chance for me to use a big word as the parrot and the spy could produce almost any type of non specific fire. By the way was Long John Solver a Freudian slip?
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Aaah - the parrot is called "Captain Flint". Flint was used to create sparks to start a fire. So I guess that the spy is called somthing like "Tinder"?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Pierce Brosnan protrayed both James Bond and
Remington Steele. I suppose every detective
does a bit of "spying."

There's also our man from Z.O.W.I.E, but I
don't think you can get fire from flint alone...
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Stephen you have got the first part right and the second part is staring you straight in the face. Without quite realising it, stanalger has solved the puzzle, all I need is a name, as not everyone will be familiar with Z.O.W.I.E. By the way stan (hope you don't mind the familiarity), although not easy, I believe you can get sparks from flint alone. Also would anyone care to tell me how I could have made this puzzle better, as being a virgin compiler I need all the advice I can get.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

I did a little search and found that Z.O.W.I.E. was the organisation from Our Man Flint. Presumably flint striking flint produces the sparks that causes the fire.
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
You strike flint against steel to get fire ... not sure yet where the parrot comes in ...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You hit a bird fast enough with a car, you get a conflagration anyway. Even more so with a plane.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Both the spy and the parrot are Flint.

I think that's the intended answer.

Flint against flint MAY produce sparks (I've never been
a Boy Scout and am not sure about this), but I think
flint must be struck against steel in order to produce
a hot enough spark to ignite kindling:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/striking.html
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Stan you may well be right about the flint, I am doing this from youthful memories. Next time I set a puzzle I'll make sure there can be no confusion. Both yourself and Stephen are correct in your answers.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Flint against flint usually begets chips.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Quote:
On 2005-07-31 17:07, ziatro wrote:
Stan you may well be right about the flint, I am doing this from youthful memories. Next time I set a puzzle I'll make sure there can be no confusion. Both yourself and Stephen are correct in your answers.

"My" answer was merely an elaboration on Stephen's.
Once he came up with Flint, the game was pretty much over.

I didn't know flint AND steel were required to make a fire.
I learned that after googling "flint" after Stephen
gave the parrot's name.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I thought Steel was a transtemporal agent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Conflagration (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL