The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Do you consider Michael Close as an excellent card technician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tlfdoc
View Profile
New user
Appleton, WI
27 Posts

Profile of tlfdoc
Michael Close is a great reviewer, doesn't pull punches in the MAGIC column he used to write. I saw him a earlier this year at the Magic Castle and didn't care for his performance style. He actually seemed to alienate the audience at the downstairs bar, something pretty hard to do for that place on a Saturday night.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Is Michael Close a talented card technician?

Absolutely YES. If you don't think he is, you probably aren't familiar with his published works or you have not seen him perform with a deck in his hands.

Kaylan
Michael Cords
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Michael Cords
I think part of the problem (for lack of a better word) is that Mike chooses to hide his skill. He very rarely does anything flashy, quick or obviously skillful. If you are familiar with his work, you know that his definition of magic includes the lack of a rational explanation. So every move has to appear totally fair and free of sleights.

Also, he focuses more on performance for laymen than magicians. We magicians like to see displays of skill. I know I do when watching another magician. Sometimes it is not enough for a magician to fool or impress laymen, but I want to see him impress me. But that is really for conventions or sessions. It is not what is required of a working professional, as Mike certainly is.

For the record, I attended Mike's lecture a few months ago and afterword a few of us walked up to him to ask about tips on certain sleights we had trouble with. I can say that he definately has the chops!

-Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Do you consider Michael Close as an excellent card technician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL