The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Did I discover this............ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
I was playing around with a deck of cards today, I was really, really board. So I decided I would practice a magic trick on my wife. So I asked my wife to watch as I took the deck face down into my left hand as I took the top card off of the deck (a 3 of diamonds) and showed it to my wife, but at the last minute I decided not to do the trick (I was just too board to do the trick).

So I told her to just forget about the trick, as I didn't feel like doing it I really didn't. I asked her to take the cards and put them up. As she was reaching for the cards in my left hand, I still had the top card in my right hand and was sticking it into the deck (I think it was going in about the middle of it and it was face down).

But before I could get it all the way in, she grabbed the deck out of my hands. The top card was still sticking out the front about half way. She thought I was still doing the trick even after I had said I was not, so she said "I am suppose to look ath this card now, right?", and before I could tell her once again I was not doing a trick, she pulled the card that was still sticking out. To her amazement (and mine), the 3 of diamonds had somehow changed into a Jack of clubs. She was completely amazed and begged me to tell her how I did that. I couldn't tell her, I didn't know my self (I would not have told her even if I did know at that moment). The problem was, it WAS NOT a trick. I couldn't figure out how it happened, but then I remembered when I first took the top card off of the deck....There was my answer!

So I did what any self respecting (beginner) practitioner would do, I said to my wife, "You got me. It was all part of the trick!". But it really wasn't, it was all one big mistake of me playing with a deck of cards, my wife watching me, me asking her if she wants to see a trick, me getting too board to do a trick, and her grabbing the cards before I put the card back in the deck. But this little mishap actually energized me, as I asked my wife for the deck back.

I quickly went into the bathroom and recreated the whole thing in front of a mirror. This time it was all done on purpose. After practising this for about 2 hours, I now had another trick I could do, all by accident!!!!!!!!!

Is this an actual magic trick (if so, what is its name) that I just learned without studying or did I just discover something brand new by mistake?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27016 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ordinarily one uses a DL or a TC (top change) to effect this sort of thing in the context of the ambitious card, though to different effect. There is a wonderful gaffed method for doing a card change from the center of the deck, and just recently a guy offered a booklet on a similar change that can even be done face up.

Good things happen sometimes when bored but conscious.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Did I discover this............ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL