The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Star Gazer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
Does anyone know if their is any sleights to do this? if so, is it hard?

Thanks

Buy & Sell Used Magic
Magic & Illusion Classifieds
http://www.magicities.com/oceanline
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
There are no sleights to this effect and it is pretty easy too. You can do a CMH first followed by Stargazer.
Bernard Sim
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I purchased this trick about a year ago, looked at the directions and put it away. Once the bands are broke thats the end of this effect.....

-vinny-
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
My understanding was that replacement bands could be ordered relatively inexpensively. The trick has a strong enough effect, in my opinion, that replenishing the bands once in a while would be worth it.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
This is a nicelittle effect if preceded with another effect such as penetrating bands. I think you almost have to give the bands out at the end. I have found that when I preform this that if I don't give out the band it doesn't have as strong an effect.
The replacement bands are as I recall about $7 for a dozen. I have tried to find a way to make them myself but have had little luck.
He who laughs, lasts.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ed ,thats my point when the bands are gone so is the trick.if you were able to make the bands then it would be a nice little effect./
therefore I put this trick away
vinny
Come check out my magic.

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
It is a fact of life that a band can break; They do have a shelf life, but don't let that discourage you. With almost all magic effects, there is a good chance of embarrasement on our part. Carry an extra band, and just start over. Most laymen would not give it a second thought. (Unless they ask you to restore the broken band.) This is a great effect and always gets a strong reaction for very little work. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Joseph, I have never had a band break. Not once, never,never,never. The reason is because I only use the rubberband 1 time. I do the effect once and had the star shaped band out as a gift. Vins point is that this gets to be a little bit expensive, because you need to buy replacements at about 75 cents a piece. This is why I only do this little ditty for kids and only once in a while at that.
Vin if you can figure out how to make the bands I and I know An Octopus would love to know how. I have bought about 40 packages of the repalcements already. I would love to be able to get them in non colored version.
He who laughs, lasts.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Ed. Thats the point I was trying to make. for example " the three card trick " by Patrick Page uses a gaff . I found a way to duplicate this gaff . and its a wonderful effect, However If I could not make this gaff I would never do this effect again,,I alway try to do an effect with out usinging a gimmick..
"Strar Gazer " is a nice effect I wll try to make a gimmick or do this effect without a gimmick If I come with a solution I will contact you.
thanks vinny
Come check out my magic.

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
If you are getting paid to do shows, I think 75 cents is reasonable for the impact the trick has for the effect; however, I am cost conscious also, and would like to know how they make the star, and if I find out, I will let you guys know. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Joseph you are correct 75 cents is a small price to pay and I have paid it many times. My reason for wanting to make my own is not really the price but teh color. I would prefer the bands be in the normal beige color that all my other rubberbands I use are. The bright blue band just screams gimmick.
He who laughs, lasts.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I agree, Ed; The color is ok for children, but an adult would probably wonder about the colored band, even if you give it to them to keep.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I've never had a band break, and I get around the colour by using office rubber bands for my "straight" bands, since they come in red, blue, yellow and white anyway. I pull a handful of multi-coloured bands out and "select" two, making sure one is the colour of the star band I am going to sub in for it. People never find the colour odd after that, and if they ask I tell them I use bright colours so they are easier to see.

I've never been able to find a way to make more of these, and don't know where to order more (if someone could post that I would appreciate it). It's hard not giving them away now that I am down to my last two or three - everyone I have done this for loves it.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Hank Lee website has the extra bands. Smile
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Hi

I've never had a problem with the different
colors. Show CMH with your normal beige color rubberbands. Give them to the spectators for trying themself. Show it one more time, using different color rubberbands now, giving spectators a better chance to follow your acts, after showing CMH go direct into Stargazer..at the end they will
be totally baffled.
Stargazer has a great climax ending for each performer of rubberband magic

Here's a great clip of stargazer:

Stargazer - the clip:

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/videos/stargazer_hires.avi

Magic Chris
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
I've only ever bought one pack of Stargazer bands and I've still got 2 left after hundreds of performances but Idon't generally give them away as I don't find the spectator expecting that.
As far as the question of colours is concerned I prefer the star to be brightly coloured as it stands out better and IMHO makes for a more dramatic presentation.
The moves are not that easy to learn from the fairly crude instructions but they don't involve any sleights-just elastic band manipulation. If you've ever done cat's cradle type moves with string or elastic you'll find this a cinch.
Bill Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I really like this effect. Bands can be purchased through internet (non-magic) discount vendors for pennies. I like to use a star and a square band. I also do the effect with animal shaped bands, music shaped bands, heart shaped bands, etc. While it is nice to end with a star, there are other possibilities. I buy them for just a few pennies each and give them away.

It is also a lot of fun to make linked bands. They are easily made with a sharp razor knife and a tiny amount of superglue. This is particularly fun when doing the demonstration with a heart, doing a different demonstration with another heart, and then linking the two hearts together. You can get heart shaped bands that come in an assortment of colors, so the first one can be red but the second one can be a different color and then the linked bands are made to match the two. A nice routine is crazy man's handcuffs followed by stargazer, followed by linking rings. I like to tell a story of my crazy uncle when he was younger and in love with a young movie starlett. Even though he ended up in big house, his heart was always linked to hers.

The thing I don't care for is I wish Mark would just go through the explanation of the routine from start to finish. He has a habit of stopping after a few moves and re-explaining all the moves. It makes it more difficult to follow along and to just get it down once you are somewhat comfortable with it. I understand he is trying to be thorough and not get criticizm for going too fast, but perhaps he could run through a complete explanation and then break it down more slowly.

KJ.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I remember someone here a few years ago that would sell them in Bulk. Anyone still have any information on this?
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I did this all the time in the past.

But the shaped band craze from a few years back I think dimminished the great ending of this effect.

Still a very good trick just not as powerful since everyone has seen a shaped rubber band.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Magicman you have a point. IM GONNA BRING IT BACK!!! lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Star Gazer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL