The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Blaine > Angel OR Angel > Blaine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Who did you enjoy more one T.V., Blaine or Angel?

Do you think Blaine is better than Angel OR is Angel better than Blaine?

~L2L
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I think that's a tough one to answer. There things I like better about each of them. I like Blaine's focus on the quick hitting visual magic and the attention he puts on audience reactions. I like Criss Angel's character, not because of what it is but because it's unique and original. If I absolutely HAD to pick, I think I would lean towards Criss only because I do like his character as it seems a little more developed, and I like the fact that Criss also does more "big" illusions, which adds an extra dimension to the street magic and stunts. But for the record I like and respect them both a lot.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 02:45, the levitator wrote:
I think that's a tough one to answer. There things I like better about each of them. I like Blaine's focus on the quick hitting visual magic and the attention he puts on audience reactions. I like Criss Angel's character, not because of what it is but because it's unique and original. If I absolutely HAD to pick, I think I would lean towards Criss only because I do like his character as it seems a little more developed, and I like the fact that Criss also does more "big" illusions, which adds an extra dimension to the street magic and stunts. But for the record I like and respect them both a lot.

Very well stated, I completely agree with your reply.

I guess the only thing I can add is.... "I second that!" Smile

Take care,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
I could never say one is better than the other. I love watching all magic on TV. If you put a gun to my head, I'd prefer watching David Blaine because I find him more engaging.

I will disagree with the above comments in this respect: I think Blaine's character is flawlessly developed, and I believe his character and presentation is exactly why he's top dog on television. I think Blaine's character is so flawlessly developed and perfected that he can get a major network deal without ever performing in live shows. His patter, attitude, actions, and choice of effects are seamless. The entire world has a sense for Blaine's character, we know him, and he appears absolutely genuine. He's mysterious without being scarey or off-putting and this gives him a really wide appeal.

When new magicians learn that Blaine has become a success with relatively simple, "store-bought" effects, they often question how Blaine became so successful. I think it's misleading to suggest Blaine became successful simply because he's good at promoting himself. The truth, I think, is that character and presentation are most important in magic, and Blaine has carved out both perfectly for himself. People are engaged by his personality. And it's unique. Blaine's character should be studied for why it works. His effects are always perfectly matched to this image he's created for himself. When those two things match perfectly, there is a sense of "real" or "actual magic" that you don't get when people are picking magic that doesn't fit their personality.

That's what I think, anyway.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
That's a good perspective Verno! I do like David's character, but I guess being a rocker myself Criss just appeals to me slightly more. I do like the naturalness of David's character better though. I think that they are both excellent at effect selection too! Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 12:33, Verno Inferno wrote:
I think it's misleading to suggest Blaine became successful simply because he's good at promoting himself. The truth, I think, is that character and presentation are most important in magic, and Blaine has carved out both perfectly for himself. People are engaged by his personality. And it's unique. Blaine's character should be studied for why it works. His effects are always perfectly matched to this image he's created for himself. When those two things match perfectly, there is a sense of "real" or "actual magic" that you don't get when people are picking magic that doesn't fit their personality.

Excellent thoughts Verno Inferno!!! After reading your reply I thought more about how Blaine's personality fits his effects. I am now feeling that all of Blaine's effects are in line with his personality. Criss Angel on the other hand mixes it up a bit too much. I thought Criss was out of character when he was performing the card effect on the bus. It just didn't seem right. However, this would have been a perfect effect for David Blaine. Criss Angel's personality and character matches his mind blowing stunts perfectly. When I think Criss Angel I envision him being hung from a helicopter by hooks, high levitations, being lit on fire, and tolerating pain with his mind. More of the daring cutting edge stuff. When I think David Blaine I think more raw type of magic effects with common props such as cards. David in a natural setting just walking the streets and fooling people with slow visual effects. Overall I enjoy the magic of both Criss and David. It is nice having magic on T.V.

Take care,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I honestly enjoy both of them.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
geminijg
View Profile
New user
Corpus Christi
13 Posts

Profile of geminijg
I enjoy them both but I am sick of Criss calling out magicians and I like Blaines character better...on tv and south park!
But for the record, both of them are amazing and do great things for magic.
Gemmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Blaine > Angel OR Angel > Blaine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL