The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The Art of Conversation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
The Oxford dictionary defines conversation as "The informal exchange of ideas by spoken words." We are graced with a wonderful gift in the form on the internet. Our thoughts, feelings, likes, dislikes, humor, nearly anything anyone wants to talk about, has been given world wide voice. Yet, in our zeal to shout out, speak up and altogether draw attention to ourselves from this new found world audience we have forgotten how to speak, how to listen... how to have a conversation.

The best discussions are often pitted with disagreement. The art of conversation teaches us to disagree as gentleman and ladies. Without name calling or finger pointing. It teaches us that people can be wrong or misinformed and so can we. No one is always right, nor is anyone always wrong. No mater how smart we think we are there is always something left to learn. You never know who you'll learn it from.

The Café' has given me the opportunity to have conversations with a passionate radio man from Quebec, a brilliant (slighty cheeky) locksmith from down under, a cross dressing EA in the UK, a guy named after a wolf (lost somewhere in the world), a pastor who likes to be tied-up, a guy who keeps locking his wife underwater, a busker... and that's only the tip of that iceberg, there are so many more.

These conversations would have never happened without the internet, or the Café'. Why destroy opportunites to converse with the whole world by acting like you live in a cave? Behave already! Have your opinion, disagree, stand up for what you believe, speak your mind... but do it well, do it without ego, don't be snide.

Remember one more thing. When you speak face to face a wink or knowing nod can go a long way to ease a joke or jab at someone. A pat on the back or moving closer can make a disagreement seem less harsh. You can't do that when you type, so think before you speak. It's a little more work to make yourself understood with just the words, but worth it in the end.

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open ones mounth and remove all doubt."

Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Morgon for president, vote now.

great stuff!!!!!

from the slightly cheeky aussie down under.

Ian
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Morgan,

As I am sure that you know, good manners can open many doors in the real world. Some people don't think that they know all the forms and rules of politeness, but if you just act with a good heart you will do fine. The Golden Rule doesn't mean that you ought to smash the guy that dissed you.

I second Ian's nomination!

Yours,

Paul
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dear Lady, I try and try to keep my mouth shut but can't (thus am known for the fool that I am!). Thanks for the balance!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Very well put Morgan!

Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile

Great Post Ms. Morgan.

:D
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The Art of Conversation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL