The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Floating cigarette on stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vict46
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of vict46
Hi guys
I'm gonna be performing Fearson's floating cigarette on stage(except with a kazoo). Have you got any tips on keeping the IT invisible to the audience. I have limited control over the lighting. But I know the background will be black. How about music? What type of music should I have playing, if any?

Thanks
Victor
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Kevlar for the IT striped in with different markers to break up a solid l***
For Stage ample lighting for the Background (Not Black which sounds like the opposite)
A good resource for this is Losander's "the Art of Levitation" DVD where he covers the back lighting.

If I remember Fearsons F C uses body h*** *P so the stage is not as important as what you wear.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
vict46
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of vict46
Sorry glodmagic, I'm a bit confused. SHould I be wearing dark clothing and bright background?
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
On STAGE?

Okkkkk

Well firstly the thread will need to be VERY strong.

Secondly you will have to really work on your body positioning (assuming you are using the body hookup).

Remember that when you perform the floating cigarette close up, your spectators are consumed in the effect and will not notice you leaning forward a bit and swaying to control the motion.

However on stage the audience has an 'all over' view of you and these things will become very obvious!

Gary
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Vict46,

The LAST thing I would worry about is the thread being seen. You're on stage, presumably a distance from audience. If you doing a dancing hank, floating lightbulb or floating ball, then I would certainly consider the background and lighting. However, for the Fearson floating *whatever* I would be more concerned with what you wear so that the floating object SHOWS up against you at that distance. I'm sure a kazoo is not too heavy, I've used a fake rose (plastic covered wire steam, cloth petals kind) and it was plenty strong.

Good luck,

John
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
You will really need some one to spot for you at the actual venue so you can set the lights. Usually you wiil want lights to hit you from the front and not the back. Back lights usually expose the I.T.

I think the kazoo is a great idea. The routine usually does not last very long, a minute at the most. Maybe you start by playing a toon on the kazoo and some other music comes in, like more kazoos. Flight of the bumble bee comes to mind but on the kazoo. You balance the kazoo on your tongue, and then your finger, float it from hand to hand, then to the floor and all the way back up to you mouth...

Wow that's ounds like a great routine idea... I wish I thought of a kazoo...

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Why does the IT have to be very strong? It's only a cigarette.
Also, do not color or stripe your IT, this causes the IT to more than double in size...keep it black.
mtso2000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mtso2000
The only thing I am careful about with thread is the lighting. I make sure that I am not directly in bright light.
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
383 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
As far as music goes I love the acoustic version of "Days go by" by Dirty Vegas. You may remember "Days go by" from the clubs for a while and from the popular Mazda commercial. The acoustic version is the perfect length for my routine and the lyrics fit the "angst of being unable to smoke/ trying to quit" rather well.

I made up a "No Smoking" Sign where the "No" vanishes. After I light up I pretend to just notice the sign. I blow a puff of smoke at it and the "No" vanishes. The smokers in the audience go wild Smile
"Challenge Your Reality"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Floating cigarette on stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL