The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Who here "loves" to practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
NCR
View Profile
New user
Northfield Mount Hermon, MA
61 Posts

Profile of NCR
I love to practice, and always have my cards with me. It isn't unusual for me to practice some new move while talking to a friend. While waiting for anything, I take out my deck of cards, normally trying to improve my classic pass, something that really needs work for me.
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
I guess it depends on what kind of practice is it.

For me, practicing oil and water (DL) for 15 mins drives me nuts. (yes, I did gave up that trick very soon)

But I enjoy every second of practicing hummerbird card and floating bill. It's fun to have the image in mirror fools myself badly.

Setting up your own priority. Practicing what you enjoy first.

Btw, I do find myself spend more time on reading than practicing. Any newbie share the same experience?
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
george kaye
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of george kaye
Dear Gaddy,
I sense from your letter that you are looking for easy ways to entertain which do not entail practice.
Please do not go down the selfworker road. It looks OK but if you can walk into the store and buy the latest 'no skill required' effect - so can anybody else! By all means use the self workers, but get the skill to back it up in case you are challenged.
Just a personal thought but it has stood me in good stead.
George.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
When using so-called "self-working" tricks, although you don't need the manual dexterity that you do using sleight-of-hand tricks, you do get to spend all your energies on the presentation of the trick. That's where the skill (and practice) comes in.
James Gornto
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of James Gornto
Quote:
On 2005-08-09 05:07, KRZ4kardz wrote:
...A knife's edge is only as keen as you hone it. With use it becomes dull, but with a few strokes of a strop or stone, it becomes sharp once again. So it is with magic, learn to enjoy it by practicing it! Jcards01 said it best.

<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>

Man, do I have a problem making myself practice. So this topic certainly caught my attention and THIS POST makes such an apt analogy. Thanks for the encouragement!
...James Gornto
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
I love to practice. At work I spend most of the day with a palmed coin. When I'm at home and watching TV or something I'll just practice random shuffles with my cards. I don't see it as hard work, it's more like something to do with my hands! And it's starting to pay off. I'm working my way through RRTCM at the moment and some of the effects I was good at before come much more naturally now.
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I love practicing especially with new things cause you get ot play around with them and figure out new ways to present them!
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
There's nothing wrong with self working tricks. You do miss the satisfaction of learning a new skill and innovation comes from repetition. The quickest way to repetition is practice.

So, if you really want to wow someone without expending the effort, why not just buy a performance DVD of Chris Angel and watch it with them?

If you want to wow them with YOUR ability then, well, maybe you should take the time to gain some.
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
I love practicing. I always have a deck of cards on me. Any spare second I spend doing magic.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I too don't like to practice. I won't say I hate it but I find the discpline is sometimes just not there. I have recently gotten some of my old card books out and have made an attempt to practice some of the slights. It really boils down to the discipline we have if we are goiong to practice or not. I am trying and hopefully I will someday be fairly adept at some of the moves I want to learn. After going on a hiatis from magic for some time I find it a little harder to get back to doing what I should be doing, and that is the practice side of it.

Steven
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
*Raising hand* I do! I do! On my spare time, I try to practice. Even when I'm not doing anything, I'd usually play around with the coins in my pocket, a pack of cards on my desk, or the rubberbands lying around, etc. All the practice you do will help you out in the end.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I've recently started using a journal to record my thoughts, what I've practiced, etc. At the end of each day, I like to write what I'm going to work on the next day. I have a limited amount of time, and so I can't practice everything. Keeping the journal seems to be helping me with self-discipline. It's good to see what you've achieved.
johnwolfe
View Profile
New user
gettysburg, PA
48 Posts

Profile of johnwolfe
Tarbell remarked in Vol. I of his great encyclopedia that buying a magic trick and thinking you ar a magician is like someone buying a violin and thinking they are now a violinist. The difference is practice. The great magicians of the past practiced to perfection. Did they enjoy it...probably not. However, they had the drive and determination to excell at their craft.

Think of all the time we waste each day which could be devoted to practice. Is it fun? Of course not. Otherwise everyone would be great magicians. It is, as with all things, a matter of setting priorities. When our lives are over and we look back, our happiness and success will be determined more by what we chose not to do than by what we chose to do. I, for one, could choose to waste less time during my day but that is easier said than done. As others have said before, an amatuer practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong.

Please forgive this little lecture. I write it as much as a reminder to myself as anything else.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Good words Johnwolf. I especially like what you said, "an amatuer practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong". So very true. It is the descipline that I now find hard to follow through on. I am sure it is something that I will overcome because if I want to do the magic that I chose to do I must overcome the laziness to make it to,or as close as I can come,perfection.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I LOVE to practice. I can sit in front of the tv watching whatever is on and work on my card and coin technique for hours. Very relaxing.

I HATE to rehearse. That is getting into costume and performing my show as if I am really AT a paid performance. Sigh...
Brad Burt
TerryLam
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TerryLam
Yes, I love practise.
I do all of the false cut and sleights I have learned before practise some of my faviorite tricks.
I like the feeling of getting smoother and better, and sometimes new idea comes up during my practise.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-02-08 03:58, TerryLam wrote:
Yes, I love practise.

and sometimes new idea comes up during my practise.
You have stated what constitutes the developement of magical effects. If you look at someone who is a fine artist that paints in oils you will see the result of many hours of practice and experimentation. In the beginning that person began to practice and master the basics such as color theory, composition, finding out all the properties of his chosen medium (oil paint in this case). Once he had a handle on this, a style and technique of his own began to evolve and he began to create & express his own unique view of the world around him. So it is with magic the creation begins with a knowledge and mastery of the "tools" (sleights). An idea or plot is born and with the acquired tools the idea/plot becomes a creation & thus a reality. If you see it in this perpective then creating becomes the natural progression. Try to practice with a purpose, let your mind & imagination go and never give up. BTW I love to practice!! And remember this famous quote...Never attempt, in public, anything that cannot be performed with the utmost ease,in private.">>>> Maskelyne/Devant. Smile Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 18:09, Bill Thomas wrote:
Unfortunatly, in today's society we want instant gradification.

Practice will seperate the serious from the less serious magician. The pay-off is well worth it.

I support your thoughts fully, Bill.

Magicians that are recognised and respected are those that spend hours and hours practicing.
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 10:56, jonnyfingers wrote:
I love to practice. At work I spend most of the day with a palmed coin. When I'm at home and watching TV or something I'll just practice random shuffles with my cards.

so if you are practising anywhere, how about the people watching you? Aren't they very likely to catch on on what you are doing?
Especially if you are practising?

Edith
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I think you make a good point, Edith! I don't practice anywhere that other people can see what I'm doing. If you're palming a coin in public that's one thing, but I wouldn't be practicing false shuffles in public. I believe Henning Nelms makes that point in "Magic and Showmanship."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Who here "loves" to practice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL