The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Solution of Three Men Puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Heres my solution of three men puzzle.

The message is done through two letters. the wife and deaf man is used to pass on the message but witout knowing them what the letters mean.

Here goes……

The letters are sent in two parts. If a man reads the 1st letter it just reads like a friendly everyday letter with some genral statements like hi hello or hows your wife. The 2nd letter is also genral. BUT both these letters contain some clues that can only be understood when BOTH letters are read.

When the wife reads the letter to blind, she does not suspect anything because she haven’t seen the 2nd letter. Just like that the deaf will not suspect anything because he has not seen the 1st letter.

Here is my idea of the basic contents in both the lettters.

First Letter >> Wife reads this letter.

Some Hi Hello and the basic friendly coments.

I wanted to play a game of Solitaire and opened up the pack of cards. I found two card missing in the deck. the missing cards were Queen of Hearts and king of hearts. I looked all over the place and then found them lying on the bed. my face turned red as both the card were stuck together in a strange manner.

Your well wisher
(mute)

2nd Letter > After few days the deaf man reads this letter.

Basic Hi Hello.

Asks him to remember what he wrote in the last letter.

Then he says

YOUR WIFE IS QUEEN OF HEARTS AND OUR FRIEND (DEAF) IS THE KING OF HEARTS.

Your well wisher
(mute)

I could not find more direct words that can be used for these letters. anyone to improwise what the content of the letters should be in this two part message ??

:kewl:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Okay, what is the wife supposed to do when she gets that letter?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Nothing, just read it to the blind. (he cant read remember ? )

Can be left at home of given hand to hand with a request she reads the letter right away. I did say there is no OUTSIDE party to helpout the mute man.

He can use the wife and deaf man to pass the message on.

HOW ? is the question becouse they are the people who don't want the blind to know the dirty secret. they will never read the letters if the mute man describes the whole issue in black & white.

SIMPLE.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Why doesn't he pay the mailman or send a Western Union Telegram.
It could read...
"Your Wife and the Deaf guy are having an affair."
No room for misinterpetation.

Just a thought.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Lambertmoon,

I've said it before.

NO OUTSIDE PARTY HELP HERE.

You can use ALL four people in this. (deaf, dump, blind and wife)

This is the only solution I could come up. the other one is bit complicated and its like hit or miss.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 13:53, Mehtas wrote:
Heres my solution of three men puzzle.

2nd Letter > After few days the deaf man reads this letter.

Asks him to remember what he wrote in the last letter.

YOUR WIFE IS QUEEN OF HEARTS AND OUR FRIEND (DEAF) IS THE KING OF HEARTS.

Your well wisher
(mute)

Why would the deaf guy read that? Or any other combination of an implicating connotation.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Lambertmoon,

The dumb guy cant speak that's why the deaf as a friend will read it for him. this is not a secret message letter. its just an everyday letter we write to our friends but it is wrtten in such a way that the blind man will get his message what the dumb(mute) man wants him to know.

if YOU or anyone can better/improve the solution, please do.

Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Maybe a one letter solution ??

Jonathan did say the message could be "indirect" but how does he do it so the person who reads the letter does not get the idea and the person listening gets it right away. Remember we are using people who will never read a letter about their afair.

that's why you have to do this crazy two part letter Smile

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-04 14:32, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Okay, what is the wife supposed to do when she gets that letter?

Let's try that again, pretend your wife got such a letter. What would she do?
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
How about..

Greetings and salutations my blind friend,

While you were out of town and away from your wife, I went to see the movie, "Unfaithful". I asked our deaf friend and your wife, but they were both busy.
I finally finished reading "The Scarlett Letter" and loved it. Your wife should get a big "A" for taking care of things while you were gone.

I bought a CD of Squeeze and love that song "Tempted by the fruit of another"
you should check it out.

Your friend,

The mute
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I've Pmed you Jonathan.

Lambertmoon,

your idea is good but for that the dumb man has to really ask them out for a movie first and they HAVE to say NO.

What if they say YES ?? In that case the dumb man would be cought in a lie.

Do you get the point ??

Is there an easier way to prove that they were both together at blind mans home.

Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
Don't you think that your solution requires unnaturally stupid people? If I was having an affair with the wife of a friend, I would not read him a letter that said

"Remember that letter I sent you before? YOUR WIFE IS QUEEN OF HEARTS AND OUR FRIEND (DEAF) IS THE KING OF HEARTS. "

Why not just use a speach synthisizer?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 22:11, Sapient wrote:
Don't you think that your solution requires unnaturally stupid people? If I was having an affair with the wife of a friend, I would not read him a letter that said

"Remember that letter I sent you before? YOUR WIFE IS QUEEN OF HEARTS AND OUR FRIEND (DEAF) IS THE KING OF HEARTS."

Yes but the person who reads that letter havent seen the first one. how would he be able to pick up who is the king and who is the queen ?? he havent even seen the mention of king and queen together.

Maybe the mention of "YOUR WIFE AND DEAF" could give the game away but Im sure the 2nd letter could be written in even more suttle manner. I am sure with proper wording nobody would able to pick up what ONE letter is ment to be unless he or she reads BOTH the letters.

Do you have a PROPER solution in mind ??

TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Maybe write a letter along the lines of "Arm, Sofa, King, We, Todd, Dead" which is very hard for the reader to understand but the blind man would hear it clearly. Can we compose such a message? Something like:

Ice, Lept, Width, etc...

/Tomas
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Yes Tomas,

The contents could be ANYTHING provided the message does not look like aparent "coded message"

Should be something simple. the words we speak and use everyday.

Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
How about leaving a hearing aid and a used condom in the blind man's drawer?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-08-05 06:59, Mehtas wrote:...Yes but the person who reads that letter havent ...

yes but, no but, yes but you can't trust the wife to start with and anyway the mute guy is probably jealous cause he's not married, right?
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 06:59, Mehtas wrote:

Do you have a PROPER solution in mind ??

He did - he mentioned the use of a speech synthesizer, or in the previous thread, something as simple as a speak & spell.

It seems that you are looking for a clever solution where a simple one exists.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Mushu,

We are not using a high grade technology here. A tape recorder can be used but once again he needs those two people to put words in. he can even cut tapes out from old movie songs and put together a full message and play the tape.

I guess the Speech Synthesizer is a solution to this problem but that is solved thru technology and not the brains.

PS > I did say in my original post. there might be more than one solution to this problem Smile

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

The only part of the problem that bothers me is what the expected outcome of informing the blind guy would be. There is the puzzle. He might be offended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Solution of Three Men Puzzle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL