The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has Michael Ammar Popularized OR Overexposed Card Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
136 Posts

Profile of marcjh
I think that Mr. Ammar has done a great service to the magical community. For me the greatest part of the ETMCM series was that it allowed me to see some classic plots that I had only heard of and never had seen. I had been involved in magic for many years prior to the series and had never seen a performance of tricks like the Cannibal Kings or the Gambler versus the Magician. What a terrific learning experience it was to see these effects. The alternative before this, all too often, was to spend hours in a filthy magic shop, where you would get berated by a fat, foul smelling con-man magician who performed an effect with no charm or personality. (And trust me, I had been there all too often.) Yes there were conventions or clubs, but in my experience, people were very tight with showing effects— and getting explanation or reference was often impossible.
I certainly understand one gripe-- that the ETMCM series “gave away” a number of effects that some of us had spent a lot of money learning. (For example, I had paid $7.00 for the write up of card warp, and that was in 1985 dollars.) But really, what a bargain for the newcomer.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 13:52, marcjh wrote:
The alternative before this, all too often, was to spend hours in a filthy magic shop, where you would get berated by a fat, foul smelling con-man magician who performed an effect with no charm or personality. (And trust me, I had been there all too often.)

Ouch! I'm surprised you managed to make it through those foul smelling times. Smile
You certainly paint a vivid picture. I'm glad my local magic shop is a friendly place to visit.

Take care,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
If you guys think that Ammar has over popularized magic, you need to go back and read some back issues of the Sphinx, Phoenix and Chap's Scrapbook - or even The Bat.

The gripes about magicians only doing the same 12 tricks has been going on for almost 100 years now. The 6-card repeat was called the "6-card repeated and repeated and repeated" by Bruce Elliot and others and it was very common to have shows in the 30's and 40's where you would have 6 acts and 3 sawings, 4 linking ring routings, 5 c&r ropes and at least 2 snowstorms.

This isn't new and it isn't Michael Ammar's doing, he's just convenient.

Watch the next TV magic special or go to the next "big name" magic lecture. Then go to the next magic club meeting and count the number of people who are doing stuff from those sources.

Do I need to say more?

Just my 2 kopek's worth. Personal opinion only, too.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
M Ammar did a real great job with his ETMCM series. As D Vernon did or P Harris with AoA and many, many more. It certainly popularized card magic amongst the magic community. His DVD set is very boring and quite unuseful for a non magician. The exposure of classic tricks let the magicians work and practice and perhaps will help everyone to create, refine or invent new ones ...
Smile Smile Smile
DustyDave
View Profile
New user
Santa Fe, New Mexico
44 Posts

Profile of DustyDave
Howdy, all

When I read this thread I just had to laugh. An observation in the original post says" I'm starting to think he (Michael Ammar) has overexposed card magic"

To Whom?

I grew up in West Texas, and have lived in New Mexico for most of my career. I have a very public job where I meet hundreds of people a week. I am very curious about people's occupations and hobbies, and if I have time, I ask them about this. I have yet to have anyone tell me that they are a Magician- by occupation or by hobby.

In all my years, I have never had anyone show me a card trick-not even an amateur magician uncle.

There is not a single magic store or magic club in the entire state of New Mexico (that I have been able to find).

I have been eating out in restaurants at least once a week for over 40 years and have yet to see anyone performing magic at a dining table.

I talk about magic with my friends ( they know it's my hobby), and *maybe* they know who David Copperfield is, or "Wasn't there a guy on TV with a mask that showed how magic tricks worked?"

I can perform any number of card tricks-no matter how overexposed elsewhere-and no one will have seen it before.

Since I don't have any of the above-mentioned resources to learn about magic, I rely on books and DVD's by Michael Ammar and others for my magical education. I am extremely grateful for these resources.

One of the reasons I am laughing when I read this thread is that I realize that I am sitting on a "gold mine" of untapped, unjaded audiences.

"Overexposed?" I guess I have a big job ahead of me to get it done!

Thanks,
Dusty Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Has Michael Ammar Popularized OR Overexposed Card Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL