The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
Before a party starts, place a few coins under different plates at different tables.
This comes in handy for a number of things.
1)Do a vanish and make it appear across table under plate.
2)Melt coin through plate.
3)Etc, etc, etc.
What does everyone think of this?
Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
As long as you remember where they are.

And nobody picks up the plate before you arrive and pockets the coin.

;)
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
sethbek:

Brilliant, just brilliant. You are relying on a spectator's personal situation awareness. They feel comfortable with their surroundings, and they get surprised when a coin appears under the salt shaker they didn't bother to pick up when they sat down.
I have also used "cards" under place mats, door mats, for when you are in the lobby.
Once I put a card in a vase that was semi-transparent. You had to really squint to see it. Added to the effect!

Bascomb
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
I don't think I would really be comfortable with planting things where they're easily spotted.

The vase idea was great, but I don't think I would trust people to not find a card or coin if it were under a salt shaker or anything they could easily get to.

Or, if someone picked it up without saying anything, you could have vanishd a coin, and Its not where you say it should be. That wouldn't be good at all Smile
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
When was the last time that you saw someone move the centerpiece on a table. I think you could load a quarter under the salt shaker after dinner when it is obvious that nobody will be using it.
If you said, "Look under the saltshaker" and it was gone you could just save it by saying something like "boy that would've been cool" then reproduce the one in your hand. Or while they are looking at the salt shaker load it somewhere else. I think it's a great idea.
He who laughs, lasts.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I work with another magician, and while he was performing last week, I planted a card in a woman's coat pocket, while she was selecting a card from my partner. 20 minutes later I used it for a revelation, and it was fantastic.
family/magic/music/life
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
The idea is not new it first appeared as I recollect in The Art of Magic by T Nelson Downs calledFree & Unlimited Coinage of Silver and involved planting the coins in advance.

You might like to check out the Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Lewis Ganson.

Look up Free & Unlimited Coinage of Silver which achieves the same effect - but you don't have to load them before the guests arrive - you won't be disappointed.

MikeM Smile Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5734 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just think that you'd be better off learning how load the coins during the performance. It's better than taking the chance of having the method exposed at the party.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL