The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Lateral Thinking Puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Every year I take a weeks vacation and embark on a money making venture. Usually around Myrtle Beach or somewhere in Florida. Large sums of money can be made. It's not an all together legal way to make money but it's not uncommon.

All my equiptment is packed and ready to go, but there is one thing I must do before I leave in order to make sure I'm successful. I have to go to the tanning salon and get a quick artifical tan. But I won't be putting my whole body in the tanning booth. No, I will only be placing my left hand in the booth for tanning.

Why would I do this? How am I going to try and make money?

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I hope this is hypothetical.

You'll be selling an instant tanning formula?
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26986 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I guess you want to look like a long haul driver.

Anywhere in particular?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
I assume the reason for tanning just the left hand is that it will be covered for most of your vacation, and it would look odd if at the end of it you had a white hand but an overall tan. Is this going down the right track?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Bill- No tanning formula for sale here.

Jonathan-I see what your saying, but it's not the entire arm. It has nothing to do with driving a truck or vehicle of any kind. Or attempting to look like I've been driving one.

Ziatro-You're on the right track, only in the sense that my left hand needs a tan before I go. It may or may not be covered for most of my trip. In fact it wouldn't really matter if it was covered once I get there or not. The main thing is that it be tan before I get there and begin my money making venture.

I could also lose money in this venture.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Do you tan both sides of your tanned hand? I'm thinking this might have to do with some betting game, or some other way to exploit that your hands both look untanned when you show them palm up (or down).
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I need to tan the entire left hand. It has nothing to do with showing the hands palm up or down. I'm not trying show both hands as untanned at any point. But if I don't tan the left hand it could compromise my money making attempts.

Also, in my first post I said that the money making venture is not uncommon. That may not be the right way to say it. This type of thing is not necessarily common. But it does go on.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Are people likely to be able to see the rest of you? Would they notice the disparity of skin tones?

Do you do this to make it appear there is someone else involved?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
People will see the rest of me. If they are astute they would notice the difference in the skin tone and be very leary to deal with me. That's why I have to get the hand tanned.

No, I don't do it to make it appear that there is someone else involved.
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
You're working a proctologist's convention?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Not quite Mushu.
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Quote:
On 2005-07-31 13:05, Vandy Grift wrote:
Not quite Mushu.

Does that mean I'm getting warm?

Are you tanning your left hand because it's the only part that needs to be tanned, or because that is the only part that can be tanned? Are you left-handed, or right-handed?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Ok, here is my thoughts! You make your left hand as dark as possible. You the reach under the curtin at photobooths and steal people's hand bags. They assume the person is black or latin. When the pull back the curtin and see only a pasty skinned white guy walking down the street they'll assume it wasn't you and go and find another suspect.

Is like racial profiling in reverse.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Nicolas- No on all counts. I'm not stealing from photobooths. I'm not trying to disguise my race or give the impression that I'm of another race.

Mushu-No your not getting warm. I'm tanning the left hand because that's the part that needs to be tanned at this point. I'm right handed.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Prior to leaving, is the rest of you already tan?

During your money making endevors, do you want you hand to appear the same color as the rest of you?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Sapient-Yes on both counts.

To clarify. Right now my left hand is untanned compared to the rest of my body. I don't want to be showing a white left hand when trying to get the money.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
So you do not want people to be aware of whatever it is you do normally that leaves your left hand less tan than the rest of you. This means you wear a glove on just one hand.

You are Michael Jackson and are going to enter a Michael Jackson impersonator contest. And because you are MJ, you are too far gone to realize that you don't have any sort of tan at all.

Or maybe you are a professional pool player who plays outside and wears a glove?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Sapient, you are so close. You've got the idea. You just haven't gotten my game yet.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Golf?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Bingo!!

I'm going to hustle golf. The puzzle comes from a bit of advice. If you get paired up on the golf course with a stranger who wants a money game. Check him out closely, if he carries a 2 iron, has 200 dollar golf shoes and a left hand the color of milk... Don't ever bet him.

Just say "No thanks pal, you don't get a tan like THAT playing softball"

Great job Sapient!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Lateral Thinking Puzzle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL