The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Flameless Flash? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I was wondering if there were any "pyrotechnic devices" that didn't use fire

ok that didn't sound right but let me explain.

Are there any devices which could cause the same effect as a pyrotechnic device but did not use any flame? For sake of example, a quick flash from a strobe light and then a device that can shoot some sort of powder in the air (that easily dissipates).

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Derek Merdinyan
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Derek,

Yes. Yes there is.

A strobe light with a small puff from a smoke machine looks a heck of a lot like a small explosion if attentively set up.

I'd stay away from powers as they will not only settle all over the floor and make a mess, but it will look like nothing more than a powder in the end. I'd go with lighting and smoke. Smoke catches the light and can be any color you wish it to be.

-Chris.
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
244 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Check out John Cornelius' FISM Flash. Available from most any dealer. It produces a flash from nowhere. Neat effect!
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Is there anywhere where I could see a video of it? (FISM FLASH)

I have heard about that before and people say it's dangerous (considering all fire effects have some degree of risk, this one was more so then others)

I will check it out, but needless to say, is it true that it is dangerous?

Derek Merdinyan
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Derek,

It's not a video, but here is a link to the product:

http://www.johncornelius.com/magic.html#fism

John told me a while back that he was not producing them anymore. I guess he must have changed his mind!

Lyndel
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
380 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
I have been using the FISM Flash for quite some time now and I have found it to be completely safe. There is no ignition and as this is not a fire effect it is great to do almost anywhere. It can go a long way towards making your magic look more like movie magic.

It helps to wear a white shirt.
"Challenge Your Reality"
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I once saw Cornelius' FISM Flash and said WOW! Performer had us inspect a new out of packet flash cube. He sealed it in a clear plastic bag and talked about transmitting our mental energy at the cube. With all of us starring at the cube in bag, suddenly the flash cube flashed! Very bright and impactful. Cube was passed out for inspection and one side was burned. In this age of digital cams, some of the younger ones may not even know what a flash cube looks like but that was my introduction to the effect.

According to the Cornelius site, he has a limited number of them available again.

This item has so many other applications calling for a sudden flash.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
There is a very similar device to FISM flash, created by Steve Johnson, that might even be superior (Just going by what I read somewhere) called "Flash Burst".

It's triggered by a small, soft pressure switch that be inserted in your shoe or sock, with the wire running hidden up your pant leg. The main housing clips on your belt, and has a safety switch so that it doesn't go off by accident, but only when you want it to. The flash itself can be placed anywhere within 2 feet of the main housing.
It even has an option for various colors, using filters.
I have it and I think it's really neat.
Hank Lee's, The Magic Depot, Hocus-Pocus, and The Magic Warehouse all sell it, for around $65 I think.
Do a google search exactly like this:
"Flash Burst" magic
It's certainly not dangerous so long as you don't open the main housing (which you should never have to do) and touch the leads on the capacitor while it's charged. Even then it's not lethal or anything.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-08-03 00:14, DerekMerdinyan wrote:
Is there anywhere where I could see a video of it? (FISM FLASH)

I have heard about that before and people say it's dangerous (considering all fire effects have some degree of risk, this one was more so then others)

I will check it out, but needless to say, is it true that it is dangerous?

Derek Merdinyan

Derek,

Think of it as a photo strobe flash. There is heat but no flame. I do sometimes use the FISM Flash. I don't see it as better than a real flash pot but there are so many places now that will not allow you to use your flash pots. About twenty years ago I quit using a real pistol on stage too. The USA is getting pretty wimpy about that type of thing.

Lucy and I have also used bubbles instead of flash and smoke. (No sharp edges for dull audiences!)

There is one benefit to the photo strobe. We have "slave" strobes that also fire at the same time to give more light. It is still no match for flash pots. But it may be the best allowed by the house.

Good Luck!

If you need some custom work on props of this type, contact "Ricker" here on The Magic Café.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kcedelcycib
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of kcedelcycib
Quote:
On 2005-08-03 00:14, DerekMerdinyan wrote:

is it true that it is dangerous?

Not normally. There's a risk of fire and/or electric shock if the wires are damaged. I wouldn't use in rainy or drizzly weather.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 12:18, Mystician wrote:
There is a very similar device to FISM flash, created by Steve Johnson, called "Flash Burst".

Thanks for that reference Mystician. Do you know what the reset time is like on "Flash Burst"? I need 3 flashes to go off around four or five seconds apart - timing not entirely crucial but wouldn't want to wait more than than between flashes. Thanks!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I just timed it, it takes just over a second for mine to reflash, so , I think it would handle your needs no problem.
Tip: Make sure you use fresh batteries though, and alkalines at that - not "heavy duty", which are better suited for slow, long life usage, they don't deliver max power on demand the way that alkalines do.
The only thing I use heavy duty batteries for are home smoke alarms or remote controls; for all regular electronics, toys, magic, etc.. I use alkalines. It makes a big difference.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
This is just great. I'm glad you mentioned this by Steve Johnson. I'll order one for sure. Thanks!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mystician,

Thanks for the great information. I'll give it shot.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I could not view your website. Batteries? LOL
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Flameless Flash? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL