The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can't Get Into My Computer's BIOS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have an HP 8756c that came with Windows ME, but upgraded to XP Home.

I just got a new video card. I plugged in an adapter (that came with the card) into the card (on the back of my PC), plugged in my monitor into the adaptor - nothing, just a black screen.

I called the store - they said I needed to change the BIOS setting so the monitor reads from the card and not the motherboard. They said press F1 after rebooting.

Well, neither F1, nor any other combo I can think of will work. Store claims ignorance, etc...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
A monitor, if it is not standard and easy to read by windows Plug n play feature, should come with software. If it didn't, try booting off a floppy disk. The picture on the screen might look really bad, but you should be able to get into the "safe mode" that way and reach the bios.

Good luck.

P.S. you can go online to the minitor company and see if you can download their updated driver.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Does that mean just putting in any floppy disk and then rebooting?

Sorry, but I'm in over my knowledge level on this one!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I believe on an HP, you need to be pressing the DELETE key to enter BIOS, not F1 ... turn it on, and start pressing DELETE over and over again (don't just hold it down). Failing that, try to google your computer to see if it's another key.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
824 Posts

Profile of magico
When your computer is booting up you need to see which command it gives you to get into the bios - for example when my computer is booting it states to hit del to enter setup. Then I go to my power setting and there is a setting to turn the onboard video card off.

Patrick Guida
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
OK, finally got into BIOS. I had to Boot up the computer with the monitor connected to the new video card.

Now, the guy at the store said to enable something to do with the PCI. THe only thing I see that says PCI brings me to 4 lines - they are PCI 1, 2, 3 and 4. Each one had 3 settings you can change. One is already enabled, the second I enabled on all of them to no avail. The 3rd was something called "Latency Timer". Didn't touch it.

I need to find - as the above post says - how to turn off the onboard video card (or keep it from using the motherboard) to allow the monitor to work from being plugged into the card. Nothing in BIOS seems to fit that, that I can see....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
OK, this is a real howler....

- I can only access BIOS when my monitor is plugged into the new card (as
opposed to where I would normally plug it in).

- I did find where is says, Select 'Disable On-board Video' - HOWEVER, I cannot
make that selection. I click on the Video Boot area, and all it does is give
me an option for how much memory I want (512k or 1mb) in the Onboard Video.
It simply doesn't show "Disable On-board Video" except in the 'directions'.

- I thought that if I plugged my monitor into the regular spot, it might allow
that selection to appear, but of course, when I do that, all I get is a black
screen, as before. For all I know the BIOS is there but the monitor will not
show it!

Unreal. Any thoughts are most welcome!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Remove the new vid card, connect monitor to old port. Run bios and see if you can now deselect the onboard vid option, if yes then install new card, attach monitor and boot.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I cannot run BIOS with th monitor plugged in to the motherboard's monitor outlet. Believe me, I have tried! :^)
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Take the new card out of the computer, you should then be able to get into BIOS with the old monitor.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4290 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Wow...

I'd say take it to a computer place or get a friend's kid who is a computer kid to fix it, it sounds like it could be fixed in 5 minutes...

First off, if you can get into the bios with the monitor plugged into the video card, then why do you need to change bios settings at all?

If you can see the bios, then that means the vid card is working so what are you trying to do?

Quote:
I can only access BIOS when my monitor is plugged into the new card

If you can get video with monitor plugged into new card, then doesn't windows work with it too?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
For whatever reason, when I plug the monitor into the motherboard the screen is black util Windows comes up - if I press F1 it never gets to Windows - it is probably in BIOS, but the screen is black.

If I plug the monitor into the Card I can see all the preliminary stuff on screen and get into (and see) BIOS, but even though it tells me I should be able to select "Disable On-board Video", no amount of clicking (or actually, pressing keys) will make that option come up in order to disable it.

I should be able to get some local help today. Thanks for trying.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where to start...

I used google to get some idea of the problem. Typed in the HP... and here is what I found:

http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=23407

Hope this helps,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thanks, Jon.

I have tried some forums - no clear answers yet.

Going to take the PC back into the store to have them "make it right" (if possible), and also talk to our IT guy at work.

I'll post when its over!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
It sounds that if the onboard vid is greyed then the new card is overriding it. It also sounds like the new card has no dos drivers installed.
Look at installing a generic dos driver to get you started.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
OK Mark try this.

HP bought out Compac and you might have one of those all on the board types. If you have your manuel, it should show you a 'jumper' (three or two prongs) with a black square. Real tiny about 1/4 inch square. This jumper disables the on board video and allows for the new video card to work. It can be on the mother board anywhere. If it is clear then it needs to be crossed with the jumper. If not then take it off and cover only one prong. The mother board might have VID written next to it, but not always. Many times it's near where the video ports come out of the back of the unit. If you are lucky it may have a switch but I doubt it because those boards are mass produced cheaply.

Also you may need to set one of the Interrupts in the bios to 11 or 9 so no other device shares that interrupt causing problems.

It's easy to do if one knows what to do, other wise, grab a college kid or some local guru to help you. The other option is to let a techniction do it for your.
Dennis Michael
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It is fixed.

Here is what happened:

- took it back to the store

- they confirmed that what I was saying was right

- it was, indeed, impossible to do what they told me to do over the phone - use the Bios to disable the onboard monitor.

- they went into My Computer, Properties and Device Manager, and found something I had not. He tried to disable one monitor and bring up the other.

- We hooked up a monitor to each outlet (motherboard and card).

- At first, one monitor had all the icons, while the other had just the toolbars.

- He worked a little bit more and got it done.

I had expected them to have done that in the first place. However, they were taking into consideration that I might want to use 2 monitors at the same time and therefore did not disable anything.

All is well.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. They will be valuable in the future, I'm sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can't Get Into My Computer's BIOS (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL