The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2005 entrée: J.C. Wagner » » Torn & Restored Card » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Just wanted to let you know JC, that I've been using your "Torn & Restored Card" effect from "7 Secrets", since it was published in 1978. I've also used Paul LePaul's version from his book. I've played around with other versions, including Reparation, but your's can't be beat for pure simplicity and it's very powerful when presented well.

Have you found any improvements to this trick? Have you given it up for an entirely different routine? I've loved this effect for 25 years...just wondering if you do too.
Coram Deo
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I have just bought literally within the hour Full Metal Jacket, which looks great. I have enjoyed reading your 7 Secrets and Commercial Magic books and loved them both. I am a huge fan of your work, and your torn and restored matix has got me thinking, and I am now already under way of creating my own version with a full card restoration and other little bits. Take care, and I would love you meet yo one day to show you some of my moves and tricks.

Chris
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
I too use the torn and restored from Seven Secrets. Its very good....but we all knew that.... Interestingly I have been getting an incredible ammount of fun out of doing the Domergue one piece at a time restoration, and when folks say do that again, [they often do for me, and sometimes I dwell long enough to help force the request], because of the piece that is left after the Domergue routine I am able to go straight into JC Wagners great version. Although the extra piece left after the first restoration is in the wrong orientation & joined along the long edge its nevertheless quite easy to alter JC's moves & routine to take account of this.

Some may say what is the point of seemingly doing the same effect twice!!

None at all really... unless the moment calls for it; and when it does you have a great complex routine that leaves your audience impressed. In part because the second method helps deconstruct the first one in the minds of the spectators.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all your contributions to our art JC.

Zapik.
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Hi Steven, No I haven't made any improvements to the original routine except adding the idea of Jay Marshall's that I put on the Commerical Magic tape's/D.V.D's. It has played so well all these years, you hate to change anything about it. Glad your performing it still.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
AMEN AMEN...The Best torn and restored and for sure the best for a bartender...quick,visual......Thanks for giving us that and I have used it for over 12 years now with great reactions.

tpdmagic
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Thanks everybody for kind remarks on my "Torn and Restored Card" It has sereved me well all these years behind the bar and walk around. It's one of those effects that's fun to do and watch their reactions when it becomes whole again except for the piece in there hands.
Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
philip tilston
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of philip tilston
J.C. Do you ever have spectators asking you to restore the final piece, and if so how do you get out of it? I generally look them straight in the eye and say that I used to restore the final piece, but when the spectators took the card out of their wallet a year later they forget it was ever completely torn. Thus I leave them them with the restored 3/4 and the final piece as a logical (?) reminder that the card was torn and restored. Any other ideas?

Best wishes,
Phil
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
I hope its okay for me to contribute here. As far as restoring the final piece is concerned using JC Wagners great routine, there is an interesting comment somewhere in 'The Art of Astonishment' by Paul Harris, along the lines of 'Dancing with the last piece'. However a great idea which I heard of from a friend is to have a souvenir book of last pieces. When you complete the Wagner routine take the last piece from them and slip it into your pocket size display book which contains all the other final pieces from every other time you performed the effect. Show them the book, and tell them its your amazing collection of 'last pieces'. Its a pretty opportunity for some theatre to creat a moment for humouress interchange between yourself and the audience.

Zap
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2005-08-03 14:54, Count Zapik wrote:
However a great idea which I heard of from a friend is to have a souvenir book of last pieces. When you complete the Wagner routine take the last piece from them and slip it into your pocket size display book which contains all the other final pieces from every other time you performed the effect. Show them the book, and tell them its your amazing collection of 'last pieces'. Its a pretty opportunity for some theatre to creat a moment for humouress interchange between yourself and the audience.

Zap

That is a great idea... thank you for sharing that.

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Count Zapik, VERY nice Idea my friend! I like it alot. As you put the piece in the little solt, like what you put picture's in an album with, you can have them sign thier name right below it and date it! that's what old J.C. is going to do believe me. People will ask to see THIER piece after you have performed it for someone else! Tell your friend, thanks for a great IDEA. Thanks Count!

Best in Magic to you, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
If I may expound on the Count's wonderful idea...get them to sign their autograph on the paper and, if their interested, their email address. I've begun compiling email addresses, which it seems people are more likely to give out these days. I'm going to be doing a monthly newsletter and, those emails come in handy for keeping my face in front of peoples' minds.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Hello JC,
Just curious, is this routine in Seven Secrets the same t&r "One Tear at a Time" that you did with Brad Burt?
Thanks in advance,
Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Lee, No it's entirely different. The orignal Torn and Restored Card in 7-Secrects is the one I use.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I LOVE your Torn and Restored from 7 Secrets. For anyone who doesn't know it, It's apparently impromptu, 2 minutes prep at the start of the night and you can do it all evening any time, needs no force, therefore can be used with any card after another effect, (I usually follow Ambitious card to wallet.) It's also relatively simple allowing you to concentrate on presentation not Fingers.

Re the last piece. My ending, I talk about souvenires and how generally useless, (literally,) they are, but Ii say I'm going to give you a souvenire that you can actually use "......This is why this makes such a great souvenire, When you get home tell your friends that you saw a Tall handsome, magician....With lots of hair, ( I am tall,) They'll never know.(Smile) Then you say I selected a card from the pack, he tore it into 4 pieces in front of me, and showed me they were seperate, then, by magic, he melted 3 pieces back together. Now comes the good bit, you show them this (The main restored card,) and bet them a beer that they can't find any glue, solvents or fixatives of any kind on this card, then when they can't, you bet them another beer, that this piece, (Last quarter,) that has been in your hand all the way through, really is from the same card, and finally you bet them another beer that they can't stick this piece back in the way that the tall handsome long haired magician in Palma Nova did. That's a great souvenire."

Mind you I love to "I'll keep this to remind me of you," Idea as well.

Thanks

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
Darwin had a presentation idea in his routine the Marker for not restoring the last piece. He has the spectator sign the card and then Darwin writes on the card "I owe you $1,000." Then he does the torn and restored card but leaves the last piece and says if he restores the whole card the spectator will owe him the money. Darwin uses the Marlo method from the Cardician but I always felt J.C.'s routine would fit the presentation better.

Regards,

Steve
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Steve, That's when I would get the tape out and tape the last piece on and try and collect the MONEY! Ha, Ha. Cute idea of Darwin's though. Thanks.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Like all the other posters here, I think J.C.'s T&R is first rate.

But beyond that, the thinking behind the method is not only devious, it is groundbreaking. Look how many routines which followed use J.C.'s basic premise.

A great trick, J.C. Wagner, and it's so good to have you here on the Café.

Matt Field
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Actually, I don't know if JC's routine is original or independent. Eddie Joseph had a similar handling (the tearing sequence) with a dollar bill published in the 50's. I suspect, it was independent, but JC would be the only one to know.
Coram Deo
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Steven, To answer the Big Question of where I got my inspirational source for Torn&Restored Card is Jeff Busby's, " Into The Fourth Deminsion"! Remember that booket? He was going in a different direction with turning a Card inside out and I saw somethig different. It set my mind going towards doing a Torn&Restored card. At the time, Paul Harris was working on the same lines with his wonderfull torn CARD version also.As a matter of fact, he gave me credit for helping him with one of the tears in his routine in his book. He liked mine, but wanted it to be only one card and use NO extra piece or piece's If as you say, Eddie Joseph had something similar, I think after all these years it would have come to lite. I for one do not want to take away from another Man's Idea. That is not my stile guy's. If I have Independently stepped on his shoes, I want to know!

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I remember "Into the Fourth Dimension" as well as Paul Harris's routine. Paul's is another excellent version, I felt "Into the Fourth Dimension" was too much work to set up, but loved the premise.

I don't know how well circulated Eddie Joseph is. I fell in love with his thinking in the early 70's and Abbott's is the only distributer of Eddie's material as far as I know. Most of his stuff has been collected into a single work, which, while dated, has some really good ideas.

I know magicians sometimes come up with ideas independently, (Paul has a routine that's almost identical to one developed by Ned Rutledge), but sometimes great minds think alike, as they say. Anyway, we are all richer because of it.
Coram Deo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2005 entrée: J.C. Wagner » » Torn & Restored Card » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL