The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2005 entrée: J.C. Wagner » » Card Under Glass » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
I'd like to take a moment to say thank you for bringing the miracle that is the "Card Under Glass" to my attention via your first videotape. After learning and working on it for a couple of months - until I had the courage to try it on real people, that is! - I could not believe the response it got from people that I performed it for. Since then, it has become one of my "6 tricks" (harking back to what Vernon said about having 6 tricks...).

I have a question that, even now, I cannot answer to my own satisfaction. When repeating the effect - for those that don't know, the Card Under Glass is one of only a few effects that get stronger with each repetition - what do you do if someone notices the card under the glass before you reveal it? No matter how much tried and tested misdirection you have used, one person sees the card sitting there under the glass just before you are ready to reveal and calls out.

Many thanks once again!

Best wishes

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Hi Peter, Yes, sometimes that will happen. If you think he or she has seen the card or you noticed them looking at the card, I will lean in thier direction and smile at them, put my hand to my lips and jester not to say any thing. This usually will get them not to say anything before I finish revealing the card. If it is the person whom your doing it for, then that is another thing. You may have left early to place thier card under thier drink or you spread the cards to fast or to slow. Maybe your palm flashed or you tipped it when you executed the palm. You'll have to see what you may be doing wrong. Have a friend help you with it. Let him tell you what looks right or wrong when you do it. Try this out, it will help you out in the long run.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You can treat similarly to "Paper Balls Over the Head".
Everyone sees what's happening but they are made to feel as if they're in on the trickery.

When I do it, both actions begin almost at the same time with the deck hand moving faster and focus, patter and body language moving to the deck as it's spread.
Works well.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Great to have you sir, quick question and I now I will come off as a novice but which tape/or DVD could I find your version of card under glass. I usually do the one I learned on Doc Easons video's
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Hi paisa23, I have both the D.V.D's the newest one from my lecture in England two years ago titled: International Magic Presents: The J.C.Wagner lecture. I talk about it for almost 30 min. Plus with the D.V.D you get the new handling of Factory Misprints Packet trick with the cards and all. $35.00 plus shipping & handling. You'll find it at my web-site: jcwagnersmagic.com Check it out, I think you'll like it.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Sounds great but quick question I want the dvd and will order today but I have been stationed in Iceland, are you capable of shipping here ? if so how much would it all be, send me a PM I am at work right now, Airforce.. And thanks for the responce, I feel star struck. JEJEJEJE
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Thanks JC, I really appreciate the words of wisdom.

I am lucky in that, when it happens, it is always your first senario - never the spectator that I am doing the effect for (phew!). My greatest thing achievement with this effect is nailing fellow magicians with it - always great fun to see their faces crumble when I show them where their card is... yet again!

Many thanks once again.

Best wishes

Peter
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Hi Peter, Sounds like your having to much fun with it! Glad your doing it my friend.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
What did Vernon say about "six tricks"?

Don't you mean David Devant?
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Wsduncan, Yes it was David Devant. Whats your point?

J.C.
Check out my magic here.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Bill, I think Vernon had "Six tricks Marlo didn't claim to have invented first." Smile

hope this helps.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Another way to handle the situation when they see the card go under the glass... I quickly palm off another indifferent card ahd while picking up the glass to pick up their card... I load the other card under it... now I try to distance myself from the glass lest they discover it again prematurely. Then, showing them their signed card, I do a top change and have them blow on the card, then reveal that the card is no longer the card they thought was there... gesture toward the glass, (they often scream that there card is there again!)...move the glass and do a top change right under their nose...to show that their card *miraculously* got there again.. this kills them.. yesit requires cajones to do the top change under fire... but it can be done I do it all the time...

JC... you are the man.. .i will always remember the night you sat at the WCF Bar at the Castle and as I was doing my act... I kept saying ... "and that is a JC Wagner idea, too." ...over and over again...you have had a tremendous influence on so many guys ...including my self...nice to see you in the Café...

doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Doc, Thanks for your kind words my friend. You are one of the best in the buiness if not the------. Just kinding. You have learned well and taken your notes my friend. I've enjoyed your Magic and PERSONALITY for years. You are a real trooper. I was glad to help you, with many questions you had way back then, and I'm proud of what you have done to up lift our art of Magic and I'm looking forward to when we get to work again,together behind the PLANK! in Fort Collins this September. See you then Buddy, GTFM!
Check out my magic here.
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Was it David Devant? And I always had it in my head that it was Vernon - suppose I'll need to try and track it down for myself. Whoever said it, at least you get the idea of what I was talking about.

To both JC and, now, the good Doc many many thanks for the information. I'll take it all on board.

Oh, and JC, I'm having a blast doing the Card Under Glass! One of my big disappointments of recent times was having to miss the McMillan Convention that you appeared at. I would have loved to have met you face-to-face. Have you any more plans for coming back to the UK?

Best wishes

Peter
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Peter, Would love to come back. Just waiting for the invotation.

Best,J.C.
Check out my magic here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2005 entrée: J.C. Wagner » » Card Under Glass » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL