The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » A hat problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Quote:
On 2005-08-05 17:08, TomasB wrote:

Are these the restrictions?

1. They just decide on a strategy but make no observations or counts before the meeting.

2. They can only observe the gnomes that arrived before them to the meeting and make their decisions from that.

3. Once in position you are not allowed to move around.

Stephen,

I didn't think Tomas's #3 was called for in this problem.
Did you intend it to be one of the restrictions?
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Stan,

I like your sorting procedure to get a line divided in color. When I re-read the problem I see that it is actually a solution since it doesn't say that there need to be a separation between the groups. So you can do your procedure left and right instead of front and back and they will be sorted as they arrive.

You da man, as usual. Smile

/Tomas
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
"Da Man" has it!

There is nothing to restrict anybody from moving about, so Stan's solution is valid. The only thing is (and it is a minor niggle) how "side" is defined. Stan's solution splits them front and back, and the head gnome wanted them each side. However, I don't think the Head Gnome will be too fussed about that minor detail Smile

Anyway, that was the solution I was after - are there any other methods of sorting you good people can come up with?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
*coughs* Since they are allowed to move around I think both the Odd/Even count and the time consuming version works. They can then start the sorting and observations once at the meeting. Both procedures are definitely overkill for this problem though.

/Tomas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » A hat problem (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL