The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My First Book Purchase!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Have any of you ever hear od this book...............................
Card And Magic Tricks - Over 30 easy to perform stunts to amaze and confound by Eve Devereux and Peter Eldin.

I found it for sale in one of the most strangest places you would ever think....the local grocery store. I wasn't even looking for magic books, I was there buying food.

It is my VERY FIRST magic book (an actual book, not a pdf) that I have ever bought, and it only cost me $7.49 USD. I am so excited about it!!!!

Have any of you ever heard of it? Your thoughts on it, please?
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Yeah I have seen it at a bookstore..the materials are very basic and pretty good I guess..basically for begginers but its a good way to start..the effects are mostly easy and self working so you will have good time..great way to start..dont underestimate the easy self working tricks..they are my favourites and sometimes very powerfull!perfrormed correctly of course!have fun!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Hm, Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is 14 on Amazon, and in my eyes a much, much, much better investment for a beginner....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
mikerobinson
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mikerobinson
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 08:58, calexa wrote:
Hm, Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is 14 on Amazon, and in my eyes a much, much, much better investment for a beginner....

Magixx

I second that motion. Afterall, two posts are more effective than one! Smile

Mike.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Yup..wilson course is a better buy!!of course!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
If you are interested in card magic, Royal Road to Card Magic is also a very good first book. It starts at the basics, and walks you through all the way to more difficult sleights like palming and passes. There are some good self-working tricks in rrtcm as well.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Like Landon said, If you are going for Cards, Royal ROad to Card Magic is the cardicians Bible. Some of the wording in it is hard to follow at first, but that is because of when it was written.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
You cant go wrong with Mark Wilsons complete course in magic
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Brillus
View Profile
New user
Italy
73 Posts

Profile of Brillus
Card college is also a good point to start for a beginner in card magic.
Not so cheap but well worth completely.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I think any first book is a find. Be glad you've got it. Look for a few tricks that catch your fancy and make them into miracles. Then after you've had many years doing magic, your library is bursting at the seams and are quite savvy, look at that book again - you'll find a few more gems you passed by the first time. Congrats! and well done. Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
David Gardener
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, New Zealand
53 Posts

Profile of David Gardener
If you are a beginner I too would recommend Mark WILSONS book, its got lots of illustrations and really is very practical and clear.
Great for future reference.

Good luck, may your first book be one of many.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Every suggestion for your NEXT book given above is a good one. Right now, you have a great beginning. You should be pleased to get started! Be prepared for little joys and big frustrations as you attempt to master "simple" tricks!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Anyone mention Mark Wilson's book? :o)
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It kind of disturbs me that almost to a person, no one acknowldged "The Rock's" choice of book. He was obviously excited about it, it was after all his first. Instead of telling him well done, everyone told him he soould have bought this book or that book. I've kept checking back to see if he had anything to say but to no avail.

Remember this is a new guy, not a young guy, but new to magic and with, if I remember some of his past posts, with some sort of handicap. I think he was treated shabily. I checked today to see if I could PM him and found he has made no posts in the past 30 days.

So much for New to Magic.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
91 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
Great post Frank! I also am a new guy and certainly not young - well 41's not that old... Smile and have often been intimidated to post because of the silly yet human fear of asking amaturish questions.

That said, I'd like to second your point that any book can provide you with gems and is a great start. Personally I did some research before buying my first books and of course bought the Wilson book and Bill Tarr's Vols 1-2. I even bought the recent John Bannon book and while over my head (can you say Faro Weave?)it has some great stuff that I can do and gave me a glimpse of where I someday may go.

However, in a recent trip to the library with my 6 year old, I stumbled upon a Peter Eldin book in the children's section. It wasn't the book that TheRock purchased, it was The Magic Handbook. But what a great book! A small, tattered, somewhat dated book but yet it contained the Professor's Nightmare, Out of This World, and many other notable classics!!

The grocery store, the library, used book stores, rummage sales, who cares? Obviously there are books that are more voluminous and are agreed upon classics. But as Frank mentioned a start is a start and how many tricks do you need in your repetoire anyway? I'm sure the Eldin book has more than enough to get you going and to wet your appetite!

Rock - Best of luck and let us know where your first purchase takes you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My First Book Purchase!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL