The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Movie Snipet Royalties? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Here is a question about royalties -- not to use music for a performance, but an audio clip from a movie. It would be for two or three clips, no longer than 4 seconds each, mixed into music that I've created myself. Do I need roayalties to use the audio clips, and if so where do I get them?
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Quote:
On 2005-07-29 20:36, lowphat wrote:
Do I need roayalties to use the audio clips, and if so where do I get them?

Just a quick correction, you don't "get" royalties, you pay them out. To simplify things, you only get them if you own the rights to the particular piece that's being used by someone else.

But to answer your question, unless you're headlining at major venues... I wouldn't worry about it.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
The legal stand point is yes you need permission. it's the whole copyright thing that the film and record industries freak out about.

as an attorney I would not recommend that you use pirated material at all regardless of the venue or lack there of. it's illegal and makes you a bad person.

ok I said it, done my duty as a man o the court.

oliver
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Oliver,

I'm always one to do things on the up an up. If I use something that requires me to pay royalties I can assure you that I will pay them. There are however certain songs and sounds that don't require royalties as long as it is not recorded and there are no tickets being sold. I agree, if you're supposed to pay you better pay.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Eric,

I see where you are coming from, but incorporating a clip from a movie into a song would require permission, they are generally not in the public domain.

I am not just saying this because you are one of those glam pi marines either, we all know that real marines come from san diego. being semper fidelis?

oh brother, what a hoot. at first I thought..how lame, and then I thought...why haven't I used that..good job.

oliver
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I did come from San Diego Smile
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Nice, when were you in? I was 91-95 at camp pendleton 0331, fox 2/9 then 2/4.

oliver
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
You machine gunner's are all alike. I went in in 1997 as a 41 but went to Security forces and filled and 8152 slot. Did some nuke security in Kings Bay, and then up to 2nd FAST in Yorktown.

Besides how could I be an adequate magician if I wasn't a Hollywood Marine?
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I was wondering how you would have swung that had you come from the island.

I find it is an excellent contrast having been a marine then moving to magician and on to attorney. it all makes sense to me.

why send a man when you can send a mortar? --my best friend was a mortarman, he still professes to be in the rear with the gear.

oliver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Movie Snipet Royalties? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL