The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three shell game with slippery shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Whenever I perform the three shells game my hands sweat and the walnuts tend to slip out of my hands. Is there something I can do to prevent this?
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
There have been quite a few threads on this. Do a search and you'll find what you need.
All the best,

Michael
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
468 Posts

Profile of martysh
Given only my 25+ years with the three shell game I think that sweat is not your enemy really...the basic move should be only a matter of tension in holding and holding at the fingertips. I would say grip a bit harder...but my real suggestion is my own greatest fault... I go to fast most of the time.(I know I know I hear the psychological inferences on that trait... I just always had whether I fear being caught or not)... try to go slower and see if the shells "cling" to you a bit better.

A second question might be the surface you are working on.. I question sweat as the enemy.

Let me tell you in a short digression why you want to stay with this trick.. because to my mind it is the greatest trick that encourages interaction with the spec... you can decide how to play it with who you have to maximum success. I don't know of too many other effects outside of deck of cards that allows this.

stay with it ... it can be just the best

Marty
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
It might also has to do with the shells you're using. Get ANY of the School For Scoundrels shells. They're perfect. No need for a close up pad. Just work on any surface. Somehow, the SFS shells work like a dream. You just put your hands on 'em and they do all the work for you. Sometimes, I feel guilty doing such an easy job, and still able to cheat the people.
All the best,

Michael
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
As I have mentioned elsewhere, you can try a couple of things:

1. Paint a coat of spar urethane over the outside. This will darken the shells slightly but will give some tack. An old trick of billiard ball workers was to apply two coats. The second coat goes on while the first coat is still slightly tacky.

2. Using some roughing spray, also known as Testors Dull-cote (Krylon has a similar product).

Good luck!

Andrew
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Go for the School for Scoundrel's Shells! In addition, the La Maggiore shells handle like a dream. I have had some slipping problems with the metal shells but this is probably because my hands tend to sweat quite a bit and I'm probably more comfortable with the non-metal shells. I also wipe my hands immediately before performing the three shells game. I've noticed that recently my hands have been sweating less probably due to being less nervous about performing this effect. I have only been performing the three shells game for about 3 months now and the slippery shell problem tended to go away with time.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
There is a relationship to hand size/shape and shell size/shape. Experiment with different shells. Find a set that fits you and that you can handle easily. Go back to the other set later after your skill has increased. Recently I went back to a set of shells I had the same problem with about a year and half before. Miraculously, they don't seem to be a problem now. Gee, who would have thought a couple hundred hours of practice would make such a difference?!? Smile
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just recently purchased a set of the School For Scoundrels Colorado Silver Shells. These are wonderful shells, but I was having a problem with my right hand, due to excessive dryness of the hands. When I tried to execute a particular move, the shell would slip out of my fingers. I could do it fine left-handed, but the right hand was eluding me.

Then I recalled "Vernon's Secret." I brought out my bottle of "Vernon's Secret," applied a few drops to both hands, and I could do the move with no problem at all.

However, "Vernon's Secret" is often quite difficult to find. There is an alternative, which I actually prefer. I have a waxed handlebar mustache. I use a product called "Pinaud white mustache wax" to keep it in shape. When my hands are very dry, and I need a little traction on my fingers, I will twist my mustache and get a tiny bit of the wax on them. An application of just a tiny bit of this to the contact areas of your fingertips will make it very easy to pick up a heavy shell.

I hope this helps.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Bill -

I am not familiar with "Vernon's Secret". I thought that Vernon always used "Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion". Is this the same thing? Anyhow, Golden Touch Lotion can be ordered from Chamberlain's Lotion, Des Moines, Iowa 50322. I haven't checked but one might be able to obtain it via the internet.

Also, I think there is another thread around here on slipperly shells. I know I got some excellent advice on the question and a similiar problem I was having with the Black Fox turtle shells.

Bill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's it. Same thing -- just an "inside" term. It is very difficult to find on the internet. I was going to set up a wholesale account with the people who distribute it, but the expenses would have been too much to justify it.

Maybe they could sell this in the lobby of the Castle as a way of raising money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Whit Haydn just gave me the tip I needed to make this work. There is a little bit of polishing wax on the shells when they come from S$S. Washing the shells with dish detergent removed this, and now they work just fine.

Thanks, Whit!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
You're welcome. I'm glad the tip helped, and glad you like my Colorado Silver Shells.

They are my favorites, and the ones I use most of the time now. I like them because they are a "period" piece that goes well with my 19th century character, and because they are so beautiful to look at and to handle, and such a beautiful "ring" when they touch.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was having problems with the swivel move. Now that's all cleared up. Amazing what a little detergent and water will do!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three shell game with slippery shells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL