The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-08-11 08:24, Bob Clayton wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-10 15:36, EvilGenius wrote:
While perusing other sites, I find many of the methods in CCIM are sold as downloads ($10-$15 each) at those sites. Much money can be saved by purchasing and using materials in such books.

Not sure how many people here would remember or even know of Phil Thomas. He was the owner of Yogi’s Magic Mart in Baltimore, and his shop was located on Charles Street up until the mid-1980’s. But what I remember most about Phil Thomas was his repetition of the same advice every time I visited his shop as a teenager back in the 70’s. “For the price of a single trick you can buy a book full of tricks.” I think I grew a bit tired of hearing the same line over and over again, but the bottom line was that it was very good advice for any young magician. Especially one on a limited budget.

Hi Bob
I knew Phil well, and spent many hours in his Yogi Magic Mart, both the old and newer locations. Phil's advice was right on the mark, and still holds true. Even with the wonderful advance of DVDs, I still think there's no substitute for a good magic book and a mirror.
Do you go to Barry's? Here's hoping the last magic shop in the DC area can survive!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
201 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 12:48, Julie wrote:
Interesting note: If you have an opportunity to watch Mark's Magic Land of Alakazam and Magic Circus series of shows he performed on National Television "back in the day" you'll see many, many of the effects/presentations from his book...

If you don't mind VHS vs. DVD, you can find the VHS of the Complete Course in Magic for a buck or two usually on Ebay.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There is more than one vhs of complete course in magic, In fact I have the entire video series of CCIM and it 8 tapes. Hard to find more than 1-3 commercially anymore, Nani sent the whole set to me. They don't advertise it on the site anymore, but probably still have some left.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I have CCIM, and I have to say that it is an amazing book. This is a great start to magic for anyone. There are several tricks in here that are pretty cool and unique. I was wondering about something -- is the "Four-Card Assembly (pg 123)" like Oz's Ultimate Ace Assembly? Thanks!!!
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Ill happily jump in on this to agree with most people on here that "you must buy this book".

While the cards are not going to blow YOUR mind if your reading RRtCM etc they still are very effective with the audience. Plus all the other genres that he covers are just great - Id never seen or heard of billard ball magic untill I read this book and now its one of my fav routines.

The tricks are great - just add your own presentation...

Oh - and to the question that was asked "who still uses the hindu shuffle" - I do...my specs love it and its a great simple shuffle for controls etc.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
The sponge ball routine is good, as is the billiard ball and cups and balls routines.But the effects that really stand out is the magazine test in the mentalism section, torn and restored card, 4 coin assembly, coins across and coins through table--they are really good.
As for the Hindu Shuffle, luckily many people(layman) still shuffle this way where I live.
AJ
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I am just a newbie but I like the sandwiched aces card trick. I think its even better when the spectator signs the card!

Plus if you watched born to perform you already know all of the moves.
Fresh
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Fresh
Although I think many of the forces etc. used that he calls "perfect" are far from it (i.e. much less direct than a classic or Hofzinser force - in one a spectator says a number, then the magician tells the spectator to count down to that number, dealing the cards to demonstrate. It's redundant and the audience would wonder why you need to demo such a simple task, especially if the number was large (ex. more than 10)), I think this book has great material. I do not understand why he has the cards signed in the Card to Wallet (it's a prediction effect), but the rest of the self-working section impressed me, especially the Double X Mystery, the first one in the book (I can't remember but the selection reverses) and the Torn and Restored Card. My problem is that I can't seem to get the restored card to shoot out of the deck as he teaches it. Any tips?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL