The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
Sknaht!

Dderf
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
!regnarts dna regnarts gnitteg si daerht sihT
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
As long as you don't expect much additional respect for a grade school gag, enjoy. Those who are in grade school and for whom this is new stuff ( joke name of EaCT author too ) enjoy the new territory.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
... or what about people who say, 'do you like my latest avatar ? '.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 01:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:...
OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep?

One is free to invent fictitious characters. A good literary device. When one confuses the facts and fictions on such matters... well there is a spectrum that runs from "fooled" to "deluded" to "denial of reality". One gets to pick ones position on those matters too. I for one have no problem respecting the delusions of others. The easter rabbit delivers nice baskets and Santa brings presents on occasion. Smile
When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 19:45, ringmaster wrote:...When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.

Agreed Ringmaster. My issue is with those who mistake the obvious non-name for a single real person who wrote the text and who then proceed to make comment about the mindset etc of that person, who may in fact be many people including an editor or two. It would be fun and amusing for all if they were not serious about it. In literary theory this is a case of a text creating its author in the minds of the readership. A feat worthy of Umberto Eco. Again, laudable were it not in the community of magicians who are supposed to be far beyond such things.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 20:04, Alan Wheeler wrote:
I have seen people lose respect at the Magic Café for asking simple questions and for disagreeing with the conventional wisdom and popular opinions of magic. So whether right or wrong, one can lose respect here by revealing ignorance or by questioning dogma.

alan

I don´t have a problem with questioning dogmas. It depends on how it is done....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Well, a good way to lose respect, in my opinion, is making fun of beginners or younger members.

You were all young and inexperienced once, guys. It's all to easy to laugh, but not so easy to learn. Remember that, the next time you deride the sometimes over-enthusiastic or currently nieve beginner.

The way you respond today, could be the straw to determine if they consign their fledgling hobby to the trashcan or develop into a star of tomorrow.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
The ones I love:

- Which is the best card effects from all the times? (Why? Do you know at least one?)

- Which is the best automatic card routine? (Lazy... lazy...)

- I have this book, Which is best effect from it? (What´s up`? Is reading boring for you?)

- Where to buy the new coolest cobra-tiger-elephant white-rose-green cards made by ellusionist? (If you ask me where to learn magic, maybe I would answer you).

- Dvds or books to learn? (First... learn).

- I have cheat my friends and win them money with poker (Great for you! Thanks because now I know of who I will never be a friend).

Of course, the "how Blaine levitates?" is the best one Smile

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I don't like people earning posts by posting things like;

this has been discussed before
try the search function

Rannie

If we want to help, might as well go all the way. Otherwise its just blabber.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When you have more than 5000 posts, you aren't posting this to increase your post count, you are posting it because some unenlightened soul didn't try looking first.

A perfect example is the one recently posted in the busking forum, called Permits?

If they had searched using the word permit, they would have found the thread that they have been referred to.

Try searching on "cups and balls" just once. See what you find.

Here's one that, as far as I'm concerned, shows the ultimate in laziness.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......30&1

I googled Yigal Mesika and found the information. I'm not going to post it on the forum. If someone wants the information, he or she can google it as well.

If you count the keystrokes it took the original poster to ask the question and compare it to the 16 keystrokes it would take to google it, this shows not laziness, but a lack of initiative.

I realize that his web site isn't on the first page. It's a bunch of dealers there, but when you find his web site on the second page, it is pretty obvious which one it is.

"You must learn to think for yourselves!" -- Brian
"WE MUST LEARN TO THINK FOR OURSELVES!" -- the crowd -- from Life of Brian
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2005-08-06 23:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-06 15:37, Bill Palmer wrote:...I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.

Persi is smart enough to know the difference between calling it "erdnase" and "Erdnase"=author. For the young...

Young and smart are not necessarily exclusive. (Not that I'm young. Nor would I claim to be smart.)

Most hobbies or professions have their own understood shorthand. And "Erdnase" is often to be used as understood shorthand for "Expert at the Card Table". And, more to the point, that isn't the privilege of some inner coterie of magic. If it's ok for PD to say it, it's ok for me to say it.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
One way to lose respect permanently is to show your hindquarters to the whole forum, leave, come back and leave almost instantly.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Oooo.... very cutting John. And I thought you were a roll model Smile

Mind you it's happened before with the fellow in question, so no real suprises there. I think some people just get more upset/intense over board type things and need longer to chill than others.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
"I got $10 for my birthday, what should I buy?"

"I want the exact same thing I saw McBride do. But I don't want to spend over $50..."

"I need it for a paid show this Saturday"
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Those are typical! Gotta laugh!

Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:16am
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 16:04, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 19:45, ringmaster wrote:...When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.

Agreed Ringmaster. My issue is with those who mistake the obvious non-name for a single real person who wrote the text and who then proceed to make comment about the mindset etc of that person, who may in fact be many people including an editor or two. It would be fun and amusing for all if they were not serious about it. In literary theory this is a case of a text creating its author in the minds of the readership. A feat worthy of Umberto Eco. Again, laudable were it not in the community of magicians who are supposed to be far beyond such things.

Sort of like that one classic episode of "M.A.S.H." about the imaginary Lt. Tuttle? (If you happened to see it.)
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
"I got $10 for my birthday, what should I buy?"

Sounds like a kid wanting to spend his/her new found gain on a wise choice. Why lose respect? I bought Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic for $1 at a second hand store. A set of sponge balls at $4.95. Two decks of Bikes at Wally World for $3. Right there under $10 I got something going. A chance to guide a youngster in the right direction, yes, loss of respect, no.

No disrespect intended.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's a good perspective you are coming from. We all gotta' start somewhere. My first effects purchased were "Color Changing Ball to square" and "Proffesors Nightmare", and a little packet efect involving four queens. Not exactly an auspicious start, but it has led me to this point after twenty or thirty years.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 19:47, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Try this well-worn approach:

"Hi, I'm the GREATEST in the world! I've done more for this art than any man living; YOU know it; I know it! I invented EVERYTHING and did it BETTER than anyone else! You say you invented that effect?!? Come to the convention with your videos and press clippings to prove it, and I'll bring mine to prove you wrong!
I know everything, I never lie and I'm always right! I'm a pro and you're a coackroach whose name I never heard of, you insignificant pleb!
Bow down before me!"

Don't you just love those types?

Steve

Yeah, but Mark gets killed everytime he shows up.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Who's Mark?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL