The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Which magician alive today best emulates Dai Vernon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Just for me, there will never be another Dai Vernon.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Michael Ammar
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
I think Dai Vernon even thought of Michael Ammar as his predecessor.

Successor, maybe. Predecessor, impossible. Ammar would have had to have been performing prior to Vernon to be his predecessor.

Looking for a modern day Dai Vernon is like looking for a modern day D.D. Hume. There was only one. That was enough.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
David Plain...LOL!!! J/K (Plain is a better name)

There will never be another Vernon. I think he is a part of all of use who have studied his magic and those of us who have had the pleasure of seeing Vernon perform. I think if one wants to seek out more of Vernon's magic we could look to the likes of; B. Cervon, E. Nelson, M. Ammar, B. McComb, these are some men that knew him best and all were mentored by Vernon.

that's my 2cents.

Later & Out
RJ

Almost to 50 posts!!!
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
Quote:

So why is everyone so down on Sankey?

Mr. Foul-Mouth himself......
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
So far as idle conversation goes, love2laugh’s question is fun to discuss and can, if done thoughtfully, knowledgably and intelligently, help to flesh out certain qualities that make the greats great. I thought Paul C.’s initial comment was a good attempt to steer the conversation that way, when he wrote:
“If you are looking for the new "Professor" you would do well to list the qualities that make him someone to emulate.... Do we look for the good AND the bad?”

As someone else suggested, Vernon isn’t ancient history, like Fawkes, Hofzinser or Robert-Houdin are. So there are people still living who knew Vernon fairly well. But unfortunately for us, nearly 100% of the people best qualified to address the original question aren’t participating in this thread.

Clay
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
312 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
I think as far as elegance goes, Cellini is still wonderful to watch. I enjoy being his student right now. I would never compare the two, but Cellini has also that kind of knowledge of every aspect of magic. And he is still inventing great stuff. Wait for FISM 06, he will present some wonderful things.

In my opinion, Ammar might be great in Slight of Hand, and knowledge in MAgic, but I never thought much of him as an entertainer, or a great personality. To be honest, to me, he's just not soo magical.
Not even close as magical as vernon was to come back to the original discussion.
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26995 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Unfortunately... or fortunately... The person was human and is likely best remembered by his family. Then again... that takes us away from the fantasy land of supposed magic where clever is king and family values ( and social graces sometimes ) have no bearing.

Please don't cast a golden calf in Dai Vernon's image. It's much more useful to actually learn from the magic he left us. We can also learn much about the times as we find reference to wetbacks, peons and such in his presentations.

Where would the idolaters go were their icon smashed and found most human?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-03-01 14:26, Mogwai wrote:
I think as far as elegance goes, Cellini is still wonderful to watch. I enjoy being his student right now. I would never compare the two, but Cellini has also that kind of knowledge of every aspect of magic.

Jim Cellini is magic. You are incredibly fortunate to have such a wonderful teacher. Please tell him I said hello.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
312 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
Hi Dan

ok, I tell him you said hello. You were a student of his also?
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Paul Daniels... but no one even comes close!
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
No One!

There will never be another like him!!

:spoon:
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6159 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2005-07-31 19:49, love2laugh wrote:
Patrick Page, Billy McComb, Johnny Thompson!?!?!?

These old guys are not nearly as talented as Michael Ammar!

I cannot think of an effect Patrick, Billy, or Johnny can perform which is better than Ammar. Michael Ammar is probably of the the most influential magicians in the last 20 years.

~L2L
Are you kidding?
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 12:08, NeoMagic wrote:

Great pick, Neo.
Nat
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Nat
I have been involved with magic for over 45 years. And the most memorable magical experiences were the performances of Slydini and Vernon!!

Nathan

Quote:
On 2006-03-27 15:21, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 12:08, NeoMagic wrote:

Great pick, Neo.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When Vernon did his $1000.00 lecture tour, I attended the one he did in Arlington, Texas. This one was particularly historic, because it was the first of what later became the Desert Magic Seminar, and later, the WMS.

I had seen Vernon perform and lecture before. But this one was special. We had a chance to really talk to him. You have to consider the vast amount of knowledge he had, not just in magic, but in other subjects as well.

He explained a lot of material that few had ever seen him perform, such as the Ball, Cone and Handkerchief, which were very poorly explained in the Ganson book.

Vernon had a very strong influence on my way of thinking about and doing magic. All told, I probably spent no more than a week, total, in his presence. But that week, which was spread out over several different magic conventions, about a dozen or so years apart, did me more good than any video or other lecture I have ever attended.

Vernon had a way of putting your head on straight for you. He got you to focus on what was important and what you were doing to give away the store.

Maybe in 30 years Sankey or Ammar or one of the other likely suspects that someone or another has mentioned will be capable of filling these shoes, but I really don't think so. And it has nothing to do with Sankey or Ammar. It has to do with something that Vernon said at the $1000.00 lecture. I'll paraphrase it.

It's wrong to try to be another Doug Henning, or Mark Wilson, or another Channing Pollock. No matter how good you get at being another Doug Henning, you will never actually BE Doug Henning. You will only be a copy of him and nothing more. You will never be as good at being Doug Henning as Doug is. But he could never be YOU, either! So be the best magician you can be. And be yourself. Don't be Doug Henning or Mark Wilson or Channing Pollock. You will never be successful at that. Be yourself.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
191 Posts

Profile of Hayre
This was not a practical question, or even a satisfactorily answerable one, but it sure was a fun one. You might just as well ask....who is the next Marlo, Slydini, or Don Alan, for that matter. Marlo and Slydini also had tremendous impact, made huge contributions, and had many followers, even during Vernon's tenure. You might make a case that Don Alan had even more followers, at least based on how many people use his material in their acts.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
I'd say Michael Ammar or Eugene Burger...

-Vinnie
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 00:53, Whit Haydn wrote:
That's a coincidence--I was Shirley Maclaine in a past life...

Asking who the modern day Vernon or the current Houdini is--is, well, silly. It is the kind of question only asked by those who knew none of the names in question.

Who is today's Al Jolson? Who is the new Louis Armstrong? Is Springsteen still the new Bob Dylan?

Vernon was one of a kind. What he did does not need to be done again. He was not the new Hofsinzer or the new Erdnase. He was Vernon--a fascinating and difficult man who made a huge contribution to the art of magic.

Like Prometheus, he brought us fire from the gods--magic that would not be still here with us today had Vernon not existed. Much of it was original, much was learned from the masters of the Golden Age, and everything had his thought, touch, and imprint on it.

Billy McComb, Johnny Thompson and the others mentioned here are giants in their own right, and not just "the closest thing to Vernon."

They have made their own unique contributions to the art of magic.

It is impertinent and presumptuous to use such language, and I sincerely doubt that any of the people mentioned so far would appreciate being nominated for such a "title."

I couldn't agree more. All the magicians named here brought something unique to the table. All have made their contributions. Vernon was Vernon. He wrote his tributes to Liepzig and Malini, but that didn't make hin "the new Liepzig" or "the new Malini", and he never claimed to be.
Has anyone else had the influence on close-up magic that Vernon did? I doubt it. Micheal Ammar is a great teacher of magic, and Johnny Thompson has passed along a lot of what he learned directly from Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller, but niether one would claim to be "the new Vernon".
This is like those lists that come out every now and then of the greatest boxers or the greatest ballplayers of all time. It's fun to argue about it and everyone has their favorites, but let's agree that all of them are unique and deserve creit in their own right.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 18:58, Bill Palmer wrote:

It's wrong to try to be another Doug Henning, or Mark Wilson, or another Channing Pollock. No matter how good you get at being another Doug Henning, you will never actually BE Doug Henning. You will only be a copy of him and nothing more. You will never be as good at being Doug Henning as Doug is. But he could never be YOU, either! So be the best magician you can be. And be yourself. Don't be Doug Henning or Mark Wilson or Channing Pollock. You will never be successful at that. Be yourself.

I agree 100%. This is something we all ought to know already. Doc Tarbell said it over and over in every volume of the Tarbell Course, but the reason he said it so much was because it can never be said too many times! Thanks for the reminder!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
We are all unique. There will never be another Dai Vernon.
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Which magician alive today best emulates Dai Vernon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL