We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of the DVD "Art Of Costume Change" By Yuji Yasuda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
I was very curious when I first saw an ad for Mr. Yasuda's DVD, and I ordered it immediately. This is something that is my line of work as I am a quick change artist myself. I have learnt the Art of quick change and transformation from well known quick change artists from Russia and I was trained under their supervision. I'm always happy to learn new things in this delicate Art.

Although the postman who delivered the DVD woke me up after only 1 hour of sleep (I came home that morning from a gig in remote part of my country, so I travelled all night), I immediately made myself a cup of coffee and played it.

The Art of quick change is actually a very wide area of magic (or very broad as an Art of its own), and not too much has been published on this issue. Therefore and also due to the fact that costumes are a very specific thing to work with (they can not be standardized in any way because of the different body anatomy of different performers, different fashion styles, different requirements of the acts of various performers, etc.). That's why every performer that works with costume changes has to add some of his/hers own creativity to the more or less standard methods and that's why this Art is so broad.

Yuji Yasuda has added a lot of his own creativity to the costume change sequence that he has created. As he stated in the interview after the explanations section, he has seen a lot of quick change artists and without knowing their secrets and also not wanting to copy their methods, he created his own way of accomplishing it.

Well, I have to say that he managed to find a very effective, but yet very easy way to accomplish the dress changes of his assistants. Some of his ideas are really nice and very simple. In this sense, this is something really good for beginners who would like to add some dress changes to acts.

The way he explains everything is very clear and simple and leaves no dilemmas. You will clearly see everything, how to prepare the costumes, how they should be put on, etc. I must say that he managed to transfer all the information in relatively short time, without any unnecessary blah blahs (that are so common on many magic DVDs nowadays). In other words - a brilliant Japanese minimalist style.

On the other hand side, I must say, that Yasuda's methods are quite different from the ones that famous quick change artists from Russian school use (The Sudarchikows, Monastyrskaya, Minasows, Sos & Viktorya Petrosyan, David & Dania). Some things are of course similar, but many things are different. But at the end - the outcome is the same - the dresses do change sometimes very visually and without any cover and the changes are quick.

With Yasuda's methods, the good thing is that he has managed to simplify some otherwise very compicated things about the dresses (his tear away methods are much simplier than the ones we originally use, his "belt" idea also simplifies some things, etc.).

The drawback is that using his methods, the costumes can't be made in such way that they look very natural and elegant (actually his assistants look quite "baggy" wearing them), and also some of the changes can't be done so elegantly and smoothly as when using the Russian methods. With Russian methods the changes can be accomplished without perormer's or the assistant's hands being anywhere near the costumes before or during the change, the costumes can be made to look just perfectly natural, and they can withstand a lot more of movement of the performers wearing them. With Yasuda's method's you can't get some of these features. I personally didn't like the design of his costumes very much (the design plays a huge role in construction of the transformation costumes - just as it is the case with illusions - you can hide many things if you use an appropriate design).

On the other hand side, please do not misunderstand me, I'm not saying that the DVD is bad. As I previously said, it can be a very good source of information for a beginner in this area, but the pros in the Art of costume changes will also be able to learn something or at least, they will get inspired to experiment. Some of his ideas are really grat and I will try to implement them on the costumes that we use.

I also loved Mr. Yasuda's performance style and the choice of effects to accompany the costume transformations.

On the scale from 1-10 I give this DVD a 7.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=6989

Now you get the best of both worlds! A bargain combo full of outstanding information!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
There is a BIG DRAWBACK of this DVD.
I wonder why no one mention this drawback.

This DVD is only for WOMEN'S COSTUME. The method is only for women assitant. I repeat again ONLY FOR WOMEN NOT MAN.

If I know this DVD just teach the method for women I will save my money on that.

Very DISSAPOINTED

Hengky
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Yeah, you're right (although some ads for the DVD did mention the "dresses"). I simply didn't pay attention to that due to the fact that my assistant and I work both whith ladies' and gents' costumes, so any new information available on the market is interesting for us.

On the other hand side if you want to learn something about male costumes and techinques of quick change for men, you should get a book "Quickchange" by Sven Schoppenhauer & a group of authors, this book is very good and will provide you a detailed step by step guide to male costume changes. I have posted the review of this book somewhere in this section.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
As Diamond pointed out the book "Quick Change" explains fifteen methods of fastenings which can be applied to either male or female costumes (in the book the examples are concentrated on male costumes).

There are also other "stand alone" effects explained which can be made with little effort, but have a great impact.

The Yasuda DVD and the book "Quick Change" are available together as a package with $15.00 discount.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=6989

Alternatively the book "Quick Change" is available from most dealers.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
I could not imagin how does Yasuda produces bottles from cylinders? is it a dealer product or is there any book or vedio for referance
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review of the DVD "Art Of Costume Change" By Yuji Yasuda (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL