The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-03 13:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Referring to "Expert at the Card Table", EACT, by the name of it's fictitious and obviously constructed pseudonym 'S. W. Erdnase' by the term "Erdnase", capitalizing such (not even a fictitious person folks, capitalization not required) and then writing about the intent of the person.

I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 22:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I've got my bizarre act all ready and I have this great idea for a card trick. Has anyone tried turning over two cards at the same time? They are thin and I bet you could get away with it. Has this been done? I want to make sure before I put this revolutionary concept on my next DVD.

I heard Penguin are planning on releasing this on DVD for $49.99 - it's called the 'Twin Lift'. It's an exclusive. Oh, and the music is way cool.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Arguing forever and ever on what is better, or where origination starts. Magicians being rude to new guys and complaining when a question is re asked from time to time. Those people really lose my respect.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-08-06 15:37, Bill Palmer wrote:...I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.

Persi is smart enough to know the difference between calling it "erdnase" and "Erdnase"=author. For the young... cite the text all you like, and do read the text, it's rich in content. HOWEVER, it does not serve to presume upon "author" of the text. In this case the textual method of psychoanalysis is not directly applicable.

Performing flourishes and gambling demonstrations in conjuring context usually demonstrates how well folks have read the erdnase text. Sadly, those who fawn over the memory of Vernon have glommed onto the reputation of the text while missing its contents. Our Magic can help remind the student that magic is diminished by demonstrations suggesting any juggling or secret facility in manipulating the props.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Who started this stupid thread, what a freaking moron

Just kidding, was that one on the list.

Hahah, just a joke guys, this is a good topic
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Ah what the heck, I'll tip the "Erdnase" issue.

You are supposed to be a magician. When you refer to an author not in evidence, you are speaking of a thing the way laymen speak of magic. Hence the instant loss of respect by those who clearly understand that there is no Erdnase person. Got it?
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
Quote:
I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.

OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep?

Fredd
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:...

One is free to invent fictitious characters. A good literary device. When one confuses the facts and fictions on such matters... well there is a spectrum that runs from "fooled" to "deluded" to "denial of reality". One gets to pick ones position on those matters too. I for one have no problem respecting the delusions of others. The easter rabbit delivers nice baskets and Santa brings presents on occasion. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:
Quote:

Fredd

Read the introduction to Snotalever by Nonrev, and you will know.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I'm guessing..but should that read..Snoitalever ?

Howard
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
Sknaht!

Dderf
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
!regnarts dna regnarts gnitteg si daerht sihT
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

As long as you don't expect much additional respect for a grade school gag, enjoy. Those who are in grade school and for whom this is new stuff ( joke name of EaCT author too ) enjoy the new territory.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
... or what about people who say, 'do you like my latest avatar ? '.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 01:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:...

One is free to invent fictitious characters. A good literary device. When one confuses the facts and fictions on such matters... well there is a spectrum that runs from "fooled" to "deluded" to "denial of reality". One gets to pick ones position on those matters too. I for one have no problem respecting the delusions of others. The easter rabbit delivers nice baskets and Santa brings presents on occasion. Smile
When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-14 19:45, ringmaster wrote:...When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.

Agreed Ringmaster. My issue is with those who mistake the obvious non-name for a single real person who wrote the text and who then proceed to make comment about the mindset etc of that person, who may in fact be many people including an editor or two. It would be fun and amusing for all if they were not serious about it. In literary theory this is a case of a text creating its author in the minds of the readership. A feat worthy of Umberto Eco. Again, laudable were it not in the community of magicians who are supposed to be far beyond such things.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 20:04, Alan Wheeler wrote:
I have seen people lose respect at the Magic Café for asking simple questions and for disagreeing with the conventional wisdom and popular opinions of magic. So whether right or wrong, one can lose respect here by revealing ignorance or by questioning dogma.

alan

I don´t have a problem with questioning dogmas. It depends on how it is done....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Well, a good way to lose respect, in my opinion, is making fun of beginners or younger members.

You were all young and inexperienced once, guys. It's all to easy to laugh, but not so easy to learn. Remember that, the next time you deride the sometimes over-enthusiastic or currently nieve beginner.

The way you respond today, could be the straw to determine if they consign their fledgling hobby to the trashcan or develop into a star of tomorrow.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
The ones I love:

- Which is the best card effects from all the times? (Why? Do you know at least one?)

- Which is the best automatic card routine? (Lazy... lazy...)

- I have this book, Which is best effect from it? (What´s up`? Is reading boring for you?)

- Where to buy the new coolest cobra-tiger-elephant white-rose-green cards made by ellusionist? (If you ask me where to learn magic, maybe I would answer you).

- Dvds or books to learn? (First... learn).

- I have cheat my friends and win them money with poker (Great for you! Thanks because now I know of who I will never be a friend).

Of course, the "how Blaine levitates?" is the best one Smile

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I don't like people earning posts by posting things like;

this has been discussed before
try the search function

Rannie

If we want to help, might as well go all the way. Otherwise its just blabber.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL