The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
My 2% of $1.00 is really bad spelling and grammer.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm going bizarre and want to get some use of my old children's show props. Any suggestions? I already fingured out how to dye the old costume black and curl the toes on the big shoes.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2005-09-03 17:36, Jerrine wrote:
"I got $10 for my birthday, what should I buy?"

Sounds like a kid wanting to spend his/her new found gain on a wise choice. Why lose respect? I bought Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic for $1 at a second hand store. A set of sponge balls at $4.95. Two decks of Bikes at Wally World for $3. Right there under $10 I got something going. A chance to guide a youngster in the right direction, yes, loss of respect, no.

No disrespect intended.

WHAT???? Smile !!!!

You could have saved another $5 up, and bought a packet trick at Penguin Magic.

No disrespect intended Smile
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
While I agree that someone asking for information that can be readily found with a little effort is annoying, there is something that I intensely dislike: when someone asks for members' opinions about some aspect of magic, invariably, a long-time user will chime in with, "That topic has already been discussed here; use the search function." The unspoken message is, "Everything of any value can that can be said about the topic has already been said. Stop wasting our time." Well, I'm sorry, but new members are joining all the time, and many of them might have something valuable to say, regardless of whether or not others have already expressed their opinion. What's more, people change their minds, learn something new, have a life-altering experience, etc., and might have a different opinion now than when the topic was originally discussed. If you don't feel like adding your thoughts to a thread, don't, but don't be so patronizing and condescending as to assume that just because a topic has been discussed before, there's nothing new that anyone can add.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One way is to use "chat room English." Ppl who don't have enuf courtesy 2 spell out words can really make you hurl.

Other things along this line -- PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPS! Hey, that's shouting, man!

and people who write in all lowercase. maybe it's supposed to be cool or something. you have a shift key. USE IT!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Quote:
On 2005-09-05 11:58, jwebyra wrote:
My 2% of $1.00 is really bad spelling and grammer.
Smile As a moderator on another site, I agree! I like the way you spelled grammar to make your point.

I also lose respect for those who berate, belittle, or otherwise disrespect people for merely expressing an opinion that does not harm anyone else.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Quote:
On 2005-09-06 23:40, Phaedrus wrote:
..."That topic has already been discussed here; use the search function." The unspoken message is, "Everything of any value can that can be said about the topic has already been said. Stop wasting our time." ... If you don't feel like adding your thoughts to a thread, don't, but don't be so patronizing and condescending as to assume that just because a topic has been discussed before, there's nothing new that anyone can add.

I agree that some of these messages could be a little more gentle, but I don't agree with the "unspoken message" you're getting. I really don't think the people who post "do a search" think that there's nothing new to add. There's nothing to prevent people from adding to the old thread instead of starting a new one.

When folks don't use the search and just start a new topic - all the information in the previous threads is essentially ignored in favor of the new thread, resulting in a lot of extra effort to get back to the same level of discussion in the older thread. It's certainly a different story if a search doesn't result in an answer to your question - but even then, I'd think it a lot more valuable to everyone to add your question or observation to an existing pertinent thread so the existing topic keeps building instead of starting from scratch each time.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One thing that gets me, regarding the lack of the use of searches, is when you go to one of your favorite sections of the forum and you see a topic that reads "What is your favorite _____?" and two topics below it is one that says
"My favorite _____"

If you don't pay attention, you are never going to be worth beans at this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Repeats...Repeats and Repeats. I am starting to see the same questions over and over. There is really some good stuff here if one does a search.
Dennis Michael
kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
I just think it's such a stupid name- Dai Vernon! What good can a magician be with a name like that? It should be something cool like "Magical Me".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 00:06, Bill Palmer wrote:
One way is to use "chat room English." Ppl who don't have enuf courtesy 2 spell out words can really make you hurl.

Other things along this line -- PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPS! Hey, that's shouting, man!

and people who write in all lowercase. maybe it's supposed to be cool or something. you have a shift key. USE IT!

We can be grateful we don't have the guy I saw on a newsgroup who not only wrote in all caps, but placed astericks around each word! *ALL* *OF* *HIS* *POSTS* *LOOKED* *LIKE* *THIS!*
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
"One way is to use "chat room English." Ppl who don't have enuf courtesy 2 spell out words can really make you hurl.

and people who write in all lowercase. maybe it's supposed to be cool or something. you have a shift key. USE IT!"

Laugh out loud (I didn't want to get caught abbreviating) and ditto.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Not knowing how to "quote". Just kidding, 4e. (Look above the post that you want to quote, and click, "quote" . . . "Viola!!" Yes, that is the wrong spelling for Voila. . . I was quoting an old Mad Magazine.)

Ditto what 4e and Bill said, too! I don't allow that on the site I moderate, either.

People who are always disagreeable; everything becomes a debate.
JM Smile Smile

www.JesterMan.com

medaca
View Profile
New user
france
37 Posts

Profile of medaca
Agressive peoples
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Bad spelling and grammar and caps lock and text speak don't bother me, although I don't use them myself, and understand that they're frowned upon by the forum management.

We're here to discuss magic aren't we? As long as one can understand the member, I think a meaningful conversation can develop. The reason I bring it up is that the "proper english" attitude taken to extreme can discourage some younger members and there isn't enough encouragement for younger members. Especially with all those rude put downs about "use the search function" or "reading some basic magic text or other before you ask questions like that".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The problem with all of this non-standard stuff is that it interferes with communication. I design everything with the lowest standard of vision in mind. There are more people on the internet who are visually handicapped or impaired than most people realize. I'm glad we don't have a color font option. Some people can't read colors. A really clever post done in multiple colors (actually an oxymoron) may look like this S j rt pew w w sf.!
(or worse!)

Posts that are in all caps are hard to read. Chatroom English is lazy English. And I must admit that when I see ppl who rite n chat, I am turned off by it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
WhT rLlY aNnYs Me Is WhN PePlE fEeL tHe NeEd 2 TlK lYk Dis.
Aargh I mean just why do it!
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 00:06, Bill Palmer wrote:

People writting in lowercase lose your respect? WOW... I think this thread is EXACTLY what the problem is with us magicians... "Top ten reasons to lose respect on The Magic Café" please.... respect from who? from people who have thousands of posts? people who sit here all day posting and ranting? I'll voice my opinion based on experience and what works for me and I really don't care if I lose anyone's respect on this website over my posts....

Why did it affect me when I saw your post?

because my name is eric, and I am a lowercase writter!!!!!!!!!! hehe
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 23:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
The problem with all of this non-standard stuff is that it interferes with communication.
To expand on this; it makes it more difficult for the non-native English speakers to figure out what is meant, and in the more extreme cases, even those who are fairly accomplished English speakers can be unsure.
JM Smile Smile

www.JesterMan.com

bunglebear
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bunglebear
Please accept my apologies for writing in non-caps. No harm is meant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL