The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Sapient's only lateral (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Was there some kind of accident?
Death?
Injury?
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
"Was there some kind of accident? " YES

"Death?
Injury?"

No. No.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Were humans involved in the accident?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What specifically does it mean to you to make vague statements and then ask others to elicit yes or now answers from you?

Even autistic children respond better to behaviorism. The prod or the cookie, your choice.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 03:07, jstone wrote:
Were humans involved in the accident?

One human caused the accident.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 08:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What specifically does it mean to you to make vague statements and then ask others to elicit yes or now answers from you?

Even autistic children respond better to behaviorism. The prod or the cookie, your choice.

It is just a form of a puzzle. In a lateral a statment is made, and through the use of yes and no questions, something is revealed. There is generally a big twist involved.

The classic example (and I hope no one minds me giving away the asnwer to this old chestnut) is that of Fred and Ginger laying dead in a puddle of water. By asking questions, such as "Was the water poisoned" and "Were Fred and Ginger married", it is fond that Fred and Ginger are fish from a broken aquarium. The fun is in finding the twist.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Any crimes involved?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
No crimes.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-05 10:03, Sapient wrote:...It is just a form of a puzzle. ...

Almost ... and narrowly so

Among adults it is a technique for discovering the parameters of someone's world.

As stated in your screen name, the content and format reflects upon you. Start with clear concise statements and expect others to judge you by your choice of perspective. The riddles contain lessons. How and when you offer them are your affair.

For example consider the dialog about the blind, mute and deaf people in a thread nearby, and the problem of how to communicate a message from the mute to the blind, given some hostility on the part of the deaf and the fourth party. What does that puzzle say to you? Look at the constraints imposed. What does that say to you?

As to the fish... remember, only people give names to fish. The fish themselves do not have names or language as far as we know. The answer is ONLY meaningful among people and holds additional cultural presumptions. That is the message offered with the riddle. The lesson comes with the question that follows.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
LOL! I did not invent laterals. BUt if oyu think you can make sweeping judgements about people based on the kind of puzzles they post, might I suggest you get out a bit more?

And yes, puzzles don't really matter to bacteria and asteroids, and humans speak from their own cultural perspectives. O'm sorry if your fish find human communication to be non-fish like.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-05 11:27, Sapient wrote:
LOL! I did not invent laterals. ...

When you can reflect upon your statements, I can enjoy dialog. Till then how can we tell the difference between what you type and what a non-sapient types?

Sentience helps too.

Hint: Nobody needs to read your mind when they can read your words. What is left are your choices about what you show of yourself. Oops, gave part of the sentience riddle away there.
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
You are......very odd. Laterals are very common is puzzle loving circles. Sure, you can figure out that I like puzles from the fact that I have posted one, just as I can see that thre real world plays no part in your arm chair philosophies.

It does not bother me in the least that you don't care for laterals. But do you have to polute the thread? Do you stand over people doing crosswords screaming that their reliance on right angles means that are far too inflexable? Do you knoock over chessboards because you don't approve the the warmongering ways of chess players?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Trying ad-hominem? Sorry to say I make a horrible scrying pool.

Keep looking, when one starts to see beyond themselves, it's easy to find the worst.

Not your type?

LOL
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Normally I would not behave like you, but it was obviously the only thing that could get through to you. I'm glad it worked, and hope you can find a more suitable outlet for your wannabe philosiphizing.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Still not the flavor of confusion you wanted?
It's okay, I spend lots of time confused too. Smile

The word we need to watch out for is rationalizing.
The engine of reason takes rational rails wherever it's pointed.

I look forward to discovering or reading the 'types' you have in mind.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Er, could I please suggest that we continue this discussion elsewhere?

FWIW, I think these "20 question" type puzzles are a valid form of puzzle. Discussions off topic to the puzzle really should be taken elsewhere.

Can we have a recap, please?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

So far:

Humans involved, an accident, no sawing and no fatalities.

One human caused the accident, yet none of the types are human, typological nor blood.

Many types of confusion offered.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Will it help to know the number of humans involved?

1? 2? 3? more than 10?

Is their job relevant? Are they all adults?
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
The number of adults is me plus the confused.
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

So there are two adults, yes?

Was there a relevant conversation between you two?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Sapient's only lateral (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL