The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Whats offensive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I have had complaints about what I do and the way I present it for more years than I care to remember.
Time will eventually find that your paid gigs will be the ones that like what you do and the way you do it so you get known for being saucy, for sticking knives in your arm for banging nails in your head.This is great but it takes time to become type cast.
Drawbacks are that many shows will avoid you like the plague, positive is that you can command a good fee from the bookers requireing a stronger presentation.I refer to working the showgrounds only.
Street work is a problem.
Your show is made up of passer by punters,,,,,punters not aware of your presentation style. It would take pages here to annalise this here but the lowdown is to give them,not you, the goods they expect. In other words grovel or kiss ass in order to ply the cash from their sweaty little palms.
Yes, in this case, the speckies are always right!!

You will never please everyone,,,,some people find offence in everything so you go for the majority pull.

Over the years I have found the following statement a true get out for an audience who may have been offended by my style or effects.

Ladies and Gentlemen, before you leave I would like to state from the bottom of my heart that if I have offended anyone, anybody at all here today.

I couldn't GIVE A ***!

It works, it gets you off on a laugh, it takes the sting out of their bite, try it.

Ken.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2410 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 22:31, mandrake01 wrote:
OK, _some_ people can get offended at _anything._ Is there something we can agree on that would be _objectivly_ offensive under any circumstances?

Two words: "The Aristocrats."

If you don't know, it is the most offensive joke in the world, bar none.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I really like this gig but don't think that I can change my character to fit these people...nice people but g-rated and I'm not...i think I'm as successful as about any one in the world doing magic on the streets but there is an easier way.....time has made me the way I am and my show the way it is...it works...it works really well...makes me money in the harshest of situation and I'm proud of it....and changingg it is not going to happen, I will play it nicer but in the end I will go because I cant change on a dime...i have found my place even if I don't like it...and I guess I do

koz
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Koz, you are great. Do not be the status quo pleaser. Cultivate that strength, magical magic and your wonderful character. Make the offensive folks bite the dust.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I agree with you 100%, Evolve. From all I've heard and read, Koz is great at what he does. But ya gotta please the man who pays the bills...and, as Koz says, if the whiners bend the boss's ear often enough...sooner or later, the man may have to let even a star attraction like Koz go.

Sometimes, I think back to that original Star Trek episode where Spock, Kirk and Chekov transport into an alternate universe...and the evil Kirk has this GREAT device that makes people vanish with the push of a button. I wish...

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2005-08-09 18:41, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 22:31, mandrake01 wrote:
OK, _some_ people can get offended at _anything._ Is there something we can agree on that would be _objectivly_ offensive under any circumstances?

Two words: "The Aristocrats."

If you don't know, it is the most offensive joke in the world, bar none.

I think that "The Aristocrats" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. I don't find it offensive in the least, and I know many people who feel the same way. So I don't think that passes the test of being "objectively" offensive.

If the acts described in that joke were being performed in front of my face, THEN I might be offended. But I don't think there's anything offensive about the joke itself.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I really like working in the night time and this is one of those rare night time pitches...i love it...i'm getting old guys and I feel the sun these days much more than I did in the past...i can still rock but I just don't want to as much...no what I mean....

we=ll see how it goes....but it is an interesting topic isn't it....people complain about anything

koz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-08-09 22:48, tedb wrote:
I can still rock but I just don't want to as much...no what I mean....

Ha-ha! Middle age being that gray area where you can remember what it's like to drink grain alcohol from a dirty garbage can, but you now have a hard time with dairy!

It softens the fight, but the dog still reacts. I've never had a use for zealots. People who push their morality on others... AARRGGHH!!! But another thing that tends to come with being middle-aged is the knack for picking your battles.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
There are the occassional crack pots that don't get it - I would just point to the office and tell them "you can leave a complaint there, make sure you mention the part about magic being evil so they can get a good laugh too".

If somebody doesn't want to move in and watch my show, I don't try to make them by insulting their shirt. I shift my focus to the people that are coming in, a form of misdirection. If they see other people moving in, they may decide to move in themselves. I see it as the glass if half-full, not half-empty.

If somebody wants to walk away, I don't dare speak up ... instead I shift my focus to the other side of the crowd, again misdirection - I keep people focus'd on the people that are staying to enjoy the show. Again, I remain posative even when water spills out of the glass.

I'm also very picky about my edge - your edge will make or break you. I'll wait 20 minutes (sometimes even longer) waiting for just the right group of people to come along. There is a certain look in people, you only learn it from experience. The look of fear that you want something from them. You can easily spot it in say a flea market - when you say "how you doing" to someone, they will respond "oh I'm just looking". Nevermind that I wasn't planning on selling them anything, I was just being a good sourthen boy by greeting them like mamma taught me. But they are affraid I'm going into a salepitch ... those people do not make a good edge, I'd rather wait for a good edge than settle for a bad one.

If you force a bad edge on yourself, that is to say they are standing there because you told them to not because they want to be ... then maybe you are setting yourself up for them to complain?

I can also suggest you try to read the person better before making the joke ... try a teaser line, and see how they respond - something not as offensive. If they giggle or smile for that one, then go in for the harder line. But if they respond negative, then let them walk to avoid the complaint and use the line on someone else. Maybe that would help?

JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
JoeJoe,

That was an awesome post. It is contradictory to what I have learned in most books, but it really makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna try it out. I like the idea of not making notice of people leaving. Chances are, the people leaving have already made the decision to leave, and poking fun at them is not likely to bring them back, plus you risk looking like an "donkey" for saying something. So long as these poeple are not the key edge, who cares. Since they are near the back they are also not as likely to tip and just take up fresh punter space anyway.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
I just heard that the Florida State Seminoles will not be allowed to compete in post season turnaments. The NCAA as decided that the word Seminole offends Native Americans,same with any teams called Braves, warriors, Chiefs or Indians.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 18:28, constantine wrote:
I just heard that the Florida State Simenoles will not be allowed to compete in post season turnaments.

You heard wrong.

First, it's "Seminoles".

Second, the ruling doesn't take effect until February.

Third, the ruling simply says that they may not use their mascot, emblem, and name; they will still be allowed to compete.

Fourth, they can appeal the ruling. Inasmuch as the Chief of the Seminole tribe gives his full support to Florida State using the name - he rides a horse as their mascot at football games - there's a good chance that the appeal will be successful in their case.

Fifth, the ruling applies only to NCAA tournaments; the BCS, for example, has not adopted the ban.

Also, Warriors should not be on your list. Cal State Stanislaus uses the name "Warriors" but it is not subject to the ban because their emblem is that of a Trojan. On the other hand, "Illini" and "Utes" are on the list.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Ten things that are offensive

1. Sticking a *** in your ***.
2. *** a *** into another ***.
3. Swallowing three ***!
4. George Bush's left *** but not his ***.
5. If your over 30, then *** a *** onto a pole.
6. The smaller of the two ***.
7. David Blaine's frozen ***.
8. ***
9. The Aristocrats
10. *** *** *** and ***!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I was at a Lance Burton performance during an early Desert Magic Seminar (before it became WMS)

Michael Godot (sp?) was performing his juggling act. One of his featured "bits" is is to put a large rubber band around his head like a headband. By raising his eyebrows he lets the band pop up, tying his hair into a sort of sumo wrestler tuft with his eyes pulled back into slits. He then continues with a hilarious sumo parody juggling routine.

In the audience was Ton Onosaka. The room went quiet as all eyes turned to him to see if he was offended. When they saw he was nearly rolling in the aisle with laughter, they finally decided it was appropriate to laugh too.

Sometimes we're just plain oversensitive.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 19:26, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Sometimes we're just plain oversensitive.

Amen!

Just ask the Seminoles.
a martini
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of a martini
Sometimes, it's alright to offend.

The Beatles had long hair and people were offended, but eventually
... it became more acceptable.

We have more freedom as performers today because past entertainers
have offended audiences and continure to do so. On the other hand, SOME
remarks are unreasonably offensive and in my opinion, unacceptable.

If you want to make Money as a street performer though, SOME offensive
lines can hurt the hat.

Martini
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1654 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
People who advertise themselves as polite, then mak fun of dyslexics.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I, for one, never make fun of scixelsyd.

;)
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1654 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Good enough for me.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
magic_sailor
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magic_sailor
I once was walking around in Seattle and one of my friends was trying to pick up on this one girl. So he told me to start doing some simple card tricks to draw a crowd so that he would have something to talk to her about. Well quite frankly doing magic doesn't bother me at all so I said ok. Well about 5 min into it I was doing a trick to the girls friend that my freind was trying to hook up with. Well her boyfriend started getting mouthy and interrupting everything. (which to me is more offensive than anything you could say or do) so I looked at him and told him to pick a card. He did and I had him replace it into the deck. Then I finished the trick on his girlfriend. At the end he asked me what the card he picked was for and I told him it was to get him to shut up.

So what I am saying is that if one person out of many makes a scene, they are the rude and offensive ones and need a good verbal beating.
~N~
MAGIC: for those who believe no excuse is necessary. for those who don't none will sufice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Whats offensive? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL