The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Drunk/Buzzed Driving (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The responsibility will always lie with the individual. You can't blame the alcohol for the bad choices you make when you're sober before taking that first drink. I am a major lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I've been drunk twice in my life...once at a college party and once as part of a law enforcement DUI training class...our tax dollars at work. The first time, I awoke to embarrassing tales of what this drunk kid had done...and discovered that this kid was me. The second time...well...that was 20 years ago and they still talk about the sergeant who vanished and was later found snoring under the Breathalyzer table. Lesson learned. I know I have no tolerence for booze...so I avoid it.

Anyone who seriously believes that alcohol enhances their ability to function is a fool and deserves to have his life ripped out from under him...or her...befoer they destroy someone else's. No matter how you slice it, dice it or stew it...it is a personal responsibility and there should be no excuses accepted when it blows up in their faces. Education is important...and I'm glad to see more of it. But, it only works when the target takes it seriously and learns from it. Without consistent and merciless administration of harsh penalties, you'll never get these people to take notice. When the mule refuses to notice the carrot, a 2x4 makes a great motivator.

Pardon me...my badge is showing...
Skip :o)
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-08-09 13:09, Payne wrote:
Peer pressure plays a big part in this as well and many people are offended if you refuse their offer of them buying you a drink.

If this is the case, I won't be hanging out with these people.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Respect yourself. Just say no. That's what I do. Some people may look at you funny. But eventually they'll respect your choice. And if they don't, what kind of "peers" are they? If they disrespect you, I would take kihei kid's advice. Find some new peers.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
As someone who was a truck driver for 10 years I can flat out tell you MANY people should not be behind the wheel of an automobile

As someone who's been driving a car for 33 years...I can flat out tell you most truck drivers don't belong behind the wheel of a truck.

Mike
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 11:54, mike gallo wrote:
As someone who's been driving a car for 33 years...I can flat out tell you most truck drivers don't belong behind the wheel of a truck.

Don't know that I agree with you that MOST should not be driving but you are right MANY should not. Like I said, as someone who drove for a living 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week for 10 years I have seen a lot, more than most will see in their lifetime.

Truck drivers are always out there so the odds for them getting in an accident (or close call) obviously goes way up, combine that with the FACT that a big rig is HORRIBLE at stopping and maneuvering along with people that can’t drive worth beans or don’t understand how difficult it is to drive a truck and you can clearly see why some accidents can occur.

When I was driving a typical day for me would be cursing along doing 50 miles an hour in the slow lane giving EXTRA room for the car in front of me when someone else decides to make a lane change directly in front of me, oblivious to the fact that the truck they just cut in front of weighs 15 times more than them, has air brakes and does not stop like their little lightweight automobile with 4 wheel disc brakes.

IMHO you should have to pass a defensive driving course before you get your license, driving is a privilege not a right.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Truck driving....my father drove a truck in one form or another for over 30 years until his recent retirement. During part of that time, he was a certified D.O.T. Defensive Driving instructor. I've had defensive driving techniques taught to me since before I could legally drive (I was the proof-reader and guinea pig for my dad's classes). The one thing I've learned is that there are many factors that can influence one's driving abilities...not just drinking. Some simple techniques I have learned are 1) Aim High in Steering, 2) See the Big Picture, and 3) Leave Yourself an Out!
Now, one question I'd like to pose to some of you is how often do you pay attention to the reduced speeds in construction zones, or do you zip through at full speed? I can't count the number of times I've almost been hit by traffic (both cars and big trucks) zipping through construction zones at 55+ mph. I know people who have been seriously injured and a couple who have been killed because they were just out there doing their job, but someone was in too much of a hurry to slow down or wasn't paying attention in the work zone. We aren't out there on the other side of the orange barrels for the fun of it! We have a job to do, and as the sign going into my workplace states, "Someone expects you home tonight!"

Off my soapbox now...
Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Responsibility is a good thing, BUT, the punishment has to be bad enough to make the person NOT WANT TO BE PUNISHED LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!! How many times has there been a story about a drunk driver who killed someone and THIS WOULD BE THEIR 4TH OR 5TH OFFENSE for drunk driving????????

As for underage drinking I have a solution that NO POLITICIAN HAS THE GUTS TO EVEN PROPOSE...If a kid under 16, is caught with even 1 beer they lose their drivers license until their 18, if over 16 then it's 21, second time 25. Caught driving without a license 6 months IN JAIL.

That's a tough punishment, but if you REALLY WANT TO STOP underage drinking then it has to be a bad thing to do. Same thing with somking, if you REALLY want to stop it make the punishment not worth it.

Thanks,
BigJeff
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Interestingly, North Carolina just passed a law making it illegal for an individual under the age of 21 years to have a blood-alcohol level over 0.0%...whether they're a driver, passenger, pedestrian or sitting on their own front porch. It's no longer an issue of catching the underage drinker with beverage in hand or being in control of a vehicle. We'll see how well it's enforced.

Unfortunately, I have one personal conflict with these laws that bothers me...and that's the fact that a young man or woman 18 years of age may serve their country in the military...may, sadly, even give their life for this country...yet, they are not free to order a beer or enjoy a wine cooler. I understand the purpose. I acknowledge the need. I will forever condemn the irresponsible drunks and the deadly draw of binging and alcoholism. Yet, having an Army daughter who just returned from a year in Iraq and celebrated her 21st birthday this past April...I understand their frustration with this.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Skip,

Tell your daughter thanks for serving. Let the soliders drink on base all they want.

Big Jeff
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Thanks, Jeff. Dang kid wants to go back. Yessir...that's MY kid!!! :o) And it's a whole different breed and a vastly different world than the one I returned to from Saigon. But that's another thread!

Skip

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24289 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I lost a nephew to a drunk driver several years ago. Her car hit my sister's car so hard that it knocked Jason out of his seat belt and through the window. He was dead instantly.

The woman who did the job on my relatives had been previously convicted of DUI more than once. This time, she did time. Her own attorney undermined the case. The judge was a lady. The drunk's attorney told her to dress nicely for the trial. She came in wearing thick makeup, a miniskirt and a teddy. Her attorney just let it slide. Each time she came up for parole, we sent letters to the parole board recommending that she stay in jail. She served her whole sentence, less mandatory time off for good behavior.

Crimes like these became so frequent in Texas, that the law regulating bars tightened way up. Bartenders are required to take training on how to recognize drunks. If they THINK a customer is drunk, they are required to quit serving him. And if a drunk customer has an accident, the bartender and the bar are also named in the proceedings.

Contrary to what you might think, this hasn't hurt the bar business in Texas a bit. It has cut the number of drunk drivers a little, but not enough for my taste.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

I have quite a bit to say about drinking and driving, but instead of going into all of my personal feelings, I will simply offer the following link to a page on our website. (Please note that the article was written about two years ago, so certain bits of information--such as the age of my daughter--reflect the time that it was originally released.)

http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com/why.html

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Drunk/Buzzed Driving (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL