The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
I also have a 101 tricks booklet and a couple of TT's. I'm finding a little hard to fit stuff in there though. Is anyone of you experimenting the same? For example, a simple paper napkin goes in there and my thumb won't fit anymore, same with hankies or some coins. Maybe the TT are small for my thumb size, but the guy at the store helped me out picking it and said it was the right size for me.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I use a thumb tip a lot and my experience is that you cannot fit napkins, handkerchiefs, or even whole cigarettes into it. You must stick with things like part of a napkin (just a corner that you can pull out enough to give the spectator a peek of what is assumed to be a complete napkin, etc. Even to vanish a cigarette, it may be necessary to remove some of the tobacco or vanish a half-smoked cigarette so it will be small enough to fit. In a normal size Vernet thumb tip, I can fit only 1 six-inch fine silk comfortably. In the large Vernet tip, I can fit one or two rainbow streamers or 3 six-inch silks. However, paper napkins, etc. are too thick. My silks are very fine/thin. These, along with the silk streamers can be purchased at most magic shops. I also second Richard's comments. Patrick Page's Secret Seminar video on thumb tips is excellent and shows much better handling technique than in any of the booklets mentioned.
Hope this is of some help.
Nicholas
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Sure Nicholas, thanks a lot! I will try some things to see what I can fit in there and use that. I'm off to get some 6" silks and start from there. Thanks...
sweiss
View Profile
New user
Guam
49 Posts

Profile of sweiss
Do you have any suggestions for a TT that will accommodate magicians with a darker complexion? I'm a magic dealer and have many Filipino customers who enjoy magic. I have used a TT, but my complexion is much lighter. While in New Orleans, I observed and talked with a very dark skinned magician who overcame the light color of the TT by merely keeping his hands moving and only briefly displaying his lighter palms to attempt to give the impression of showing his hands empty. I have noticed that the vinyl TTs I get from Loftus are more brown, but does anyone have any suggestions regarding 1.) The importance of matching the TT with one's skin color and 2.) Routines that actually hide the TT so that the wise are not even aware of the TT's use?
Stephen Weiss, owner
New Planet Online Magic Shop
http://www.newplanetmagic.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
After doing tt effects and I sense someone around who seem to know about the tt, I offer to repeat the effect this time using a pull.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Rannie: a pull? can you explain a little bit more about this please?
Missy_Magic
View Profile
New user
Australia
40 Posts

Profile of Missy_Magic
I do the dissapearing Hankey. Try pulling it from a table cloth or someone's clothing. Its mind boggling! Laymen LOVE it!

--->Wynsome Smile
--->Email me<---
wynsome@fce.com.au
<><....><>....<><....><>
F R O G
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Cut and restored ribbon is a great TT trick.

Another is vanishing and reappearing salt.

I would suggest that you use a 9" silk for vanishing hank with a TT. Or a 18" to 24" with a pull. The 18" is closest to a regular hankerchief.

Catch me at a convention sometime and I 'll show you how I vanish a 24" silk with a TT. It will a make a magician who thinks he knows how it is done, scratch his head a few times.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Lagrange
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Lagrange
I love my TT. Sure, some spectators know it, but never underestimate the desire of your audience to be fooled.

It sounds like you may not have had the right fit on yours. Go to your local magic shop (if you have one, you lucky slob) and try a few on. Color changing/vanishing silks is a great routine, but at the end of the day there are literally hundreds of effects you can pull off. Use your imagination. Just keep it pointed at them or moving.

In my opinion, the best advice I can give you is that for most spectators, THEY DON'T SEE IT. Act accordingly and have fun!
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
One of my favorite is the bill switch. Kevin James has a three volume set called Rules of Thumb. Pretty neat stuff.
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
JEFFC
View Profile
New user
RI
70 Posts

Profile of JEFFC
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 00:32, jmsilhy wrote:
Rannie: a pull? can you explain a little bit more about this please?

p279 (softcover) Mark Wilson's "Complete Course..." You can make your own.
master121
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of master121
My favorite is the dissapearing hanky. There are so many effects you can use with a TT
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Ok, my Wilson's "Complete Course..." is on it's way, I guess I'll learn a lot from there, and I wonder, are there any tricks with a TT in that book?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jmsilhy,

You are going to be a busy man.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JEFFC
View Profile
New user
RI
70 Posts

Profile of JEFFC
Quote:
On 2004-01-30 15:17, jmsilhy wrote:
Ok, my Wilson's "Complete Course..." is on it's way, I guess I'll learn a lot from there, and I wonder, are there any tricks with a TT in that book?

I haven't seen any, but I haven't been through the book either, in fact you probably have more experience than me. I just happened to notice the pull awhile back and marked the page because it looked interesting. Still haven't tried it myself.
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Michael Ammar has a nice chapter in his book on the finer points of the TT.

MoonBeam
Renegade
View Profile
New user
Buffalo, New York
59 Posts

Profile of Renegade
I like the prior post about the sugar cube, I find silk work best with the TT
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
A couple of years ago I saw a guy giving a lecture about TT use and to demonstrate it, he did his routine with an all black TT. He was just showing how it's proper use will not be detected.
Brian
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I didn't believe others when I they said you could perform with a red thumbtip until I really learned how to use a thumbtip. I picked up Rules of Thumb and the performers really stress which tells give indication that you're using a thumbtip and how to naturally avoid them. From tape 1, I use Steve Valentine's silk to tie routine which is to vanish a silk, make it reappear, and repeat the vanish allowing the spectator to help tuck in the silk, then you pull it from their tie or sleeve or jacket. The handling used on Rules of Thumb makes the tip invisible. My wife knows I have used a thumb tip, but I performed a children's routine for her where I vanish a silk which typically is her tell that I've used a thumb tip. With the improved handling, she didn't see, know or get any sense of the TT. She was amazed. Quickly put, keep the tip hidden in a natural way. It's possible and amazing when performed correctly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL